Left ADT for Vivint

Putty

Did I make a mcsteak?

They bought me out of my contract with ADT, gave me three cameras, garage door opener, smart door lock, four light switch modules and a Amazon Echo. I paid $100. System all voice activated. Controls my Nest and everything from the app.

All this shit here....

https://www.youtube.com/user/VivintHome

They have been in my neighborhood in the orange car for about a week and i've seen the orange signs popping up at a lot of houses. I finally stopped and asked to discover they have a great promotion going on now.

He is there: hangs out at home raising other men's kids while his wife is out riding the next John.

OT, that sounds like a lot of tech for the price. I pay $26/month for a more traditional system, though I have an app that lets me set/reset the pad and force police/fire alerts. Cameras and Nest connectivity? Garage door openers? Yes, please!!!

They were gonna cut every wire in my home that was already there to install theirs, so I couldn't go back. I told those shits to kick rocks. $71 a month for an alarm? Fuck that noise.

That's odd. It connected to all my existing ADT stuff. Bro, shit I have in my place is worth the cost a month to protect. Whether it's Vivint or any of the others, I'll never be w/out..

With Vivint's setup you can add any Z-wave product and their system will recognize it, from that perspective I like it. The problem is if you move they expect you to take your system with you and pay the remaining balance on your contract or have the new owner take over your account. With that being said when I sold my last house I had a field day trying to figure out the least expensive way to get rid of their $50 monthly payment.

With Vivint's setup you can add any Z-wave product and their system will recognize it, from that perspective I like it. The problem is if you move they expect you to take your system with you and pay the remaining balance on your contract or have the new owner take over your account. With that being said when I sold my last house I had a field day trying to figure out the least expensive way to get rid of their $50 monthly payment.

Good info to know. Thing that sucks is if at this point I find a reason to back out during this 3 day trial period, I don't know I trust they will hook my ADT shit back up the way it was. Hell, took them 4 hours to do their work.

I have AlarmForce now and it's a fucking joke. I pay $32 a month and it's the most useless, corny system I could ever imagine. They come over the speaker like "alert, it's Alarm Force" and it's dumb as hell. If I was a robber I'd tell them to suck it.

I was on vacation last week and my mom was taking care of our cats...she set the alarm off and didn't know my emergency password...she just explained the situation and they let her off...wtf? They should have arrested my mom.

My 3 year contract with them is up in October and I can't wait. I will be looking for a new system but I sure as hell won't pay $70 (no offense, sounds like a sweet system).

I was on vacation last week and my mom was taking care of our cats...she set the alarm off and didn't know my emergency password...she just explained the situation and they let her off...wtf? They should have arrested my mom.

LMAO!!! Most companies will buy out your contract to get you to switch. I had ADT since 2007 with no issues. I got Pulse about 18 months ago. Pretty solid system.

That's odd. It connected to all my existing ADT stuff. Bro, shit I have in my place is worth the cost a month to protect. Whether it's Vivint or any of the others, I'll never be w/out..

"protect".

I have AlarmForce now and it's a fucking joke. I pay $32 a month and it's the most useless, corny system I could ever imagine. They come over the speaker like "alert, it's Alarm Force" and it's dumb as hell. If I was a robber I'd tell them to suck it.

My 3 year contract with them is up in October and I can't wait. I will be looking for a new system but I sure as hell won't pay $70 (no offense, sounds like a sweet system).

LOL. I set off an alarm at one of our houses. They yelled at me after some crappy quality dog bark sound through their 2" tweeter or whatever. Dude was like, "ALARM FORCE! STATE YOUR PASSWORD!"

I said, "It's maintenance. We own the property and I don't have the password. Just the alarm code. It's (insert whatever 4 digits I was given here)."

He goes, all stern sounding, "THE POLICE ARE BEING DISPATCHED!"

I said, "Cool. Tell them I'll see them soon. I'm gonna go work now."

Did the repair, went out to the truck, filling out paperwork, cops arrive. I roll down the window, announce who I am, show them my work order, company ID, and license, and I roll out. It took them ~45 mins to arrive.

"Protect".

Deter, maybe. But then again, maybe not.

Get a Rott or Shepherd. Maybe a Pit Bull.

"Protect".

That's what I meant...Deter. Dogs in the house....not my thing.

"protect".

LOL. I set off an alarm at one of our houses. They yelled at me after some crappy quality dog bark sound through their 2" tweeter or whatever. Dude was like, "ALARM FORCE! STATE YOUR PASSWORD!"

I said, "It's maintenance. We own the property and I don't have the password. Just the alarm code. It's (insert whatever 4 digits I was given here)."

He goes, all stern sounding, "THE POLICE ARE BEING DISPATCHED!"

I said, "Cool. Tell them I'll see them soon. I'm gonna go work now."

Did the repair, went out to the truck, filling out paperwork, cops arrive. I roll down the window, announce who I am, show them my work order, company ID, and license, and I roll out. It took them ~45 mins to arrive.

"Protect".

A sign indicating an alarm system does 2 things: Tell would-be burglars that there might be easier targets in the area, and tell would-be burglars that this person has enough expensive shit in their house to merit an alarm system.

The actual alarm system is as much for peace of mind as anything. If someone wants to break into your house and take your shit, an alarm system isn't going to stop them. Nor will it likely catch them, nor will it likely get your shit back. But that's OK because you pay for insurance...to get all that shit replaced anyways.

So really you just need to look at the valuable shit and to what extent it is replaceable. Great grandma's antique jewellery? That should be in a safety deposit box. A bunch of high end electronics? All that shit is easily replaced. Guns? Well, yeah you definitely don't want those getting stolen. Still, a nice safe bolted to the foundation is probably a better deterrent than a sign.

So let's look at the cost. Let's use a median of $50/mo. That's $600/year. What's your homeowner's ins. deductible? How many years would it take to equal that deductible? Do you live in a high-crime area, or an area that is prone to burglars/break-ins? Do a lot of people know about the amount of valuables in your home?

IMO home security is one of the biggest rackets in the world. I think just buying a sign for one off eBay is the most cost-effective method, since the money people tend to spend on home security could buy an awful lot of deductibles/replacements/safety deposit boxes for whatever is prone to getting stolen.

A sign indicating an alarm system does 2 things: Tell would-be burglars that there might be easier targets in the area, and tell would-be burglars that this person has enough expensive shit in their house to merit an alarm system.

The actual alarm system is as much for peace of mind as anything. If someone wants to break into your house and take your shit, an alarm system isn't going to stop them. Nor will it likely catch them, nor will it likely get your shit back. But that's OK because you pay for insurance...to get all that shit replaced anyways.

So really you just need to look at the valuable shit and to what extent it is replaceable. Great grandma's antique jewellery? That should be in a safety deposit box. A bunch of high end electronics? All that shit is easily replaced. Guns? Well, yeah you definitely don't want those getting stolen. Still, a nice safe bolted to the foundation is probably a better deterrent than a sign.

So let's look at the cost. Let's use a median of $50/mo. That's $600/year. What's your homeowner's ins. deductible? How many years would it take to equal that deductible? Do you live in a high-crime area, or an area that is prone to burglars/break-ins? Do a lot of people know about the amount of valuables in your home?

IMO home security is one of the biggest rackets in the world. I think just buying a sign for one off eBay is the most cost-effective method, since the money people tend to spend on home security could buy an awful lot of deductibles/replacements/safety deposit boxes for whatever is prone to getting stolen.

Agreed. I went the phony sign route with a Doberman and a DIY ip video setup with basic motion detection and sms alerts.