HVAC guys

smokin5s

HVAC guys, I'm hoping you can help out. For some reason, the master bedroom is always hotter than any other room of the house. We have a cold air return in the room. Is there anything we can do to regulate the temperature better in that room besides just turn down the A/C farther which will then make the rest of the house cold?

Seems like there is some kind of insulation problem if your getting cold air there in good amounts it's just not retaining it

and attic type ventilation. we had temp controlled attic vents added to help draw out the hot air which pools up top and eventually drops down into the rooms. once we had them added it evened things out nicely. Now there's maybe a 1-2 degree difference between upstairs and down.

the biggest culprit for us was my insulated garage that would hold in the heat from the cars and it would eventually make it's way into our master bedroom above it. the gable vent on that side of the house now is like a dryer vent as hot air is blown out of it.

Seems like there is some kind of insulation problem if your getting cold air there in good amounts it's just not retaining it

I would agree except that it's the hottest by far in the winter as well... I checked to make sure we don't have any hot electronics running and honestly, in the bedroom, the only thing that's running, is we have an LED tv (low power and heat) my MacBook Pro, and my wife's iPad... everything else isn't turned on. Oh ya, and a ceiling fan is normally always running as well.

and attic type ventilation. we had temp controlled attic vents added to help draw out the hot air which pools up top and eventually drops down into the rooms. once we had them added it evened things out nicely. Now there's maybe a 1-2 degree difference between upstairs and down.

the biggest culprit for us was my insulated garage that would hold in the heat from the cars and it would eventually make it's way into our master bedroom above it. the gable vent on that side of the house now is like a dryer vent as hot air is blown out of it.

our dryer vent runs under our bedroom as well... not sure if that really has much merit.

We do have insulation on 4 sides of the room... (2 sides are outside, we insulated the wall between our bedroom in the kitchen for sound deadening, and the other side is the on-suite and walkin closet which are both insulated as well)

Toss a mini-split system in there and you'll have zero issues cooling it

^^ for sure. Our neighbors put a recessed one in the ceiling of their sunroof and it's comfy year round. Quiet too.

no idea what a mini-split is.... And the master is on the ground floor... we have a finished basement below it, so there is insultation, carpet padding, carpet, and drywall between us and the room below us

Close off the walk-in, and dial back the flow (assumed adjustable registers/diffusers) on any rooms that are colder. Prioritize reducing flow on basement diffusers, as they are below the master and nearer to the furnace. Static pressure may be an issue. There is only x amount of static pressure by your blower fan, and the master may be ducted strangely and causing a deficiency.

Also look up "short cycling" with respect to diffusers and return intakes. You mention three supply diffusers and only one return intake associated with the Masters Suite. Ideally the return should be located opposite from supplies, to promote circulation and true conditioning of the airspace. If the return is too near a supply, all that air blowing is potentially going directly back to the furnace and likely doing little good for actually cooling the room...

Just a few other things to consider.