TDI owners stripping their cars before turning them in...

HotCarl

I'm a little shocked that's flying, there's no way they don't know about it with a simple title search. You'd think they could just deny the payment and repo the car based on being required to turn it in and give them current market value. Though probably vw doesn't care because the write off is worth it...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

things just keep getting interesting with Dieselgate:

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-hoarders-say-theyre-making-huge-profits-off-1791341120

So it seems like arbitrage is in full effect with these things. It's interesting that people can still buy used VWs and meet the requirements of the buy back.

how is this possible? i thought you had to prove ownership before a certain date in order to get the money from VW?

how is this possible? i thought you had to prove ownership before a certain date in order to get the money from VW?

I went back and read the exclusions, and they are complicated and not worded as clearly as they could be. My understanding is that if you purchase after sept 2015, and you transfer title before participating in the settlement you are ineligible, however, if you buy it and decide to participate in the buyback before you transfer title you should be ok.

seems strange I know:

The following entities and individuals are excluded from the class:

Owners who acquired ownership of their Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicles after September 18, 2015, and transfer title before participating in the Settlements;

Lessees of a Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle that is leased from a leasing company other than Volkswagen Credit, Inc. or Audi Financial Services;

Owners whose Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle (1) could not be driven under the power of its own 2.0-liter TDI engine on June 28, 2016, or (2) had a branded title of assembled, dismantled, flood, junk, rebuilt, reconstructed, or salvage on September 18, 2015, and was acquired from a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015;

Owners who sell or otherwise transfer ownership of their Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle between June 28, 2016 and September 16, 2016;

Volkswagen’s officers, directors and employees and participants in Volkswagen’s internal lease program; Volkswagen’s affiliates and affiliates’ officers, directors and employees; their distributors and distributors’ officers, directors and employees; and Volkswagen dealers and Volkswagen dealers’ officers and directors;

Judicial officers and their immediate family members and associated court staff assigned to this case; and

All those otherwise in the class who or which timely and properly opt out of the class as provided in the Class Action Settlement.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

from the settlement document itself (emphasis mine):

An Eligible Owner is

the registered owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle on June 28, 2016, or the registered owner or owners who acquire an Eligible Vehicle after June 28, 2016, but before the end of the Claim Period, except that the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc. as of September 18, 2015, and purchased an Eligible Vehicle previously leased by that owner after June 28, 2016 shall be an Eligible Lessee. A Non-Volkswagen Dealer who, on or after June 28, 2016, holds title to or holds by bill of sale an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories shall qualify as an Eligible Owner regardless of whether that Non-Volkswagen Dealer is registered as the owner of the Eligible Vehicle, provided that the Non-Volkswagen Dealer otherwise meets the definition of Eligible Owner.

the claims period ends sept 2018.

• 2 months later...

I guess VW is now stripping out the MSRP on 2015 Leftovers:

http://jalopnik.com/you-can-now-buy-brand-new-tdi-volkswagens-with-crazy-di-1794431334

This incredible insider tip comes from our friends at CarsDirect.com. They got a scoop from a Volkswagen spokesperson who confirmed that existing 2015 TDI inventory that has been fixed according to the approved settlement, would be subject to a $5,000 finance rebate in addition to a 0 percent financing offer.

Some dealers are waiting to see if the TDI loyalists will pay out the ass for these once the heavily discounted ones disappear.

I don't know why they'd want to hang on to those lumps any longer than they have to.

what do you mean? I actually do miss my TDI. 50+mpg and shit ton of torque was awesome. not to mention it was a wagon so it had tons of storage which my sedan doesn't have now. If my TDI wagon wasnt in a wreck at some point of its life and VW didnt offer me more than I paid for it I probably would have kept it.

what do you mean? I actually do miss my TDI. 50+mpg and shit ton of torque was awesome. not to mention it was a wagon so it had tons of storage which my sedan doesn't have now. If my TDI wagon wasnt in a wreck at some point of its life and VW didnt offer me more than I paid for it I probably would have kept it.

