Foster, Adopt, Donate and Vaccinate. FCAS has a Distemper Outbreak, & consequences

mrs.cos

Last week FCAS announced that it had 1 dog tested positive to [Distemper](http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/respiratory/c_dg_canine_distemper?page=2); a viral sickness with no known cure. Distemper is spread through the air, direct and indirect contact and hard to contain.

Due to this situation, FCAS has closed for the weekend. With the shelter being full, many dogs were euthanized last night due to the inability to treat/contain/test all the dogs in the facility.

While I am outraged at the loss of of those lives who may or may not have been fine, I feel that the shelter *MAY* have done the only thing they saw possible for the safety of ALL the animals in the shelter. The numbers of the loss are an unknown right now but based on volunteers working closely with the shelter the number could be anywhere from 60-200 dogs. (at this moment NOTHING has been confirmed by FCAS)

What is known is that most/all dogs were on intake/hold for rescue and that the adoption floor dogs are ok (again hearsay at this moment)

Which brings me to the reason for my post.

Shelters and rescues NEED you.

**Fostering** They need people who are willing to help by bringing a dog into thier house till its furrever home is found. Rescues pay for dog food, vet care and other menial things needed for the dogs/cats in your care. You can request senior dogs, puppies, or adult dogs- maybe you want to work with small dogs only, or large dogs or maybe even only a certain breed. The opportunities are out there and are needed.

**Transports** This is a little known thing that people don't realize about that can be a HUGE help! There are groups who solely focus on getting dogs from one location to another (ie, dog in high kill shelters in kentucky need a ride to a rescue in columbus. Dogs are picked up by someone in KY, dropped to someone in Cincy, someone in cincy takes them to dayton, someone in dayton takes them to columbus)

**Volunteer**

Volunteers are need for MANY things for rescues. Social Media, Videography, Photography, Clerical work, eventwork, Calling potential adopters, and doing background work on applications.

**Donate**

Donations are how almost ALL RESCUES operate. I know for certain PetPromise has an amazon wish list of constantly needed items, and im certain most others have similar lists.

But here is a good shortlist of things that ALL rescues need at any given time.

* Paper Towels

* Bedding

* Dog Food (all ages, canned or kibble)

* Cat Food (all ages, canned or kibble)

* Bottle food for kittens (this is a VERY expensive item that rescues use a lot of)

* Dog toys

* Cat toys

* Puppy pads (disposable or hospital)

* Collars of all sizes

* leashes

* Kongs

* Jolly eggs,bounce (these are great toys for dogs who like to destroy because they cant get thier mouths around them)

* Calming Spray/Collars

* Litter boxes

* Litter

This list is small. I could go on and on.

Other ways to donate- Petsmart has a donate button, PetPromsie has a donate button (im sure your favorite rescue will have one as well)

**Participation**

Share facebook posts- THis is another HUGE but small and easy way to help! You may not be looking, but one of your 400 facebook friends just might be!

Be part of the activities that rescues post about (Yappy Hours, RescueRuns5Ks, ect)

last but not least and would have prevented this entire situation specifically

**Vaccinate**

Vaccination is an ounce of prevention.

there are MANY resources in columbus for LOW COST Vaccinations, Spay-Neuter, and Microchipping.

Check out Columbus Dog Connection for more information.

http://www.columbusdogconnection.com/

My heart is breaking today thinking about the loss of life this weekend (and really any day) for the unadopted animals in our town and all over the country.

Do you have any good links to transport groups.

We can't really take in any more animals but if there's one thing we can do it's long distance driving. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/MobileMuttsRescueTransports/?fref=ts

Also, contact some of the local rescues and let them know that you are willing to be a transporter. (PetPromise routinely pulls form a very high kill shelter in Kentucky)