3800 recall waiting list..

nurkvinny

My 04 GTP had the leaky front cover recall. It started smoking bad about 6 months ago and I've been on a parts waiting list for 5. Coughlin, Lash, and others promise to call me back.

I want to drive my damn car. Is this recall as simple as slapping a new valve cover gasket on and being on my way? Any reason a gasket and goop won't seal this bitch up?

We were really back up but we have been getting them in now. I work in parts at Lash, did they write an RO for you? If so I can check to see when the parts are going to be here.

Not sure what paper work they started, but they're supposed to call when they get the parts (no ETA given).

Thanks for the info!

This is a "4th"/ spare car for us that gets driven < 1000 miles per year. It didn't smoke until early this year. I'm more than capable of fixing it, but when someone else will do it for free, seems silly not to go that route.

Plus they're going to do the ignition recall from morons hanging 5 lbs of shit on their key chain.

Front and rear valve cover gaskets. It's very easy. Takes 2-3 hours with basic hand tools if you're taking your time. The hardest is the rear because you have to remove the alternator bracket/heater hose manifold which means a partial coolant system draining.

This is a "4th"/ spare car for us that gets driven < 1000 miles per year. It didn't smoke until early this year. I'm more than capable of fixing it, but when someone else will do it for free, seems silly not to go that route.

Plus they're going to do the ignition recall from morons hanging 5 lbs of shit on their key chain.

They just glue some inserts in your key so that the weight doesn't have a lever

They just glue some inserts in your key so that the weight doesn't have a lever

I thought they just add a second keyring to avoid the lever action? Regardless, fucking derpy anyway.

Front and rear valve cover gaskets. It's very easy. Takes 2-3 hours with basic hand tools if you're taking your time. The hardest is the rear because you have to remove the alternator bracket/heater hose manifold which means a partial coolant system draining.

I've removed the rear valve cover without losing any coolant. :fuckyeah:

generous motors pays us 0.5 hours to do the front which includes remove the upper motor mount bracket

I've removed the rear valve cover without losing any coolant. :fuckyeah:

I have too but it's almost more effort to keep it intact. ;) Also, Vinny, if you do it yourself get a set of the aluminum Dorman coolant elbows. The plastic ones suck.

Just do it yourself, its simple. Both of my cars blew out the lower intake manifold gaskets last year winter, so i just did those at the same time. Took me all of about 5 hours per car and thats with no power tools. Cant imagine just doing the valve covers would take any time to do