Goodbye SS, Hello Stinger...

o0n8

The $72k giulia is the quatrafolio model, or in other words the direct competitor to the M3. It's a 505hp twin turbo v6 that will supposedly do 200mph and 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. It's also $40k more than the base Giulia, which is supposed to be a direct 3 series competitor.

I hear the are fun cars but the two things I have learned from Italian vehicles are: 1) always buy them used because the 1st owner spends the money sorting out the bugs, 2) the only thing with worse depreciation is a British car, and the difference is literally pennies.

Yeah, I know it was the QV, and I think the top speed is 191 or 194 mph, while a Hellcat will do over 200. My point was that $90k for an ATS-V is outrageous, and if the QV has similar options at that price it's a no-brainer.

I've driven two Guilia's, one RWD 4 cylinder turbo and one AWD. They were fun to drive on the street and seemed to handle pretty well. I didn't get to use them on the track.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know it was the QV, and I think the top speed is 191 or 194 mph, while a Hellcat will do over 200. My point was that $90k for an ATS-V is outrageous, and if the QV has similar options at that price it's a no-brainer.

It's a limited 191mph, where as the lesser Giulia's have the limiter at 155. the 191 is theoretical at this point, I don't think anybody has actually driven one that fast yet (I also think it's mostly italian bravado but what do I know?). My understanding was that it was limited there because the cooling system can't support a sustained high speed run over that number (the active aero on the car is to aid in cooling, not actual aerodynamics). With the limiter removed and a tail wind, it will probably get there, it is within spitting distance of 200.

I think Dodge verified a charger hellcat at 204mph (206 one way 202 the other), considering what a brick the charger is it probably used all 707 horses to pull that off. Still it's massively impressive that we have potential daily driver cars that can post these numbers in largely stock trim.

I've driven two Guilia's, one RWD 4 cylinder turbo and one AWD. They were fun to drive on the street and seemed to handle pretty well. I didn't get to use them on the track.

I think that's the larger point. powerful cars are getting more common but really engaging cars are getting slightly harder to find. I was talking to someone the other day about GM's vague steering and how the most engaging part of most of their LS cars these days is the drive train. Every new camaro I have driven I have felt the same way. The car is still amazingly good compared to the junk I am used to but still, when you get something that's really good it stands out.

It's a limited 191mph, where as the lesser Giulia's have the limiter at 155. the 191 is theoretical at this point, I don't think anybody has actually driven one that fast yet (I also think it's mostly italian bravado but what do I know?). My understanding was that it was limited there because the cooling system can't support a sustained high speed run over that number (the active aero on the car is to aid in cooling, not actual aerodynamics). With the limiter removed and a tail wind, it will probably get there, it is within spitting distance of 200.

I think Dodge verified a charger hellcat at 204mph (206 one way 202 the other), considering what a brick the charger is it probably used all 707 horses to pull that off. Still it's massively impressive that we have potential daily driver cars that can post these numbers in largely stock trim.

I think that's the larger point. powerful cars are getting more common but really engaging cars are getting slightly harder to find. I was talking to someone the other day about GM's vague steering and how the most engaging part of most of their LS cars these days is the drive train. Every new camaro I have driven I have felt the same way. The car is still amazingly good compared to the junk I am used to but still, when you get something that's really good it stands out.

Have you driven a 6th gen Camaro (2016+)? It is based on the ATS and gets rave reviews for steering feel - I have not had a chance unfortunately.

Have you driven a 6th gen Camaro (2016+)? It is based on the ATS and gets rave reviews for steering feel - I have not had a chance unfortunately.

Not yet. One 2013 ZL1, One 2012 and one 2010 SS, and a 2014 RS 6cyl. To be honest I haven't seen more than maybe 2 or 3 6th gen camaros in the wild yet and only one of them an SS. I don't know anybody who has bought one.

Of all of them the ZL1 was the most bonkers car and one that made me re-think my position on the horsepower arms race that is currently going on being a good thing with no downsides. It was also the best built of all of them. My buddy was using it as a daily driver and I had to wonder...how? It was the most efficient method to turn gas into tire smoke and noise I had ever seen but every on ramp was an adventure whether you wanted it to be or not. I originally gave him shit for buying an automatic but after the stability control more than once kept me from putting the thing into a tree, and him explaining that the manual doesn't have as good a stability control, I quietly dropped that complaint. To be honest the most frustrating time with the steering was when the car was crossed up and I couldn't really feel the feedback to keep it from swapping ends (it didn't but I couldn't tell where I was sometimes). Don't get me wrong, it wasn't sloppy at all, it went where I pointed it, but it was just kind of numb.