V8 Beast Jr

Ive been interested in cars and racing since i was 13, im now 17 pursing the automotive industry as a mechanic and painter. Once i graduate highschool i plan on going to itt tech and going even further into the automotive industry

Welcome to CR. There's lots of racing and meets still going on around here. I hope to see you out at some of the events.

Seems that there is another V8 Beast on here named Brian ....... I'm sure you don't want to be associated with that character. :)

Edited by Doc

Ive been interested in cars and racing since i was 13, im now 17 pursing the automotive industry as a mechanic and painter. Once i graduate highschool i plan on going to itt tech and going even further into the automotive industry

If you're going to tech school, examine UNOH versus ITT. You don't have to pay out of state tuition, the faculty/programs offered there are very good, and they offer job placement opportunities and a number of career fairs throughout your tenure as a student there. You'll find a staggering amount of UNOH graduates in professional positions in the automotive industry, ranging from advanced mechanics to upper echelon motorsports and anywhere between.

I graduated from there last November, and I'd go back and do it over again in a heartbeat. Go visit the campus during one of their open houses, I think you'll like what you see. Oh, and welcome to the board. Tell your old man Ginger Alex says hi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome.

Didn't ITT tech just close down? Good luck finding a real vocational or technical school. A lot of these vocational schools are closing down because the federal government is looking at them as scams and not allowing federal aid to pay for these schools. If I were you I would look at a college with a real vocational training program instead of one of these operations that may not be here next year.

Welcome.

Didn't ITT tech just close down? Good luck finding a real vocational or technical school. A lot of these vocational schools are closing down because the federal government is looking at them as scams and not allowing federal aid to pay for these schools. If I were you I would look at a college with a real vocational training program instead of one of these operations that may not be here next year.

CSCC has an automotive program, Sinclair in Dayton has a very good GM program.

Welcome.

Saw this as well. As if it's not already hard ENOUGH to find good trademen out there, the skilled blue collar worker is slowly becoming extinct.

Saw this as well. As if it's not already hard ENOUGH to find good trademen out there, the skilled blue collar worker is slowly becoming extinct.

Let's be fair here...the reason the government is pulling funding from a lot of these places is that they operate in a fairly unregulated environment and a lot of them were not preparing their students for the technical jobs they were seeking. They were also incurring a very onerous amount of debt on their students, and in some cases the tax payers were footing the bill. I'm not saying ITT is a scam per se, but I'm also not saying all their practices were in their students best interests and ethical.

If the blue collar worker is becoming extinct, it isn't because of lack of interest. Sometimes it is because the way to get training is a minefield of traps seeking to take advantage of the poor and undereducated.

Geeesammy mentioned two other places that were probably more forthright and worth investigating. Look into those.

CSCC's Automotive program is rather rudimentary; you'll learn the principles and technology of the late 80's / 90's / Early 2000's. And that's it.

Don't get me wrong, I learned alot, from some downright awesome Professors. That said none of it really applied to Vehicles made after 2005ish.(Shout out to Steve Levin, who, while a tough-cookie, would learn you some Automotive Technology - one of my all-time Favorite Professors)

In a nutshell Columbus State isn't bad per-se, just be prepared to work on Crap from the 80's/90's for a while right out of College. Working on rusty crap from the 80's/90's/early 2000's is fucking hell.

Also be prepared to be treated as a "Mechanic". In general, Mechanics aren't treated well (Check the never-ending Job openings on Craigslist...Yea, there's a reason for that)

If your serious about wrenching, and wrenching happily. Go to UNOH. Hands down. No questions asked.

Don't just go there once, go there twice. They offer numerous degrees. First and foremost complete your Bachelors.

Let me say it again, First and foremost complete your Bachelors.

Obtain a few degrees, then if you're still committed to wrenching, get a job at Either BMW our Mercedes. Maybe a Porche dealer, if you can find one.

