Garage Coatings

coltboostin

We used most of our stuff from Shermin Williams, and honestly, the only thing I remember is:

1) We ground down the floor with a diamond bit sander (never etched)

2) We mixed whatever we were using with Xylene (only remember that because the name was cool)

3) We then threw paint chips on

4) Came back the next day and put a glaze of some sort on

Their price is around $4/sq ft.

Thank you. And there is NO way Im paying 4k for something I will surly fuck up in the future :)

I just did mine before moving into the house and I power washed, acid treated and etched it before applying the paint. My dad also did it in his garage and it has held up well. He has had to touch it up a bit over 6 years. I would say it has held up pretty good.

The side his vette parks on stays in great shape, the side my moms jeep goes on is the side that has needed touch up.

What product did you use?

From the research I did 6-years+ ago, don't use anything that's water based. I'm sure there is something new and better out but when I did the research this was the better stuff.

http://www.epoxy-coat.com/basecoat-colors

Cost was a little over $400 for 3-car garage.

If you want it gray or just a base color it'll be no problem. My only recommendation is if you want color flakes, order a LOT more than you think you need. I wish I would have added more color flakes to mine but it still looks great and the same as when I did it 6-years ago.

If you have any cracks in the floor make sure you fill them before applying the coating. If it's brand new concrete just make sure it doesn't have any sealer on it because that prevents a lot of the coatings from sticking.

New build, so no cracks. I will ask concrete contractor if they sealed it. I know they did the basement, not sure of garage. Was not there for that pour.

If its sealed, can I just "diamond grit" sand it as mentioned previously?

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to seeing the results.

I"m going to epoxy the permititer where my work bench and cabinets are and then go with the Race Deck 18" free flow tiles in the majority of the remaining area. I'm going to do the install in the spring and hope that between now and then I can find a good deal on the tiles either direct with them or a reseller.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/everythingautomotive/free-flow-pad.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the results.

I"m going to epoxy the permititer where my work bench and cabinets are and then go with the Race Deck 18" free flow tiles in the majority of the remaining area. I'm going to do the install in the spring and hope that between now and then I can find a good deal on the tiles either direct with them or a reseller.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/everythingautomotive/free-flow-pad.jpg

You will have to priovide updates then LOL. On my end, I have been focused on finishing the basement, and adding a side/back pad for toy storage. Now that all of my spare junk is on one place, I can see that I really need a shed! I cant get all the stuff up and off the floor to coat the garge, and did not have the time to do it before the move unfortunatly.

It has not been officially palced on the back burner. :mad:

You will have to priovide updates then LOL. On my end, I have been focused on finishing the basement, and adding a side/back pad for toy storage.

for sure will. just completed my ceiling and garage lighting but the floor is going to wait until spring as our remodel of the first floor will underway and the garge is the staging area for table saw work and more.

Save

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my very detailed thread on doing my garage floor. One year later and it is still holding up wonderfully. No complaints at all, and no 'hot-tire pick up' at all.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123090

Not on here as much, but hit me up if you have any questions.