Driveway Chip Seal Scam

Wease

Anyone had this happen to them? Some guy in a truck drops by my house while the wife is home with the kids and I'm at work. Says he's got some leftover material from a job he's doing down the street and he can chip seal our driveway really cheap. He leaves a quote for like $3100. Anyone who's seen my driveway knows it's really long and all gravel. The quote itself was on a standard form for quotes such as these, but he hand wrote his company name on it, wasn't even anything official. I've heard of this scam before, just wanted to know if anyone else had it happen to them, etc. :confused:

Casing the area for other things? My spider senses always go up when completely random and very odd people and scams come around. If I'm home I usually confront them up-front and very bluntly.

I've seen the above scam or whatever you call it with carpenter bee and pest control this spring. Guy kinda got squirlly when I took a cell photo of him and then his vehicle. No biz info, no biz cards, unwillingness to produce identification, etc. hmmmm. Let me introduce you to my two dogs...

Post it up on Nextdoor.com or even though you don't live in Dublin, have wifey put it up on dublinparents facebook page. Shit spreads like wildfire and word will get out quickly.

Doesn't Ohio have a large Irish Traveler's population?

yeah, they run exactly this scam

"Blair said, as was the case with the Randolph incident involving paving a driveway, "They tell their victims a story about having too much material left over from their last paving job, and how their bosses will fire them if they come back with it because it can’t be returned to the asphalt plant. After convincing the homeowner that their driveway is in desperate need of repaving, they will then offer the victim a ‘deal of a lifetime,’ just so they can keep their job."

The victim gets a thin coat of a driveway sealer or, at best, a very thin coat of asphalt which soon begins to deteriorate and crumble apart.

"Any work performed by the Travelers is suspect and shoddy. They use inadequate and inferior materials, and often leave the residence before their ‘work’ is completed, leaving the homeowner to have to hire someone else to correct and clean up the mess," he noted.

source http://www.courier-tribune.com/news/local/beware-irish-travelers-scam

Yeah, I Googled the scam and saw it posted a bunch of places, was just wondering if anyone else had it happen to them. I'm of course worried about someone casing my fucking house now. :(

I also Googled the name of this company and the guy's number and it came back with a big fat ZERO. So yeah, I'm 100% sure it was a scam. But to what end, I don't know.

Yeah, I Googled the scam and saw it posted a bunch of places, was just wondering if anyone else had it happen to them. I'm of course worried about someone casing my fucking house now. :(

I also Googled the name of this company and the guy's number and it came back with a big fat ZERO. So yeah, I'm 100% sure it was a scam. But to what end, I don't know.

Invite him back to your drive way, asking him to go over what his process is. All the while gun in your waist band in sight and then go off and how you freaking hate scammers and that you hope hes not one. Tell him you will think about it. Would scare him off for sure. :lol:

Invite him back to your drive way, asking him to go over what his process is. All the while gun in your waist band in sight and then go off and how you freaking hate scammers and that you hope hes not one. Tell him you will think about it. Would scare him off for sure. :lol:

I actually thought about calling his number from one of our work phones and telling the guy I'm with such and such police department and they are on to his scams and he'd better stay out of Delaware / Powell. See what he says... :D

I actually thought about calling his number from one of our work phones and telling the guy I'm with such and such police department and they are on to his scams and he'd better stay out of Delaware / Powell. See what he says... :D

Oooooo i like it!

Do you really want to make enemies with this scammer by screwing with him?

He knows where you live.

First off, I doubt I'm the only one he's tried to pull this on. He couldn't know it was me. And secondly, I'm not calling from a traceable phone. But I do get what you're saying.

^^ Get what you're saying, but impersonating a police officer?

I'd just let it go and insure you have your spider senses up. I put motion sensors around the property that cause the dogs to go nuts and alert people they've been seen. Cameras work too.

Save

Doesn't Ohio have a large Irish Traveler's population?

That movie (Traveller) was from 1997 ..... did you really expect anyone to get the reference? :p

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/trentrbrts/maxresdefault_zpsuxlzylgx.jpg

Edited by Doc

While I agree that this is what one would feel like doing........ In reality, it will score you a menacing charge if not a aggravated menacing charge.

I would invite him back, and waste a lot of his time, I would recommend concealed carry while having interaction with said individual. People are nuts these days, and I wouldn't dismiss someone using this guise as a ruse to case your home.