Phil from Columbus Cigar Car & Gun Club

Diamonds

He showed up to Lenox C&C a bunch of times, once with a suicide door Lincoln continental and a bunch more with a ragged out E28 M5. Wes even chased him out once for soliciting for his club in a fairly obnoxious manner (randomly walking up to random people as asking if They were republican or something like that IIRC). The guy was a huge douche every time he showed up.

in case someone wants to read about his "ponzi scheme"

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1061997.html

Instead of purchasing the stocks as promised, however, Cordek pocketed the money and then paid returns to original investors by taking from principal sums contributed by new B & G investors.   The result was a classic “Ponzi” scheme, an investment scheme in which investors are promised excessive returns on investments and where, typically, initial investors are paid the promised returns to attract additional investors.2  In January and February 1986, Cordek purchased stock for himself through Perham and Mutual Services, Inc. with the money received from the “Ponzi” scheme.   By November 1986, Customer Creditors had lost approximately $3 million.

He showed up to Lenox C&C a bunch of times, once with a suicide door Lincoln continental and a bunch more with a ragged out E28 M5. Wes even chased him out once for soliciting for his club in a fairly obnoxious manner (randomly walking up to random people as asking if They were republican or something like that IIRC). The guy was a huge douche every time he showed up.

I'm half amazed that this guy didn't catch on with CR membership...

I went to one of their events as a guest when it was held at Auto Assets last year...wasn't a huge fan of the guy nor the club.

Went to this as well because we got "insider" entry price for being with the guys from the shop. NO WAY would his events be worth the true price he charges for them. Have a fried in the cigar business who worked with him for a couple of events and said he never will again. He would try to beat him up on price and buy the absolute cheapest cigars available to give his valued members for their $50-$75 entrance fee.

It's a shame cause the idea of the club us a good one, but when you try to monetize it you clearly end up with douche-nozzles like this.

It's a shame cause the idea of the club us a good one, but when you try to monetize it you clearly end up with douche-nozzles like this.

Eh....I don't think I would go that far. The club was basically just so he could create a revenue stream and maybe mine for clients for his private equity company. It's too many niche interests and would limit membership. We can't even get a consensus of those three things on this site and it's free.

Clubs in general are a good idea but they need to happen organically.

I honestly feel like you could put together group events on these 3 subjects that would be baller. In fact, I think you should. :fuckyeah:

Well, I thought it was a very cool idea based on my interests. But then some friends clued me in to the idea that he was a bad guy and that this "fun club" would eventually not be fun.

But, I would have rather had it a "come as you are" idea with a membership review process instead of a "we prey on people who will think this is cool and then charge them" idea.

I guess some people just DO NOT understand that when they try and get everything they want for free that those people won't think "god this guy is unbearable". Thus, wearing out the proverbial welcome over time and earning a poor reputation.

For a club like this to exist and do it right you would need to do it and expect not to make a lot of money because the money would be going back into the members.

If it were my club i'd charge 100 bucks per month. Have a strict "referral only" process with interviews. And use other local clubs (car guys, gun guys, etc) to find worthwhile members to have. I'd also keep it decently small and the money would go right back into the members. I'd basically just be organizing the events.

It would consist of cigar/whiskey dinners, car events (ranging from meetups to shop hangouts), diversified range days (clays, pistol, Rifle, Long range) combined with a goal of "what to diversely own and why" so that people built a well rounded gun collection, and then community involvement to be somewhat philanthropic.

Once a month, and rotating through the topics (Guns, cars, cigars/booze).

And, a perk of being a member would be a local web of places to get deals/help/etc regarding guns, car stuff,cigars, and booze.

It's quite simple. You cannot keep the lion's share. You have to build value for the members.

But, I can't do it for free. And if I could do it for free I wouldn't have enough time. So, it will never work..... unless I win the lottery.

ohwwwww now DJ...

That's not gonna help ya now is it...

Help me what? Ask yourself this question; Would a guy (who is a chach) offering membership into a club that is purported to be centered around Guns, Cars, and Cigars and who actively markets to Republicans seem like he might find some interest on this board, which is a board run by a guy (who is a chach) that purports itself to be about Cars (and guns and to a lesser extent cigars) that feature a heavy Republican base. If you answered "no", you haven't been paying attention.

If it were my club i'd charge 100 bucks per month.

I'm, legitimately curious, how did you get to that number? that's a $1200 a year membership which puts it in the realm of some country club memberships. Is it basically to fund the activities? since you talk about not using it to make a profit where would the money go exactly?

I'm, legitimately curious, how did you get to that number? that's a $1200 a year membership which puts it in the realm of some country club memberships. Is it basically to fund the activities? since you talk about not using it to make a profit where would the money go exactly?

I said 100 because it seemed like a nice even round number. Keep in mind it's all in a "get what you give" mentality. If I charge 50/month you wont get as much. If I charge 1,000/month you will get a new gun each month. I hope this simply exaggerative example shows you what I mean. the monthly payment amount dictates how awesome the club can be. I did also want to note that I would only expect 20-40 members to be in this club so there is literally no way of "getting rich".

So, to answer the question... 100 bucks a month pays for dinners, cigars, booze one month.... and then shooting gear and accessories (range fees, clay fees, targets, ear pro, safety glasses that you get to keep that might be branded with the club's logo) the next month.... And then some of the money will go to the costs to rent rooms/clubs/etc, photographers, website, swag/clothing, cigar cutters, custom shit. Think of it this way, 100 bucks may cover the majority of the money you spend that month.

I think 100/month is chump change for the type of people that this club "should" attract if done right. Quite frankly I may just do 3 tiered packages 10/100/1000 and the thousand club gets something awesome each month. The 10 dollar club gets the food scraps, smoked cigars, and they get to lick the rim of the empty whiskey glasses.

PS - I've not seen a worthwhile country club that costs near 1200.00 per year (for a guy who indirectly proclaims to be so smart this is puzzling). Most CC's that don't allow jeans or cutoff t-shirts cost 300-500 per month PLUS you are going to blow 500-1000 on food and other stuff. So, in my eyes and from my experience a country club is about a 10K commitment per year at minimum if you actually use it.

Lol this guy attacked me when I rolled in to c&c with my old Lincoln cause he was driving a Lincoln that he tried to claim was THE car from entourage

Attacked you like "oh cool we have the same car" or attacked you like "you are going to steal my thunder"