WWCRD: Chevy Big Block edition

BigOxley

So, I have this C10 project i've been working on. My Dad and I assumed it was the original engine because its labeled as a 396 optioned truck. Started disassembling the engine yesterday and comparing the numbers.

Turns out it's not the original engine :( Looks like it came out of an early 70s car. Bored out to 4.150 (so it looks like a rebuild)

Should I:

1. Get this engine rebuilt ($2500-3000)

2. Buy a reman'd longblock ($2900)

3. Buy a drop in engine... there is a built 454 for $4000 nearby

4. Do an LS swap. I have a 5.3/4l60e/wiring harness that needs gone over

Keep in mind re-sale is a consideration, but not the only thing i'm concerned about. Truck use, weekend cruiser and trips to Lowes.

All the 1970 model year and later 396 badged vehicles were actually 402ci engines. They were basically 396 blocks bored .030 over to a stock bore of 4.125. Chances are your block is a 402 with a .030 on top indicating at least a piston and ring job (common on big blocks that were used everyday once they got to 70k miles). Your engine should have a number that matches the vin stamped on it and that's how you know it's original, not by whether it's a 396 or not.

Currently you have .060 worth of material left before that block is junk. If the rotating assembly is good, get a set of 396 .090 over Pistons (.060 over 402 Pistons) and stab them in. I really wouldn't worry about the bottom end too much unless you saw actual damage or rust from sitting because BBCs from that era are pretty under stressed. Get a 350hp ss396 chevelle cam, a Holley 4bbl on a dual plane manifold, and call it a day. That's the budget way.

I had a 1972 402 truck engine in my old 1967 chevelle. The cam was rated for 290hp because truck (lots of torque). Wasn't any fun until I put in an SS396/350hp factory cam. Car woke right up.

Rebuild it with slightly better fun parts and toss it back in. In our experience a lot of the time "Drop in" or "Ran when pulled" engines we still end up taking apart checking everything and reassembling. Unless it's a crate motor in which case go for it.

The LS route, I promise there will be more than a few hidden costs and headaches getting that done. Though it is by far the most common swap, there's ALWAYS something that gets you hung up.

Well, my dad has a buddy that has a rebuilt late 70s 454 for sale for $2000. Pops said all it needs is a starter and the seller is not one to buy cheap parts. I'm going to check this one out when the guy gets back from vaca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my dad has a buddy that has a rebuilt late 70s 454 for sale for $2000. Pops said all it needs is a starter and the seller is not one to buy cheap parts. I'm going to check this one out when the guy gets back from vaca

Do this

Unless you care about fuel mileage, why go through the extra work for an LS swap? You can easily do a BBC swap in a weekend. I sincerely doubt an LS swap will be anywhere near as fast/easy. Keep it simple

Built carb to pan? That's not a bad price at all if it's ready to go with just a $100 starter.

Do this.

Despite the power an LS makes for its size an original big block truck should have a big block still in it.

Also, i say rebuild because you don't run into the headaches of something that "only needs a starter." Rebuild will take care of most of your problems and you'll have something you know the history of.

Will the BBC bolt up to the exhaust manifolds?

I always get leery that motor swaps from cheap mills seem like a good idea, until you're parts bill starts adding up by $50 and $250 increments....

Yes, 396 is a big block cheby.

Also, i say rebuild because you don't run into the headaches of something that "only needs a starter." Rebuild will take care of most of your problems and you'll have something you know the history of.

I hear you guys. But that 454 seems like a good damn deal. I won't be able to get the rebuild for less than $4k (I still need a carb too). I'm hoping the seller has some receipts.

found this 454 bored 30 over for $2000. has 7 quart oil pan, msd ignition, looks like an upgraded fuel pump, holley(?) 650cfm carb. comes with everything here, including the stand and long tubes (probably wont fit on the truck). picking it up this weekend.

jWRFuxXZMXeOEDDImgFYYyzAZS4siiNAbdhwBxaWES-AmBMyU2tTe4HEWmH7Kugv7EmVKZuP7dxUcP_geXTObhj5DCF19fx4ALZQZ9ZQ8lgfMhNaqSAdigBS_WEVXwoDJfBDhZFa6Gk2F7P3Zk_vCeInSKyR0ppTEw5pcslBc0zwg8l8hfXcpRQGzFAGT37yzlFKxqGOdLIIv2vF0fyH6TWrDmT6kMxGfviVjo5N7aA7nBJj5METdxvO_-hMbQ0lUZdrdBUdXanERqTC7rv-MPkvBZFC9DnqQL0POXDNWXf6XOkJYcX5pSuywMXqY-EAOZaMQI7o417zIfnJ2BvNErxfHcplR2ACE851ItadksK4B_-4iq17MlyX4venGIKnA_xM1p0TVU-0XWzGB6YCztfLANZdgQ2U28GNYxCgyJoeXZzp2ISOwa4p5Dztq6YHvqS8Db8sICFBCXGFmt2j5zyzM8pTe9_dMbC1qnbxx309Li3wogHcPmSptVEiT-5h769UqkAH7bnFgE8aXYx7QyDeOdDktaGHbGs-TMdMCTJ7sAMJ-ozAcBEBGjQhKVAeREo8ad-ULiMO7IgLiF6YzDVZMGNSiT5IBSP1EM3rIw=w980-h634-no