Casting Boolits

Dharris89

So I have been reloading for a couple years and decided to try casting. I've been accumulating a stash of wheel weights which are a good starting point. A big thanks to North End and Lucore to helping with the cause. Below is one trip.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo225/ceharrisnanny/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsadtdxfox.jpeg

After sorting out just the lead, I melted them down into ingots.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo225/ceharrisnanny/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsquleitrf.jpeg

Then onto a 10 pound Lee pot. So far I have cast 45acp, 357 Mag and 9mm.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo225/ceharrisnanny/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse2jznunr.jpeg

That turned into this. I went a little overboard on the bullet lube on the 357.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo225/ceharrisnanny/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsimcnfhaq.jpeg

And finally, here are a couple 357 and 45 loaded up ready for the range.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo225/ceharrisnanny/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfk8agwee.jpeg

Thanks for reading. If anyone else is casting, feel free to critique.

That is cool. Just curious, lead is pretty cheap no? How much are you actually saving by melting it down if you factor in time spent?

I have been able to get a lot of lead mostly old wheel weights for a minimal cost. I don't factor my time. There is no point. Once the kids go to bed, I fool around in my free time. Plus it's cool to take something that's going to be thrown away and turn it into something cool.

Also for some I know it doesn't matter but stinks you can't shoot lead inside

LEPD is where I go the most and they are fine as long as I used brass cased ammo.

David, I love this. Modern day primitive, at home ammo making. The fact that you took the time to do this, is awesome. I almost wanted to call is"smelting", but that is the process of extracting the metal from the ore. Would like to see the set up you used, also. I can't imagine the heat needed. This isn't an indoor process, is it? Edited by Mojoe
fat fingered David's name

Thanks Joe and Chris my set up is pretty basic. I have a Coleman propane camping stove to melt the wheel weights in a cast iron skillet. Once everything is liquid, I skim off the clips and start fluxing the lead to clean it. After a few times, I pour the liquid into cheap muffin trays from the thrift store.

When I go to cast, I have the Lee 10 pound pot to remelt the lead. Then I flux it again and skim off anymore drouse. I heat the molds over the pot for a few minutes and start casting. The first few bullets get thrown back in as they won't cast right until the mold is hot enough. Once they look good, they get dumped into a bucket of water to quench and harden them. In total I probably have about $250 in the set up. But from here on all I would need are molds for other calibers which are about $20.

I know I'm showing my age here, and damn have times changed. When I was in high school I remember my shop teacher casting bullets while we worked on our shop projects. I was fascinated by how simple the process was. I'm trying to get set up to cast aluminum right now. Don't know what I'll cast, but the process still fascinates me.

How do you manage the fumes? Just tons of exhaust fans going or what? I always understood that to be a significant risk.

I did a lot of research and everyone says lead is bad but there are a lot of conflicting opinions on the fumes and exposure. I am erring on the side of caution. I have a respirator ($20 from HF) and a set of welding gloves. Plus I always wear safety glasses. I am doing it in my garage with the door open. Melting down the wheel weights is nasty as all the paint, road grime, oil etc is cooking off and smells horrible. I have a fan going but far enough away so it doesn't cool the lead. So far none of my neighbors think I'm cooking meth.

I know I'm showing my age here, and damn have times changed. When I was in high school I remember my shop teacher casting bullets while we worked on our shop projects.

Now you can't even have a cheese slice in the shape of a gun in school.

You going to start coating them too?

I don't know yet. I have seen where you can spray paint and bake them or roll them in powder coating from HF and bake them. Either way I would need another toaster oven so I don't piss off my wife. I'm just going to keep the velocity low for now while I'm learning. Thanks

Edited by Dharris89
Forgot something