Help me keep my dad from making a huge mistake.

vonrottes

Alright, so my dad wants to start racing again...and his urge is being fueled by street outlaws.

He used to race a grey 1980 firebird out at trails and ran low 10's when he sold it.

Now that I've got him convinced to run an LS in a new race car. He wants to use his 2005 Silverado 1500 ext cab with a 4.8 and boost the shit out of it with hopes of running in the 11's but to do this he's looking at some $2,000 eBay kit that says it's good for 1,000hp with twin 52's iirc.

And he is also convinced that since hotrod got 1,000hp out of a 4.8 he can do the same without changing any internals.... I've tried to sway him towards the ON3 70mm single kit... Which I know probably isn't much better but it at least looks more professional and doesn't use full silicone cold side piping...

So if anyone has horror stories on ebay turbos, or how a 100% stock LR4 can not make 1,000hp and WILL NOT push a nearly 5,000lb truck into the 11's without serious power/modifications

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Dude its his money right? Let him do it. Whats the worst that could happen?

Because when it blows up it becomes my responsibility to replace the engine....

And the trans goes POW, rear end goes bang, engine follows with the grand finally boom boom

Oh, no I've got him to understand the transmission and rear end will not hold up.. I've tried to tell him the engine will need more work than just bolting on a turbo, but he's got it in his head for some reason that it will work.... I thought I had him convinced to go Nitrous for awhile, until I told him a laptop would need to be plugged in when ever he used the Nitrous since HPT would be the controller....

I just don't get it, he understands how much you have to do in order to make that kind of power on a SBC but thinks a 4.8 can handle it stock.

But it can and will for quite some time if done correctly. The 4.8 is actually a much stronger unit per ci than the 5.3 or 6.0. Good fuel system, good wastegate, and somewhat efficient turbos will allow a mechanically healthy 4.8 make those numbers. It will not last forever,but with a good tune and rpm kept in check it can last 2 to 3 seasons. Attention to details is the key, but the actual turbo itself isn't what takes the engine out, shitty non repeatable wastegate,injectors that work 99.3% of the time, or a fuel pump setup that is borderline.

Spend your money on chads turbo, and inter oiler,and go for good supporting hardware, fuel,gate,etc.

4.8...twins...ebay...ect....wait - A fucking Silverado?! C'mon now. I get a fast old man truck would be neat, but you might as well just do one of those diesel dealies for a fast truck. I think you guys need to rethink the actual platform lol.

It's what he has as a DD and for whatever reason he wants to make it a 1,000hp daily... I personally would rather he get another firebird or something cool.....like an old impala or K5... But his truck is clean and has nothing wrong with it mechanically.

But it can and will for quite some time if done correctly. The 4.8 is actually a much stronger unit per ci than the 5.3 or 6.0. Good fuel system, good wastegate, and somewhat efficient turbos will allow a mechanically healthy 4.8 make those numbers. It will not last forever,but with a good tune and rpm kept in check it can last 2 to 3 seasons. Attention to details is the key, but the actual turbo itself isn't what takes the engine out, shitty non repeatable wastegate,injectors that work 99.3% of the time, or a fuel pump setup that is borderline.

Spend your money on chads turbo, and inter oiler,and go for good supporting hardware, fuel,gate,etc.

No doubt they can, but he just wants to bolt on this cheap ass kit and call it a day. No new fuel pump, no injectors, no ARP bolts....just the kit and boom 1,000hp for $2,000..

He thinks that since the listing says it's a 1,000hp kit... He won't need to change anything... Think the listing also says something along the lines of "tuning optional" and only needing to go with a colder plug.

Sounds like recipe for a bad time if he's trying to relive old times using his daily and cheap parts. He should buy the '02 Z28 that's on here and a nitrous kit, that should get him in the 11s a lot easier and he wouldn't have to worry about blowing his daily apart.

Dad's can be stubborn. My dad had cash in hand and was on his way to Meijer to wire money to some guy for a truck he thought he was about to buy. Pretty much had to scream at him before i got it.

Not saying you need to scream, but present some evidence. Link him to some LS forums with folks blowing their engine up. Otherwise, sit back and when shit blows up, say "I told you so" with a smug look on your face.

Totally not trying to be disrespectful, but how does a guy who thinks he can do this with this truck make it to the 10's back in the day? Honestly, it seems like he has no idea how this ish works, or how what actually goes into making a vehicle fast and reliable.

Sounds like recipe for a bad time if he's trying to relive old times using his daily and cheap parts. He should buy the '02 Z28 that's on here and a nitrous kit, that should get him in the 11s a lot easier and he wouldn't have to worry about blowing his daily apart.

He just bought a Daytona R/T last year and thought he was going to throw a centrifugal supercharger on it... Only to find out the pistons in them grenade with boost. He's trying to go fast as cheaply as possible. I don't get it really He KNOWS speed is expensive.

He's seen even seen me try to skirt by with homemade or cheap alternative parts on my piece of shit only to see it stop working...and eventually blow up in my face.

Just looked at that, I'll show it to him, maybe try to sway him into another car lol

Totally not trying to be disrespectful, but how does a guy who thinks he can do this with this truck make it to the 10's back in the day? Honestly, it seems like he has no idea how this ish works, or how what actually goes into making a vehicle fast and reliable.

Had a really good engine builder...and was willing to drop several thousand dollars on good parts. Man knows how to set up a leaf spring rear end and can tune a carb like no other..... When it comes to the new fangled stuff he sees something on YouTube and believes that is every outcome.

Being influced by street outlaws.

Tell him to pick up golf.

He's got bikes....just bought a.....uh.... Harley something or other glide. Back in like March. It's like a 3rd mid life crisis wanting to race again....maybe get back to how things were in like 2007/2009?

He's got bikes....just bought a.....uh.... Harley something or other glide. Back in like March. It's like a 3rd mid life crisis wanting to race again....maybe get back to how things were in like 2007/2009?

Tell him to sell one of his bikes. The sale of a Harley astroglide would easily finance a drag car roller or a decent start to a proper LS turbo long block.

here are a couple of GM options, I'm sure he could go cheaper if he were willing to play with fox body fords:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5723139318.html

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/5760480556.html

http://muncie.craigslist.org/cto/5789215943.html

http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/5781442362.html

Tell him to get on performancetrucks.net. It's the best forum for LS trucks.

It won't happen just bolting on a turbo kit, but with all of the right mods it is possible. The one that sticks out in my head the most has foose04 as a screen name. He DDed his truck for years with a 9 second truck. I think it had a t-56 too.

That damn show. I'll freely admit when The Crow first made its appearance on the show I opened the door the garage and saw my LeMans sitting there.. thinking hmmm...

Then you do your homework and realize just how much time/money/pain you'll have involved in the car which you will NEVER see back again. Without upgrades to the supporting systems especially fuel that will be one very short lived 4.8..

After trying and trying and even showed him a WS6 that was advertised at 10.9 for 7k he's still set on blowing up his truck..

I get the desire to go fast in something that is not supposed to be fast but damn... This is going to be a costly mistake. And the "cost appeal" of the cheap turbo kits, I'm guilty of wanting to rig up a $400 ebay kit for a fiero on my S10 when it still had a 2.8....

I got a friend coming in from Dayton tonight maybe he can talk some sense into him since he is/was a GM tech...