Non Subscription Alarm Options

Zx2guy19

Looking to cut monthly bills....I've been with AlarmForce (fucking LOL) for nearly 3 years and my contract is coming to an end. Probably one of the most worthless $1,000 I've ever spent (life of the contract cost).

That said, I'd like to avoid a monthly fee, even if it means a $300-500 upfront cost. We live in a very nice neighborhood in Hilliard and have never had an issue, so this is for my wife's peace of mind. I own enough guns to protect ourselves if they break in while we're home, so this if more for when we're gone.

Any one have experience with a non subscription based system that you'd recommend?

So far, Canary seems to be the best option.

are you looking for just an alarm to go off or service that will call you/cops when your alarm is going off?

I use a wireless ip cam(multiple) / dvr setup with text message alerts w/ pics and video link. On a synology media system which is similar to Canary but has media capabilities and other business/personal uses.

I put in a SimpliSafe system a couple of months ago when it became obvious that I'd be doing more CLE/CMH commuting. While the expectation is that you'll buy a monthly monitoring subscription, it isn't a requirement, and since the system is 100% wireless, there's no pain/misery getting the thing installed entirely on your own.

are you looking for just an alarm to go off or service that will call you/cops when your alarm is going off?

I use a wireless ip cam(multiple) / dvr setup with text message alerts w/ pics and video link. On a synology media system which is similar to Canary but has media capabilities and other business/personal uses.

Kind of...I'd like something that makes a noise and notifies me/wakes me up in the event of a break in, but don't necessarily need it to monitor for me (call the police).

I put in a SimpliSafe system a couple of months ago when it became obvious that I'd be doing more CLE/CMH commuting. While the expectation is that you'll buy a monthly monitoring subscription, it isn't a requirement, and since the system is 100% wireless, there's no pain/misery getting the thing installed entirely on your own.

So you don't have to do the $15 a month? Even so, that's not a bad price. Looks pretty straight forward too. What kit did you go with?

So you don't have to do the $15 a month? Even so, that's not a bad price. Looks pretty straight forward too. What kit did you go with?

No, you don't have to do the $15/mo. I picked up the starter package, and added an extra entry and a motion sensor since I was buying a refurb kit (~25% off) as a first-time setup (another 10% off). Depending on how long it takes my place to sell, and what my work schedule is like, I may end up disabling all the motion and entry sensors, and adding a pair of glass-break sensors instead, leaving the alarm active 24/7 without having to worry about people coming in for showings during the day setting it off, but still sensitive to break-ins at night. Also thinking I should add some smoke detectors. The best part is that once the house sells, I can take it all north and reinstall at the new house.

I have a Simplisafe system in my pole barn and absolutely love it, just make sure you specify when you order if you want the base station to be Verizon or T-Mobile. I bought mine as a refurb from their website (same warranty) and 20% off for Black Friday:

Order Subtotal: $207.94

Black Friday Sale: -$20.79

------

Total for this Order: $187.15

Order details:

1 x Refurbished Security System: 6 Components - $188.96

Model: SSCS1-R

Base Station: 1

Wireless Keypad: 1

Keychain Remotes: 1

Motion Sensors: 1

Entry Sensors: 2

Window Decals: 2

LOW STOCK: Order now for an expected November 30 ship date.

1 x Home Security Yard Sign - $3.99

Model: SSYS1

In stock: ships within 24 hours, Mon - Fri

1 x 24/7 Professional Alarm Monitoring (SimpliSafe2) - $14.99

Model: SSEDSM2

Service Plan: 24/7 Standard Alarm Monitoring

I don't have any real complaints and it's worth the $15/mo!

Edited by MrMeanGreen

Sweet, thanks guys. That sounds like an awesome option. I'd probably still do the $15 a month monitoring, but like that there's no contract so I don't have to. At the end of the day, it's $15, but looking to reduce these BS monthly expenses. This helps.

A few ideas of how to protect your house.

http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/c/0/d/5/0/f/c0d50f8b0389a5ba784282769a5992f14268b0d53db9e7dd9202839cfe2d5204.jpg

http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/c/2/9/c/1/b/c29c1b1c419d5ae0e6f457cf15d68901f85aa5a16ad85ada2b6fad930502a9d5.jpg

http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/2/d/e/f/0/9/2def09e1cdd33ef2b2f0389cd552b5617693f927cbb304f398ad0b66bd28b289.jpg

http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/f/6/3/d/1/4/f63d1472bb23bacf3d648ce495d341718f3fad4f787f9dd1292823d654925fa0.jpg

http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/4/1/e/d/5/8/41ed58c61b6d79c615b2aef93bf182e73c71d9f4972a5d2733d98c550f6a4912.jpg

You're welcome.

Pay the $15 also call your insurance company tell them you're installing an alarm and they will knock money off your bill that could offset the $15

I am already taking advantage of that discount :)

A few ideas of how to protect your house.

You're welcome.

Love it! My wife would have a blast with this.

Tattletale seems to offer some pretty unique options. They are Columbus based as well. We just started offering them at work due to mobility. Perfect for car trailer, work shops and obviously homes.

http://www.jegs.com/v/Tattletale/763

Definitely one I noticed but wasn't sure if it was thorough enough. I'll look into it a bit more.

Keep in mind that if you do go with the monitoring service, there may be a permit/license involved. Columbus has a $35 license fee that's good for two years.

Yep, my current alarm is licensed for 2 years.

I have simplisafe as well, and like it pretty well. A bullet points for noteworthy stuff.

- The $15 a month monitoring option DOES NOT allow you to get messages on your phone and what not. Its just, hey it triggered, we're calling the police. I have the $25 a month and like it well. You get a phone app which you can arm/disarm with (nice to not have to deal with a stupid added fob). Also I get notifications when the power goes out. So if you have a generator you need to run or sump pump alternative, etc. very helpful (for me).

- Their smoke detectors are a bit sketchy. other ppl have issues, I went through 2 of them.

- I ended up getting more door sensors rather than the motion sensors. You have 2 settings, home mode and away mode. If you have motion sensors the away mode works just fine. But if you want to be 'safe' while home. I turn the motion sensors off and just leave the entry points on. So i can be in my house and not worry about triggering the motion sensors.

- It takes some time to set up. I went through and named each sensor online and what not. But its worth it. I know exactly which entry point is giving me issues when I get the text on my phone.

- My keypad is eating batteries like crazy (every 3 months?) and we don't use it. They think it was because i had set it above a light switch. the interference from the wiring in the wall may have caused higher power consumption. I've moved it and am seeing if that fixes it.

- Their customer service has been awesome.

- I second Anthony on the making sure you get the Verizon card if you are out in BFE. IF you don't they will send you another one, no problem

- If you do get simplisafe shoot me a PM I can have them email you a referral code. I think you get 5 or 10% off and I get a free month monitoring. :D