Noise question..

Mace1647545504

I have an 02 acura tl-s. It has started to make a weird noise I feel somewhere in the tranny.

Let me start by saying it supposedly had 2nd gear done..ok here we go.

The sound is a rubbing not grinding sound.

When i first start out with the car cold no noise, but within 1/4 mile the noise begins. It is the loudest when in maybe 2nd ..maybe 3rd gear but can be present in several higher gears.

The really weird part is it is always there when I let off the gas completely. If I accelerate slowly by keeping my foot somewhat on the gas the noise doesn't seem to be there or maybe not noticeable. I have taken the car on the freeway let it decelerate hard put it in neutral the sound goes away..put it back in gear sound comes back..neutral goes away.

From what I read I thought it might be a torque converter bearing.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

mace

Well I had to go to work tonight and tried something. I heard the sound got about 200 yards into the lot, stopped put it in reverse and went screaming backwards down the drive probably 15-20 mph let off the gas which is what always make the sound and guess what...no sound.

Ideas??

Sounds like you are on the right track, unfortunately that's not a quick and easy repair you have ahead of you. Most shops you are looking 6-8 hours of labor plus parts so you'll quickly be up there in the 700+ range all in