Home Values WTF

Geeesammy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know...I leave you guys for a few hours to do some work and go do an office Christmas party at Pins, and you guys go full potato in this thread.

Buncha dick-swinging, no-accounting blowhards up in hurr. Douches should be ashamed of yourselves.

Pssh who needs balance sheets in business

I know you aren't actually looking but for reference what, roughly, are you looking for? The market is obviously hot as you are seeing but so much of it depends on the price range and location. We are in a weird time in the history of homes where more people then ever are looking and paying for turn key homes while at the same time home renovation and upgrades have never been hotter.

I'd say it will be interesting to see where things go from here. My best example is my last house. It was built in 03 for 146,000. foreclosed on, I bought it and sold this spring for 135,000 it's probably now worth right around 140,000. In many areas homes are only now getting back to where they were when they were built. If they should or shouldn't be worth that is another conversation...

3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage, preferably detached but dont care.. Enough of a yard for the dog to have an "area" basement is a plus but not required

i considered buying a house in florida for the year i was there---in 2008. the house we rented for a year was for sale at $320k. at the end of the year, no shit, those houses cost $240k. what a crazy mcsteak that would have been.

i lived in hilliard for 5 years, in a house i paid $134k for. my late grandfather gave me $15k to put down on the house and i did NUMEROUS upgrades---tile, redid the kitchen, bathrooms, and finished the basement--all my own labor. i sold the house to my brother for $125k---without a realtor. he lived in it for 5 years and sold it for a slight loss when he went on to fellowship in 2013. he was pissed---how could he be? it was just the 'unluck' of the market.

renting gets rid of that risk/anxiety/etc. invest your money elsewhere and not be tied down to a house unless you know you're going to be there for 10 years. most people in their 20's have no fucking idea that they are going to be in one location for 3-4 years, let alone 10. when you rent, you can get up and move at any time, and not worry about a thing. there is some value to that. again, just food for thought.

This has basically been my thought process after making this. Thanks for the insight

You know...I leave you guys for a few hours to do some work and go do an office Christmas party at Pins, and you guys go full potato in this thread.

Buncha dick-swinging, no-accounting blowhards up in hurr. Douches should be ashamed of yourselves.

:fuckyeah:

I'm finally getting around to CR after a stupid busy day myself, and it's the whole asset v liability war yet again.

Which I'm not getting into :gabe:

That said, and on the original topic, I wish my house had sold as stupid fast as people are carrying on about, but it took something like three (maybe even four) months. Part of that was aspirational pricing by my agent, but I also got a couple of really insulting offers that had they not had the potential for a bidding war, I wouldn't have even bothered responding to (except maybe to say 'get stuffed'). People these days are expecting not just "move-in ready," but just about every freaking upgrade under the sun (brand new appliances, granite or even quartz countertops, fully decked whole-body spraying showers, you get the idea).

As others said before the thread went sideways, get yourself a realtor (interview a bunch so you find someone you think you'll enjoy working with), and be honest that right now, you're more interested in just seeing what's out there, at what price points, than you are in going into contract before the year's out. A LOT of houses will hit the market in March and April as the school year gets closer to ending, and so what you see now will give you ideas, and maybe come spring you'll see something that puts it all together at a price that you think is fair. Keep in mind that the list price is their ask. Your bid doesn't have to be anywhere near that. Just don't insult them (e.g. offering $75/sqft for move-in ready when the neighborhood's going rate is $105 for no updates, and $130 with).