Automatic App - Thoughts?

Geeto67

https://www.automatic.com/home/

Seems like kind of a neat little "toy". It's an OBD scanner, trip computer, emergency contact, and GPS tracker for your car all in one. At the original MSRP of $99 it felt kind of a rip off but at $69 I don't know - some obd scanners run that. Also seems like an easy way to manage travel expense reimbursement for some of those that use their car for work. Again, as one singular item I don't think the price justifies it, but in aggregate might be useful.

what do others think?

Cool but seems like a solution to a bunch of things I don't have problems with. Just scanned their site briefly though.

My BAFX BT Dongle was only $22 and does everything I need it to do.

What are the things you need to do?

Most of these things are already handled by a variety of trip computers, onstar, or onboard nav but a lot of cars don't have these things.

My thoughts too.

I do have a Ultragauge which is less than $69...codes, gauges, ect.

I know when my gas tank is low... my car came with a gauge.

i Know where I parked...Im not an idiot.

I suppose the map tracking and such could be a useful item if you use the car for business.

What are the things you need to do?

Most of these things are already handled by a variety of trip computers, onstar, or onboard nav but a lot of cars don't have these things.

Read and reset codes, monitor just about anything, lots of which my car won't display, run a litany of tests, I can reprogram a ton of things on it too, and already have. VAGCOM does more but with my cell and that dongle I did a ton of changes including window controls, lighting inside and out, activated hidden menus and gauges that the S4 doesn't have stock, etc.

My phone tells me where I parked, my GPS will show my historical trips for mileage logs. My phone already controls my HVAC and lights at home too.

Read and reset codes, monitor just about anything, lots of which my car won't display, run a litany of tests, I can reprogram a ton of things on it too, and already have. VAGCOM does more but with my cell and that dongle I did a ton of changes including window controls, lighting inside and out, activated hidden menus and gauges that the S4 doesn't have stock, etc.

My phone tells me where I parked, my GPS will show my historical trips for mileage logs. My phone already controls my HVAC and lights at home too.

what 3rd party app are you using with the BAXF adaptor?

i Know where I parked...Im not an idiot.

It depends on how this works but it could be more useful. If it just puts a pin in a map when you activate and isn't relaying GPS information then yeah I agree. However, if it is emitting an actual GPS signal then it is a tracker more than just a "where did I park" pin in a map. Something tells me it is just a pin in a map but maybe I am hoping for more.

with my cell and that dongle I did a ton of changes including window controls, lighting inside and out, activated hidden menus and gauges that the S4 doesn't have stock, etc.

The $22 dongle does all that? I have the older vagcom that only works on my b5, but I want to adjust some of the hidden settings that you described on my b8.5

these ones: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/562636-VCDS-Hidden-Menu-Mods-Updated-For-Facelift-2013-B8-5-s