Dog E-Collars

Radio Flyer1647545514

Does anyone use the Garmin series E-Collar for training your dogs at a distance? I'm looking at getting the Garmin Pro 70 for my hound. It has 6 stimulus levels and tone for training. I'm only going to be using it on one dog at a time and the distance won't exceed a mile.

Looking for opinions of it vs the Pro 550 or the Delta models. The Pro 70 seems to fall in the middle but don't want to miss out on a feature or over buy.

I have used the sport dog units, my cousin got me onto them as he trains his German short haired pointer on it, for hunting. They are some of the best units out.

We use Sport Dog 425s, with 500 meter range. It's what our trainer used to work with our dog. I would get a separate unit for GPS. We have not had a use for GPS, because the training covered boundary training.

https://www.amazon.com/SportDOG-Brand-FieldTrainer-SD-425S-Stubborn/dp/B00A6T2J8Q/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1470138829&sr=8-10&keywords=sport+dog

Not sure what brand we have, but I started using one on our 1yr old Boxer/Lab and she responds extremely well to it. Ours has upwards of 8 levels with an additional 2x kicker for when they react badly to say another dog. It also has a tone button but I'm not using it at distance so I make my own verbal correction tone when walking and she knows to either comply or she will get a buzz.

It doesn't hurt them but it is funny how even a buzz from one of these is so disliked that they will learn inside 1-2 days what's going on. Ours is not likely as nice as the ones mentioned in this thread as it was like $150 but it works for us.

I like sport dog. Those things take a BEATING.

Friend of mine that was a trainer at NK9 also likes Dogtra, though they aren't necessarily as tough as the sport dog. If the dog is going to be a field dog and see lots of water, etc, I would personally go with sport dog. But that's just me.

I didn't check Field and Stream since they're normally 50 dollars more than any other store for the same item. Petco said they didn't carry them at 2 different locations, Jacks Aquarium had no idea about them and told me they didn't carry them either. Tractor Supply had one model in stock and one unit of that model. I didn't call the other two places.

Do you know anyone with Amazon Prime? The SD-425 is in stock for Prime Now delivery. My neighbors (Snouffer/Linworth area) tried out out the 2-hour delivery and it took 37 minutes.

Edit: Didn't see that you got one

I got a sport dog 425 today. I'm working more leash training again before I put it to use. I should be able to get to the collar in about a week and I'll update here how it's working for anyone interested.

Piece of advice, have the e-collar on the dog for at least a week without actually using it. Just have it on the dog while still doing leash work before actually utilizing the collar. If not, the dog can become collar smart, i.e. dog is on point when the collar is on, and doesn't listen worth ish when the collar isn't.