Anybody here familar with Austin Healy 3000s?

Geeto67

Perhaps our resident expert Geeto67 will chime in.

Thanks for the recognition as "expert". It's nice to hear it outside of a work setting. :p

but seriously, looking at a AH 3000 rolling chassis and was kind of wondering is it just a pile of junk, or a pile of junk with potential.

If it were not a giant headache, what would be your intent with it? IMO if you're not going to take it to the track all the time, it's a waste. LBCs aren't great cars and we don't really have a lot of great roads for them around here. Probably tons of fun for auto-x and vintage track days, but other than that they're so fragile and small they just end up being show/garage queens.

I know a few people who were seduced by the allure of hitting the B-roads with their classic roadster only to find out that it sucks getting stranded 20 miles from civilization and the roads don't have any bends anyways.

Moss motors for parts...if solid, you can make a nice car. always electrical and clutch/brake cylinder issues. Healey 3000 is still popular-think prices are down some from a few years ago

If it were not a giant headache, what would be your intent with it? IMO if you're not going to take it to the track all the time, it's a waste. LBCs aren't great cars and we don't really have a lot of great roads for them around here. Probably tons of fun for auto-x and vintage track days, but other than that they're so fragile and small they just end up being show/garage queens.

I know a few people who were seduced by the allure of hitting the B-roads with their classic roadster only to find out that it sucks getting stranded 20 miles from civilization and the roads don't have any bends anyways.

thanks...

to be honest I am not sure. the chassis is sitting under a "kit car" fiberglass body (not a replica, an original design). I have always heard good things about the 3000 as a vintage sports racer so thought it might be a fun thing to play around with. The goal would be to do auto-x with it but not really compete in any class.

It has no drivetrain, but I have seen plenty of v8 swaps to this chassis in the past (hemi-healy was on the cover of last month's Hot Rod). I have a jeep 5.9 magnum and a pontiac OHC six at my disposal (the six would be neat but I doubt it would fit).

Just kinda wanted a 60's home-built sports racer to dick around with. something with good characteristics but since it is already cut wouldn't be too precious. Was hoping to find something rear engined beetle based but I have come to the conclusion that I don't really fit well in most VW based kit cars with roofs.

thanks...

to be honest I am not sure. the chassis is sitting under a "kit car" fiberglass body (not a replica, an original design). I have always heard good things about the 3000 as a vintage sports racer so thought it might be a fun thing to play around with. The goal would be to do auto-x with it but not really compete in any class.

It has no drivetrain, but I have seen plenty of v8 swaps to this chassis in the past (hemi-healy was on the cover of last month's Hot Rod). I have a jeep 5.9 magnum and a pontiac OHC six at my disposal (the six would be neat but I doubt it would fit).

Just kinda wanted a 60's home-built sports racer to dick around with. something with good characteristics but since it is already cut wouldn't be too precious. Was hoping to find something rear engined beetle based but I have come to the conclusion that I don't really fit well in most VW based kit cars with roofs.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a V8 in a little car. Sunbeam Tiger is on my bucket list of cars to own, and any red-blooded American dreams of a Shelby AC Cobra. Still, I think cars like the AH, Morgans, etc are best when equipped with low-power, smaller/lighter 4 cyls. I've ridden in a V8 swapped Jensen Healey (obviously a newer vehicle) and it was gut-wrenchingly fast. I honestly prefer my friend's old Morgan 4/4 series IV (RHD) with the original 60hp Ford 4-cyl. It's slow as molasses in terms of acceleration, which forces you to focus 100% on car control. Something about the experience of driving that is what the car is truly about. IMO if you wanted to do a V8 swap, there's so many better platforms that won't give you headaches from multiple angles.

TL;DR if you want an old LBC for what it is - that is a failure-prone, slow-but-zippy, "just you and the road" type car - then by all means get an AH3000 and restore it to former glory. But if you want something unique, powerful, different, and this AH you're looking at just seems to check the right boxes, I think there's better options that will also check said boxes.

I think there's better options that will also check said boxes.

make some suggestions. I am kind of looking to recreate that independent 60's race car/sports car feel. doesn't necessarily have to be v8 swapped, but that and a big heavy inline 6 are what I have in my garage already.

the other thought I had was to get a c3 corvette roller and stab in the Pontiac OHC6. Make a sort of poor man's American XKE. Unfortunately C3 prices, even project prices, are stupid right now (beginning of season).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a V8 in a little car. Sunbeam Tiger is on my bucket list of cars to own, and any red-blooded American dreams of a Shelby AC Cobra. Still, I think cars like the AH, Morgans, etc are best when equipped with low-power, smaller/lighter 4 cyls. I've ridden in a V8 swapped Jensen Healey (obviously a newer vehicle) and it was gut-wrenchingly fast. I honestly prefer my friend's old Morgan 4/4 series IV (RHD) with the original 60hp Ford 4-cyl. It's slow as molasses in terms of acceleration, which forces you to focus 100% on car control. Something about the experience of driving that is what the car is truly about. IMO if you wanted to do a V8 swap, there's so many better platforms that won't give you headaches from multiple angles.

TL;DR if you want an old LBC for what it is - that is a failure-prone, slow-but-zippy, "just you and the road" type car - then by all means get an AH3000 and restore it to former glory. But if you want something unique, powerful, different, and this AH you're looking at just seems to check the right boxes, I think there's better options that will also check said boxes.

