How to Dress for an Automotive Industry Interview?

acklac7

So, I'll be Interviewing next week (and potentially the weeks after, depending on how things go).

Im traditionally a White Collar guy and have worked mostly White Collar Jobs. Grew up in a well-off (at times) Family in Upper Arlington. Likewise have always been raised to dress classy (My Dad doesn't own a pair of blue jeans).

I've always been told to "Dress for the Job you want". Problem is, I only have extremely high-end/expensive clothing. I know this can be frowned upon in certain Industries.

So, those of you guys in the Industry, how would you dress for an Interview?

I'm currently Applying for Jobs in Parts, but can easily see myself moving into (Dealership) Service-Writing within the next two years.

Advice is Appreciated.

So, I'll be Interviewing next week (and potentially the weeks after, depending on how things go).

Im traditionally a White Collar guy and have worked mostly White Collar Jobs. Grew up in a well-off (at times) Family in Upper Arlington. Likewise have always been raised to dress classy (My Dad doesn't own a pair of blue jeans).

I've always been told to "Dress for the Job you want". Problem is, I only have extremely high-end/expensive clothing. I know this can be frowned upon in certain Industries.

So, those of you guys in the Industry, how would you dress for an Interview?

I'm currently Applying for Jobs in Parts, but can easily see myself moving into (Dealership) Service-Writing within the next two years.

Advice is Appreciated.

Dress to impress. A collared dress shirt and khaki's at the bare minimum, a three piece suite might make you come off a pretentious. That happy middle ground (dress pants, shirt and tie) are PERFECT.

Make sure whatever you wear is pressed/ironed and your face is shaved. You want to make the impression that your are well organized and pay attention to the details.

-Jake

Dress to match the culture of the place. Is it pristine white walls and a very modern look with techs/writers wearing pressed uniforms? Suit.

Is it a normal service dept with polished concrete and crap strewn everywhere? oxford/slacks/tie would be fine.

Dress to match the culture of the place. Is it pristine white walls and a very modern look with techs/writers wearing pressed uniforms? Suit.

Is it a normal service dept with polished concrete and crap strewn everywhere? oxford/slacks/tie would be fine.

Thank you. Read the room.

What he said. I always prefer to be over dressed and I'm sure the hiring manager would take note.

-Marc

No one is going to notice the brand of your clothing.

I worked in the auto industry for 5 years (in HR, so I've interested probably over 500 people) and I've never once looked at the brand of clothing, but rather the appearance.

I get the feeling you just wanted to let us know how nice your clothes are, ha! ;)

Go buy a white Oxford and take it to a place that does embroidery. Have said company's logo stitched on. Wear that and some dress pants and some of your high dollar shoes. Show up and let them see how good their logo looks on you. You will be hired on the spot.

Go buy a white Oxford and take it to a place that does embroidery. Have said company's logo stitched on. Wear that and some dress pants and some of your high dollar shoes. Show up and let them see how good their logo looks on you. You will be hired on the spot.

This is like saying I love you on the first date.

Don't do this.

When in doubt the "prep school uniform":

Blue blazer or sport coat, tan or gray slacks, white shirt, oxfords. Dress belt, rep tie.

It's a convertible outfit. It can look as formal as a suit if that's what the situation calls for, but you can also lose various pieces if the situation requires something more "casual"

It's more important that everything be clean and pressed and creased sharp than brand.

http://65.media.tumblr.com/5cd0910b8f9c35aa82b2d147f248478a/tumblr_nmd2aoJUE31r7a6kpo1_400.jpg

http://global.ralphlauren.com/SiteCollectionImages/polo/style/EN/rlclassics/Men/repp_tie/rl_classics_repptie_06.jpg

When in doubt the "prep school uniform":

Blue blazer or sport coat, tan or gray slacks, white shirt, oxfords. Dress belt, rep tie.

It's a convertible outfit. It can look as formal as a suit if that's what the situation calls for, but you can also lose various pieces if the situation requires something more "casual"

It's more important that everything be clean and pressed and creased sharp than brand.

Solid advice, especially the part I bolded.

Anywhere that cares about the brand you wear is not somewhere you should aspire to work.

Dark blue power suit for sure, lose the vest.

I work in operations and when I showed up for an interview in sales wearing a suit I instantly separated myself from the other candidates just because of that. No one will notice brand names unless you tell them.

"You can never be overdressed or over educated." - Oscar Wilde

Alright, Alright, Alright. I came off a little Pretentious. I noticed that after the fact, was going to edit my post but said fuck it.

That said i've overdressed for Interviews before and it was Awkward. I wanted to convey that I don't have cheap shit and often dress snazzy. I also wanted to convey that I don't have much experience with Interviewing for Blue Collar Jobs.

Thanks to all who've responded. I knew I would get nothing short of good advice :)

Alright, Alright, Alright. I came off a little Pretentious. I noticed that after the fact, was going to edit my post but said fuck it.

That said i've overdressed for Interviews before and it was Awkward. I wanted to convey that I don't have cheap shit and often dress snazzy. I also wanted to convey that I don't have much experience with Interviewing for Blue Collar Jobs.

Thanks to all who've responded. I knew I would get nothing short of good advice :)

Do you own any high end clothes? Have you ever interviewed for a "blue collar job"?

Just checking as you haven't covered those points yet.

Just wear khakis and a polo. You're applying at a place I buy my windshield wiper fluid from. Who gives a fuck.

That's what I was initially thinking. However all my Polo's are bright and faggity colored. Not exactly what you're used to seeing in the Industry.

Looks like I have some shopping to do either way.

Edited by acklac7