F1 Fans - The Rosberg Era

El Karacho1647545492

Apparently ends as quickly as it began.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38185846

Good on him for going out on his terms, and on top. I respect Lewis's talent but absolutely hate his sportsmanship. Bravo to Nico for living life the way he wants. I hope we get to see his talent in other race series, I bet he comes back when his daughter grows up.

Wow, no shit? Pulled a seinfield leaving on a high note.

Well, that's that? Inb4 tv deal on top gear, I mean grand tour, I mean, uh, whatever.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him for 15 years. Just got married, had a kid, achieved the highest honor in his field. No reason to do anything but relax and be a dad now.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him for 15 years. Just got married, had a kid, achieved the highest honor in his field. No reason to do anything but relax and be a dad now.

only way he comes back at that age is just driving sports cars for the heck of it. Webber tried that for a few years and got bored of that quickly and now has gone into full retirement acting as just a consultant now for Porsche.

only way he comes back at that age is just driving sports cars for the heck of it. Webber tried that for a few years and got bored of that quickly and now has gone into full retirement acting as just a consultant now for Porsche.

Oh I don't mean coming back in F1, I mean doing his glory day victory laps in WEC or something, a la Webber.

be interesting to see who gets his seat? Ricciardo? Max? Vettel?

My money's on Wehrlein.

Seb has a get-out clause in his Ferrari contract apparently if he scored few enough points...I wonder if he was under that number?

Honestly it'd be amazing to see Alonso take the seat, since Dennis got ousted I bet he's not too keen on staying with McFailen.

Danny Kvyat would be an interesting person to see in that seat as well, he has to be fairly disgruntled and ready to move after being demoted mid season. I'm not sure he can get out of his contract either.

Great point. Strong enough driver to give him the seat, but not so strong that he'd cause strife within the team I think.

I'm frankly disappointed that Rosberg won the championship in the first place. The guy's a fine driver, but he's a terrible race car driver - in that he's pretty bad in traffic.

He does really well in qualifying, because you're out there alone, trying to make quick lap times. Then he gets on pole, or P2, and runs out ahead of the pack in turn one, and disappears.

When he gets stuck back in the pack and has to contend with wheel-to-wheel racing, I think he gets rattled really quickly and can't perform.

Hamilton, both Ferrari, and both Red Bull drivers are all very good wheel-to-wheel racers. I'd rather have seen any of those five guys on the top before Nico "Joffrey Baratheon" Rosberg.

Glad he's leaving.

I'm frankly disappointed that Rosberg won the championship in the first place. The guy's a fine driver, but he's a terrible race car driver - in that he's pretty bad in traffic.

He does really well in qualifying, because you're out there alone, trying to make quick lap times. Then he gets on pole, or P2, and runs out ahead of the pack in turn one, and disappears.

When he gets stuck back in the pack and has to contend with wheel-to-wheel racing, I think he gets rattled really quickly and can't perform.

Hamilton, both Ferrari, and both Red Bull drivers are all very good wheel-to-wheel racers. I'd rather have seen any of those five guys on the top before Nico "Joffrey Baratheon" Rosberg.

Glad he's leaving.

Hamilton is only as good a traffic driver as his car allows. Dude has a lot of skill but he's not a WDC without a clearly dominant car. I would've said the same of Seb a couple years ago but seeing what both he and Kimi pulled out of the clearly inferior Ferraris this year convinced me they're the 2 best drivers in the field.

Hamilton is only as good a traffic driver as his car allows. Dude has a lot of skill but he's not a WDC without a clearly dominant car. I would've said the same of Seb a couple years ago but seeing what both he and Kimi pulled out of the clearly inferior Ferraris this year convinced me they're the 2 best drivers in the field.

hrummm....I'm not necessarily a Hamilton Fanboy though I do really enjoy watching him race. Personally I think he's the best and most ballsy talent the sport has had since Juan Pablo Montoya pissed everyone off. Just so happens he's in the best car so it makes things look easy most of the time. I'm excited to see the new cars and see if the Mercedes struggle...because I think he'll really show how good he is then.

Driver of the year for me goes to Kimi. He finally got comfortable in that car and had some great races at the end of the year. I'd really like to see both Ferrari's fight for race win's on pace not alternative pit strategy.

hrummm....I'm not necessarily a Hamilton Fanboy though I do really enjoy watching him race. Personally I think he's the best and most ballsy talent the sport has had since Juan Pablo Montoya pissed everyone off. Just so happens he's in the best car so it makes things look easy most of the time. I'm excited to see the new cars and see if the Mercedes struggle...because I think he'll really show how good he is then.

Driver of the year for me goes to Kimi. He finally got comfortable in that car and had some great races at the end of the year. I'd really like to see both Ferrari's fight for race win's on pace not alternative pit strategy.

I disagree with you on Ham. When he's got a great car he's ballsy and aggressive, when he didn't (McLaren-Mercedes) he's impetuous and dangerous. IMO it comes down to the context. Yeah he's got balls and yeah he's a very good driver, but he couldn't translate that skill and aggression into success without literally the best (and arguably more important than best, but most reliable) car in the field. Additionally, I would argue that Hamilton has, since becoming WDC for the first time, gotten away with quite a bit in terms of on-track incidents. The stewards went from IMO accurately penalizing his insane habits in the McLaren-Mercedes to basically letting him get away with whatever he wants in the Benz. You will never convince me that the stewards haven't played some role in his repeated WDC success since his switch to the Silver Arrows.

Funny that Bennett mentioned Nico being a quali genius but shitty in a race when Lewis literally lost several races at the start line/first corner this year when starting from pole position just because he couldn't get his car off the line like everyone else.

EDIT: For context, I'm a HUGE JPM fan. In every series, F1, NASCAR, and Indy.

kimi deserves more respect than he gets-fastest lap at 2 or 3 GP this year. I had hopes for Bottas to be the future, but Max has to be close the most talented and still young enough to get get better. His saves and drive in the rain showed skill

Per Hammy/Rosberg, I think Hammy is the better driver, but Rosberg has the better attitude. I think Rosberg made a smart decision. He has a family now, and a F1 career is a massive commitment. But he could still do other forms of racing that aren't so travel-intensive. Doing LeMans once a year could scratch that itch..

I'm a fan of Vettel. I think he and Kimi are excellent drivers and the Ferrari just isn't up to the task. Ever time Ferrari took a step forward, Mercedes would do the same. They had a 2 second gap last year, made up those 2 seconds in development, and ended up with a 2 second gap again this year. Hopefully the new rules will shake things up enough to make things competitive again.

But for best driver on the grid, my vote goes to Alonso. When Ferrari sucked, he'd carry that car on his back and make his way up the field. With McLaren/Honda he's done wonders, scoring more than twice the points of Button and finishing in the top 10 overall with that boat anchor of an engine.

Good for Nico. Got what he wanted and now he'll peace out.

I think the best drivers on the grid are Alonso, Vettel, and Hamilton. I think that Vettel is the most scientific/consistent of them where Alonso and Hamilton are more emotional/aggressive. Obviously all have netted WDC's and all were earned.