+1. If the chassis is solid, keep it simple. Little cars can be so much fun when you're not at the mercy of your right foot. Keep the shifter throw long, and the steering rack slow. When you're zipping down a twisty road rowing like a madman, wishing you had 4 hands and 3 feet, and you feel like your Force of Will alone is what's keeping the car on the road, I dare you not to smile so wide the top of your head falls off.

If you want it to be more reliable, you have a long road ahead of you. But the good news is that LBCs are very simple things so making your own wiring harness is not horrendously bad. Hell, you might even be able to find a pre-made one. Drop in a somewhat modern 4-cyl and you'll be able to drive it UP hills as well as home.

make some suggestions. I am kind of looking to recreate that independent 60's race car/sports car feel. doesn't necessarily have to be v8 swapped, but that and a big heavy inline 6 are what I have in my garage already.

the other thought I had was to get a c3 corvette roller and stab in the Pontiac OHC6. Make a sort of poor man's American XKE. Unfortunately C3 prices, even project prices, are stupid right now (beginning of season).

I've got no idea what the price markets for them are like so this is just me spitballing cars. Forgive me if I suggest something that regularly sells for 5-6 figures:

late 60's Datsun roadster, or later models. I immediately thought of this because I grew up near Lime Rock and was a big Paul Newman fan. Along with his LBCs he loved racing Datsuns.

FIAT/Alfa Spider/Duetto (though I'd say this presents the same issues as LBC)

Sunbeam Alpine (only on the list because I want a Tiger)

Studebaker Lark

good suggestions.

Datsun roadster? Like the 1600? I remember seeing the bob sharp cars at vintage events but the unfortunate thing about being over 6' tall is I don't fit in them. In high school I had a buddy with a 240z that we did a SBC swap on and beat on mercilessly (until a tree fell on it) but the price of 240/260/280Z cars is getting a little out of hand.

I do like the alfa spiders but the problem is that the nice ones are too nice to cut up and the "project" ones are really too much of a project. Every time I look at one I end up wanting to "wide body" it with fat tires. I do like the 124, but oddly enough I am kind of drawn to the 124 coupes over the spyder. I had a buddy in Louisiana that used to road race one - it's a cool car for sure but really hard to find.

I hate to break your bubble about this but the sunbeam tiger is a better car on paper than in real life. My father's friend in NY had one and it couldn't handle for crap. Seriously, my GTO handled better. I also don't fit in it to drive it. In theory the 260 ford v8 in a brit chassis should be a winner, but there is a reason carrol shelby dumped these cars after 3 years in favor of focusing on the cobra.

I did the studebaker thing with dad's R2 avanti. If I was going to do something weirdo It would be a commander or maybe an AMC rebel. but that is kinda off the path. I have seen that guy in cali with the "lark roadster" and it's a neat car but that's his thing.

I spoke to the seller this morning and it looks like the frame has some rot in the cross bracing so it is a no go. It's a shame too since it was sitting under a Fiberfab jamacian body, which I think it probably the most beautiful of all the 60's kit cars.

I thought about a corvair, but I had one already years ago and not sure if I want to revisit it. the guy I bought the corvair from in the 90's had a Devin SS road racer that he drove on the street occasionally and I was kind of wanting to recreate that. I thought about getting a bradley and trying to do a mini 60's style can-am car but that's not as useful as I would like to do and my head sticks above the windshield.

There are some Triumph's making the rounds on cl right now, but seem overpriced for what they are imo. Another car to think about I guess could be an old MG. If you want something more modern that handles well, you could look at Miata's. My brother breifly had a turbo Miata, those things are seriously like adult go-karts.

We talked about this - I stumbled into what you're describing by buying my E36 318: lightweight, 50/50 chassis, RWD, 6500rpm-redline highway burner that is simple-yet-robust, with a wide aftermarket of available parts.

Look at E30/E36 318 'verts...you'll have legit seating for 4 adults plus a trunk PLUS air-con and power accessories for under $5k.

If you search enough, there are E46 323/325/328/330's, but IMO they got a little too fat and laden with electronics for their own good. Even with that being said, you've got an OBDII modern car that's still cheaper than the classics, with a fleeting semblance of soul leftover.

We talked about this - I stumbled into what you're describing by buying my E36 318: lightweight, 50/50 chassis, RWD, 6500rpm-redline highway burner that is simple-yet-robust, with a wide aftermarket of available parts.

Look at E30/E36 318 'verts...you'll have legit seating for 4 adults plus a trunk PLUS air-con and power accessories for under $5k.

If you search enough, there are E46 323/325/328/330's, but IMO they got a little too fat and laden with electronics for their own good. Even with that being said, you've got an OBDII modern car that's still cheaper than the classics, with a fleeting semblance of soul leftover.

if you remember our conversation I kept drifting back to E36 318tis and E30 318IS cars...but really if I wanted to stay bmw I would probably look for an E21 (1979-1983 320i) and M42 swap it.

The more I think about it though the more I want to go "classic". I just like old cars more. I am one of those dudes who is actually annoyed by power windows.

I know I started this thread talking about a healey so many assume "roadster" is one of the criteria, but honestly I am not married to the idea of a convertible. fixed roof cars are ok, more trying to recreate that 50's-70's club racer feel.

Think something like this:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Devin/58_Devin_SS_DV-06-MHR_05.jpg

or this:

b8fb8935317f9ac852bbe3490eb9fbc8.jpg