Morning vs. Night Workouts

BStowers023

Who has done both?

I have always been a night time lifter but here recently due to my schedule I've had to start lifting at about 5am. I have actually noticed that my workouts are better in the morning and I think it could be due to a few factors...

-Less people in the gym

-Pre-workout seems to have more effect on an empty/near empty stomach

-Testosterone is highest in the AM

-Well rested and not tired from the work day

I seem to be more productive at work throughout the day as well. What are your guys' views on this and have you had similar experiences or other experiences?

Who has done both?

I have always been a night time lifter but here recently due to my schedule I've had to start lifting at about 5am. I have actually noticed that my workouts are better in the morning and I think it could be due to a few factors...

-Less people in the gym

-Pre-workout seems to have more effect on an empty/near empty stomach

-Testosterone is highest in the AM

-Well rested and not tired from the work day

I seem to be more productive at work throughout the day as well. What are your guys' views on this and have you had similar experiences or other experiences?

those last two items

I work out at PF in the evenings around 11pm. There are people there, but it's a focused and respectful group (giving up equipment and not getting in peoples' space).

Pre-kids, I did work out in the morning. It was a good time. Just ZERO CHANCE of that happening now.

You hit the most of what you are noticing. Recovery from evening workouts is reduced from basically going straight to rest from workout. AM workouts give the day for the body to continue to use the muscles, and not tighten up. Although rest is great and what you need to recover, the actual build and recovery is more challenging. AM workouts also allow you to feed the rest of the day, to aid in recovery. If you work nights, all this is simply flipped for you sleeping during the day. How much rest, recovery and progress needed is simply a direct reflection of how demanding your workout is on your body. Am workouts on an empty or light stomach, also will help your body burn the right energy. It is easier for our body's enzymes to break down protein for energy, than it is to convert fat to energy. And that is all fat really is, stored energy reserves. You have to feed the body often and on time, so it knows food is there when it needs it. That way it will burn fat and not convert elements to energy with the intent to store it.

AM workouts are good.

You hit the most of what you are noticing. Recovery from evening workouts is reduced from basically going straight to rest from workout. AM workouts give the day for the body to continue to use the muscles, and not tighten up. Although rest is great and what you need to recover, the actual build and recovery is more challenging. AM workouts also allow you to feed the rest of the day, to aid in recovery. If you work nights, all this is simply flipped for you sleeping during the day. How much rest, recovery and progress needed is simply a direct reflection of how demanding your workout is on your body. Am workouts on an empty or light stomach, also will help your body burn the right energy. It is easier for our body's enzymes to break down protein for energy, than it is to convert fat to energy. And that is all fat really is, stored energy reserves. You have to feed the body often and on time, so it knows food is there when it needs it. That way it will burn fat and not convert elements to energy with the intent to store it.

AM workouts are good.

blah blah blah blah.... I am a morning person so AM workouts are awesome.

I have never had a morning workout that felt successful for me. I just don't enjoy it like I do when working out in the evening. Working out helps me unwind from the day. I am sure everything that Joe says is true, it just doesn't work for me.

blah blah blah blah.... I am a morning person so AM workouts are awesome.

I have never had a morning workout that felt successful for me. I just don't enjoy it like I do when working out in the evening. Working out helps me unwind from the day. I am sure everything that Joe says is true, it just doesn't work for me.

Lol. Don't hate, just because I get up early. Your groggy mornings on the rally were pretty funny. Kudos to you for making evenings work.

By the way, you just walked into 5 guys, fatty.

I own a gym here in Newark but have been waking up at 3am, driving over to Etna and training at Old School with the 4am crew. I absolutely love getting it in early and out of the way. I am not a morning person by any means of the word, but since I have switched to morning sessions (2 weeks now) I find myself getting out of bed easier.

I have to split it up. I normally go to the climbing gym about 5 days a week, 3 days within 2 hours of getting up and the other 2 days about 6 hours after getting up. When it comes to actual climbing I normally perform better around 6 to 7 o clock in the PM. On the days I go in the mornings I normally perform much worse and then end up working out in the gym. I don't see much effect when I do actual targeted workouts but, I'm not lifting for max, just trying to get in as many reps as I can to target my back and core.

Lol. Don't hate, just because I get up early. Your groggy mornings on the rally were pretty funny. Kudos to you for making evenings work.

By the way, you just walked into 5 guys, fatty.

Us fat guys have to stick together.

Good talking to you!

I work evenings, so I go around noon everyday. The crowd is hit and miss. Sometimes you get soccer mom's who get in the way (ie, use dumbbells RIGHT in front of the rack! so annoying), but most of the times you get people who are on lunch, they get right to it, mind themselves and are for the most part courteous of others.

I'll do weights before work but usually not cardio or running.

Though all negatives listed could be because its a PF, but i knew that when I signed up.

The only time I did morning workouts (Like from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM) was when my kids were really young and my wife didn't want me working out after work, thus more time away from home, etc. But I stopped that a few years ago and went back to working out after work. I'm just not a morning person, so I'd rather do afternoon workouts. Plus the scenery is better. :D

The only workout I get up early for is 6:00 AM hockey downtown on Friday. And that's because it's a good level of play, my friends are there, and I work 5 minutes away.

M-F I do after work usually 5-7, but on Sat and Sun I do go in the morning, usually right after they open and I do feel like I benefit more from that. If I could be bothered to go to bed earlier, early morning workouts could be a thing but I can't so...lol

Sometimes I'll go on lunch and do some cardio just to do something during the day, but save my lifts for after work.