BMW 135i

BStowers023

Hey, all

I know there is a similar thread currently but I'm looking for some information about the 135i. I am very interested in purchasing one here within the month if everything checks out. I'm looking for some information of the following from anyone who owns one, owned one, or has any knowledge on these as I am a complete beamer newb.

What are the weak areas?

Strong areas?

Are the N54 motors forged?

How much power are they typically known to safely hold? (I've read 450whp range)

How much can the stock trans with an upgraded clutch (auto or manual) hold?

Is the maintenance on these a bitch/expensive? (sorry very general)

How long do the stock turbos typically last, and are there somewhat reasonable turbo upgrades or is it cheaper/more efficient just to rebuild the stock?

How do they handle in snow? Not like anything crazy where it has to use the front bumper as a plow, but just a few inches with snow tires (blizzaks I think?)

I'm currently looking at some 2008-2010 models.

Sorry, I know these are all fairly vague and general questions, but like I said I'm by no means a BMW expert.

Edited by BStowers023

My folks had an 08, was terrible in the winters and through every CEL it possibly could. It was primarily my moms and she didn't drive it hard by any means. Went back to the dealer about 10x. I know that made some improvements in the later years, I'd steer away from the 08's.

Why wouldn't you just get the 335 version instead? Its a better platform unless you need something small.

1 Series is IMO the true successor to the E36 in terms of the way it drives. My folks just bought a 335i xDrive but when they were looking for a "fun" car to sorta replace the E36 M3 my dad has but leaves in Ohio (when he's here for work) the E90 just wasn't the same car. They looked around at tons of cars, incl Evora, 911, Cayman, and nothing they drove made them smile. I suggested checking out the 1 series and they both ended up loving it.

Why wouldn't you just get the 335 version instead? Its a better platform unless you need something small.

I honestly think the 1 series looks better than the 3 series. May not be a popular opinion, but I love the way the 1 series looks. Very small, compact and quick.

As stated in the other thread for the 335, make sure the HPFP recall has been completed on the car. I'm sure it has, but some cars had it completed once, twice and even three times.

I was able to drive a 135i with the M Sport package at the BMW Performance center and it was a lot of fun.