Fuck the conglomerates, fuck The Toy Barn, Fuck MAG, fuck anybody but a BMW or Mercedes Dealership. You get in with either of those you will make downright Bank, within 5 years close to 6-figures. Furthermore you will be treated with respect, treated as an asset, as a professional. As someone who is worth a fuck. And last but not least, you will be happy.

Be prepared to hate your life, or at the very least have some serious regrets, if you choose a different route in the path to becoming a Mechanic.

Edited by acklac7

Go to College to become a Mechanic or don't become one at all

FTFY

UNOH is a University, a True College. Not a Tech School. Not a Community College. It's the real deal.

UNOH offers you a Bachelors. Dat 4 Year "Im worth a shit" piece of paper. The Degree that gives you the potential to do anything. A Bachelors opens up a lot of doors. A lot. No matter the field nor your original focus of Study. You get that piece of paper and doors open eerrrywhere.

Not so much with an Associates.

http://www.unoh.edu/files/college-of-applied-technologies/Baccalaureate%20-%20Automotive%20Technology%20Supervision.pdf

Edited by acklac7

If the blue collar worker is becoming extinct, it isn't because of lack of interest. Sometimes it is because the way to get training is a minefield of traps seeking to take advantage of the poor and undereducated.

Tech-School is a Cluster Fuck. Period. Intentional? Unintentional? No clue. But it's pretty messy.

Im sure there are exceptions (Hobart/Devry). But from what I've gathered it's more often then not a nightmare.

LOL. College was the worst mistake I've ever made.

Brian- do what your passion is brother. Don't listen to some miserable oaf who only became miserable once he started Wrenching full time, and has now decided to go back to college

Yes, the title is supposed to be funny because I'm asking a group of people I barely know to provide life guidance. But hey, what can I say...I like some of you.

Looking for advice on the biggest decision I'll make to this point in my life. Quick info:

• 26 years old, married with no kids (2 years out)
  • 6 years of HR experience with a BA in HR
  • HR manager at a Fortune 500 here in Columbus
  • Own and operate 7 'rentals on the side'

For the past 3-4 years, I've been unhappy with the corporate world. I know a lot of people are, but something just doesn't work in my mind with it. For the longest time, I thought rentals were my "out", and that I'd eventually invest big into that (I don't even do 401k because I invest in them so much) and it would be my early retirement plan.

The last year has been bad...I've been unhappy at my previous job and switched jobs in Feb. and I'm not exactly shit giddy here either. I'm good at what I do and have a very fast career path (probably one of the youngest HR manager's at a company this size in Ohio), but none of that matters if I'm unhappy.

Over the last few weeks, I've been REALLY focusing on 2 things:

• Buying an apartment complex...focusing on the $1-2M/30-50 unit range
    OR
  • Buying a franchised daycare...$3M investment

The numbers on both investments work...with the apartment, I could probably keep a rental or two.If I sold all my rentals, I could walk with around 250k+ profit as I've invested well in Columbus at the lowest points of the economy and my equity has grown tremendously with the bounce back of the real estate here.

I suppose you climbed the corporate ladder first, bought a bunch of properties second, then afterwards went to College for shits and Giggles?

Not to poo poo on BMW/Mercedes but there are other routes out there to happiness with a wrench in hand aside from working on "Rich people" haulers. Can you make good money doing warranty repairs and brake jobs on the same cars over and over again? Sure. Would it bore me out of my damn mind? Absolutely!

"Variety is the spice of life." is not just a catchy quote, when you are confronted with new and different challenges on a daily basis you are less likely to just start going through the motions.

Is working at a chain shop doing 14.99 oil changes and hanging tires a good path? No. That's miserable, shitty, degrading, terrible work so do yourself a favor get your learn on and get yourself into a quality shop that will value your talents. Make enough to happy, live a good life, and have some toys... but do it working on something that keeps you interested and engaged or the numbness will eventually set in.

• Casper unlocked this topic