I think he meant the dealers holding on to them since they are all 2015 and earlier models.

There are some dealers that are holding to sticker or even a premium in the case of "desirable cars", till the dealers willing to sell at a $5K-8K discount have all left the market. Then they will fleece the TDI fanboys who want new ones but weren't able to buy the discounted ones.

Since the $5K incentive from VW isn't well advertised, there are some dealers who are holding out of MSRP keeping the $5K incentive for themselves. As far as I know it is legal for them to do since it is a dealer incentive and not a rebate.

I think the $5k discount is too little. The minute you drive it off the lot, you have a 3 year old used car. There are several '15s listed on Autotrader right now with no advertised discounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember, VW settled with the dealers in January of this year for $1.21 Billion to be paid out over 18 months. So there are a lot of dealers who still probably haven't received enough from VW to offset the damage done. I don't know if these $5K incentives are part of the settlement or if they are separate to help move units. I have to agree that $5K is too little for new units, but again remember these are dealer incentives not customer incentives so there are dealers adding their own discounts on top of the $5K just to get the cars out the door (hence why Jalopnik is reporting up to $8K worth of incentives for some cars seen in the wild).

there are also dealers with things like $35K msrp manual trans diesel wagons who want $35K for them because apparently everyone who wants a TDI wants a manual wagon or at least they are betting that someone wants that so they can pocket the $5K VW incentive.

Worst thing you can do to a car is not drive it, and a lot of these cars may have been sitting for some time. No way to tell either.

I realize a number of these buyers will own the cars until they fall apart around the wheels. However, with VAG exiting the US diesel market, I can't imagine parts or service will be very easy or cheap to come by in a few years. I believe they're required to provide parts support for 7 years after the model year date, but it's a hard sell to have a car you know is gonna be a PITA to get parts for by 2022.

I have found several "new" 2015 models, but have yet to see any below MSRP. Has anyone found any to backup this story beyond the screenshot in the article?

(I only searched manual cars)

$17,235 <-- MSRP $25,735

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/699326188/overview/

$18,060 <-- MSPR $23,880

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/699261078/overview/

$18,085 <-- MSRP $23,795

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/636276008/overview/

this is the closest one in brunswick ohio (the vw dealer in brunswick has a bunch of auto jetta wagons at a discount too, none advertised closer but if you went into a dealer locally there might be an discount to negotiated):

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/623125915/overview/

$25,997 <--MSRP $28,565

So, the "new" 2015 vehicles being sold, do they still get the same factory warranty? I would be worried about seals and tires and such drying out from sitting then possibly failing.

As far as I know they are being sold as new vehicles so guessing the would retain the new from factory warranty, guess you would need to verify with the dealer to make sure.

As far as I know they are being sold as new vehicles so guessing the would retain the new from factory warranty, guess you would need to verify with the dealer to make sure.

eh...maybe.....There are situations where the dealer may have marked the unit sold to VW in which case the warranty would have begun to run down even if the vehicle didn't transfer. I don't know how that works with the VW TDI stop sales order and whether VW is aware and willing to honor from the point of sale but it is a question that needs to be asked (verify the warranty and get it in writing).

I just saw that there is also now a $8500 incentive for anyone who wants to lease a new 2015 TDI. Again dealers have the choice whether to offer it to the customer or pocket the difference.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1110002_modified-new-2015-volkswagen-tdi-diesels-come-with-big-discounts

Audi is offering 1.9% apr for 60 months on their affected vehicles which to me seems like a pretty big FU until you realize that 2 litre Audi Diesels in the US are almost all automatic A3 wagons (all 12 of them).

eh...maybe.....There are situations where the dealer may have marked the unit sold to VW in which case the warranty would have begun to run down even if the vehicle didn't transfer. I don't know how that works with the VW TDI stop sales order and whether VW is aware and willing to honor from the point of sale but it is a question that needs to be asked (verify the warranty and get it in writing).

Hence the.

you would need to verify with the dealer to make sure.
Did you not read? Man you are annoying.