I wonder who in the VW world this appeals to?

Geeto67

00W0W_jmdkauJPpso_1200x900.jpg

70 Karmann Ghia body on 86 VW cabriolet chassis. '58 bug headlights, '65 KG tail lights.New exhaust. New tires. Louvred hood.It Needs finishing or drive it as is. Bare metal. 1.8 gas motor.cabby interior and gauges. It's basically a cabby in disguise.Plated , runs and drives . Slammed so it's bouncy. Titled as an 86 cabby.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5741018062.html

It's odd for sure. I always looked at the Ghia as a poor man's 356 Porsche since they are mechanically similar cars and both have one piece body so I am not sure what advantage comes from making a great looking air-cooled vw FWD and Front engined.

what in the fuck are they doing. There is no need for the cabriolet chassis given the after market support for older vws and the potential.

I couldn't figure it out either.

Either the had a ghia body with a pan so rusty and an engine so junk it didn't make sense to try and fix it, or they had a bitch basket with a perfect drivetrain and pan and a shit body and just wanted to rebody it into something cooler.

I can't imagine the motivation. It's a ton of fab work and it looks to be done reasonably well...so....

56169381.jpg

Local guy has a Ghia with a Subaru engine/trans in it. Now THAT's a swap.

That is a very tempting option for simplicity sake and valve train stability which one does not have to pull the heads every 10k miles for high lift cams. On the flip side, not many have ventured into the world of wasserboxer cases with 4 inch bores. A turbo sitting on an engine with a 84 stroke and a 4 inch bore would be titties.

The big problem at the end of the day is if one still sticks with a vw transmission even its a bus 091, better have 5 as backup if running 400+ hp.

Getto.... even if the floor pans were shit, the owner can literally go to a swap meet or open up vw trends to order any sheet metal part for any air cooled vw year ever made.

Edited by 10phone2