String trimmer - recommendations?

2 Sweet

Looking to buy an electric trimmer to get my yard under control. I impulsively bought a Ryobi the other day, and it's very poorly designed. It has an "auto line feed" feature that feeds line every time you push the trigger on or off, regardless if you need more line or not. To make matters worse, the cut off blade on the guard is weak as shit and basically just beats the hell out of the line, so it keeps getting longer to the point where it tries to wrap itself around the motor. I should have read the reviews first, lesson learned.

Here's what I want:

Electric, decent battery life

Doesn't go through spools like crazy

Under $150

Are you sure its spooled up right? If not wound right they will just release all the string.

Yep, I checked it and it looked like everything was fine. So I read the reviews and a ton of others were saying the same thing, I even went back and read the owner's manual, it releases a 1/2" of line every time the trigger is released, completely by design. I returned it to Depot so it's gone anyway. Looking for a better option for the money.

I have a cordless Toro that is like 18v IIRC and it works great. Line is manually fed but it rarely breaks. Rotates to edge along sidewalks. Can't recall the price but it's awesome and the charge lasts me two full uses which is a lot given how much I have to edge.

Why not just change the head on the ryobi. The ryobi 18v battery sets are great and so many nice tools that fit it. I switched to lines you clip in last year and will never look back to the spooling crap.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Why only electric? I have a GAS Echo pro attachment series ( comes with attachments) I have the weed wacker, the edger, and the brush cutter.

Not a single issue and i have been using it every time i mow for the last 2 seasons. Very easy to start, strong and good power, and feels very stable.

I have this set up.http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-17-in-21-2-cc-Gas-PAS-Trimmer-and-Edger-Kit-PAS-225VP/202064228

But looks to be the comparable model that doesnt have the attachments is here for 150$

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-2-Cycle-21-2-cc-Curved-Shaft-Gas-Trimmer-GT-225/100662017

The ECHO PAS 225 is close to appealing for the suburban home. I worry about the attachment option. Seems like a weak point in the near future. The other one Paul linked is curved shaft. No one makes a good curved shaft.

Chances are, the Ryobi is fine and does what you need. As someone suggested, have you looked into changing out the head?

I have this for my old trimmer and is was great. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Pivotrim-Universal-Trimmer-Head-17093/206470721

That will probably fix your frustration. Very easy to work with.

Edited by Mojoe

I have a black and decker 20v i really like for general trimming and edging. Lights, works well. Only downside is i cant find a string to rewind it with that wont continuously feed, so i buy the expensive prewound cartridges

Bought the cheapest Black & Decker cordless to do my mom's small yard 2 years ago. Like others mentioned, it has been flawless other than It's supposed to have an auto-feed but I have to manually pull the string out. No big deal, would rather it the auto-feed not work at all than work wrongly.

The ECHO PAS 225 is close to appealing for the suburban home. I worry about the attachment option. Seems like a weak point in the near future. The other one Paul linked is curved shaft. No one makes a good curved shaft.

Chances are, the Ryobi is fine and does what you need. As someone suggested, have you looked into changing out the head?

I have this for my old trimmer and is was great. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Pivotrim-Universal-Trimmer-Head-17093/206470721

That will probably fix your frustration. Very easy to work with.

I was a little weary at first too, but after using the brush cutter option which has to spool up to a good rpm, and as you slice through it really drops down in rpm, I thought for sure it was there was no way it was going to last but the thing just kept on cutting away like butter. Cut down a easy 100 foot long by 15 feet deep by 10 feet high of brush.

As far as swapping out the attachments takes 10 seconds and I change out the attachments every time I use them( wacker part, then edger part) and I have seen zero wear from swapping.

If you're really interested in electric, I just saw a worx combo at Lowes on clearance for $99. Weed trimmer/edger/blower/2 batteries. Use it for 2-3 years, throw away, money ahead.

If you're really interested in electric, I just saw a worx combo at Lowes on clearance for $99. Weed trimmer/edger/blower/2 batteries. Use it for 2-3 years, throw away, money ahead.

I bought a Worx trimmer 7 years ago and the battery just crapped out Tuesday night. I'm planning on replacing it with another, probably this combo from Lowe's. I don't need the blower, but the extra battery is well worth it.

I have a black and decker electric string trimmer that I used for awhile at my old half acre lot. It would trim grass on the whole thing on one charge as long as I was running it on medium speed. If you plan on hitting anything other than grass I would go gas over electric... a lot more power, but at the cost of having to use gas and pull start.