Ryzen 1700 CPU Build. Opinions? Advice?

944s2

I am building a new computer, have not built one in a decade and really need something for my photography business plus I want to be able to game.

I am basically set on ordering:

Ryzen 1700

Asus X370 Pro MB

Corsair Vengeance 2X8gig DDR4

Samsung M2 500gig SSD (massive speed for processing photos in LR)

EVGA 1080 (found one for $499 now that the TI is out)

Already picked up a EVGA G3 750w PS for $99

Need opinions on what case I should go with... I really would like a full tower around the $150 range.

Basically I am around the $1500 mark for this build but I want it to last for at least 5 years. Eventually I would like to close loop water cool the processor and overclock to 4Ghz

Anything anyone would do different?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill never buy AMD again

play nice now.... AMD is back baby!!!

A case you say?

well, go with the InWin 303. I have seen many people go with this case for their builds in the past few months and I have got to say it looks EXTREMELY good. Yea, i know it's not a full tower case, but this case comes with a nice window to show off the build and lots of RBG placement options.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108483

An honorable mention would be the S340 Elite. It's basically a regular S340 with a huge side window and a headset holder. I have an S340 as my case right now and I love it.

Best of luck with the build! =)

Ill never buy AMD again

Sadly, this. Except for video card...until NVIDIA gets there shit together and supports multiple resolutions.

From the benchmarks I've looked at, the i5s and i7s are equal if not better than the Ryzen, at the same price or cheaper. Wait until their not so new.

Sadly, this. Except for video card...until NVIDIA gets there shit together and supports multiple resolutions.

From the benchmarks I've looked at, the i5s and i7s are equal if not better than the Ryzen, at the same price or cheaper. Wait until their not so new.

Why all the AMD hate? the Ryzen chips did exactly what they said they would do. They took on Intel at their high priced chips and made something that was competitive... Yes, Intel does have some chips that do things better then Ryzen, but it depends on what you are comparing them to. right now AMD is smart to focus on the budget systems. Their "bang for the buck" philosophy has been earning them business for the past few years... can't really say the same for Intel with their CPUs... factually speaking there is no need to upgrade from Skylake because there is virtually no difference between their new and old CPU. Nvidia's 1000 series are extremely good... but why pay that much when a 480 from AMD can do just as good at 1080p gaming? not everyone has a 4k monitor ya know... /rant

If you really want some serious cpu power for your photo business just go on ebay and get a hp z820 and put dual e5-2670's in it. Add your 1080, and you can be in the same price range except you'll have 16 core/32 threads of sandybridge dankness

I have 3 monitors...27" 1920 - 34" 2560 - 27" 1920...last time I checked only Radeon supports mixed res, NVDIA requires 3 1920's etc.

I am on a 27" 1440p 144hz, 1080p 144hz, and 1080p 60hz display on one 980ti right now. I have never heard of anyone not being able to have multiple resolutions before.

I am on a 27" 1440p 144hz, 1080p 144hz, and 1080p 60hz display on one 980ti right now. I have never heard of anyone not being able to have multiple resolutions before.

I'm talking in NVIDIA Surround or whatever its called. In Radeon Eyefinity I can run a 6400x1080 resolution all on native res without scaling with bezel correction and all that jazz...can NVIDIA do that now?

No comment on the CPU as I'm biased against AMD due to the derpfest that was the bulldozer chip.

If you don't mind a case without a window the Fractal Design cases are awesome and their full towers are $30 under what you want to spent

Link: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352029&cm_re=fractal_designs_full_tower-_-11-352-029-_-Product

Amd isnt "back baby" they pull this shit every time a new lineup is released.

What shit? The only shit they have pulled it releasing a CPU that does the same thing Intel chips do at half the price. AMD is (factually) the best place to go if you are on a budget and gaming at 1080p. Their newer CPU and GPU are reliable​ and a great bang for the buck...

So please tell me what Shit they are pulling good sir.

What shit? The only shit they have pulled it releasing a CPU that does the same thing Intel chips do at half the price. AMD is (factually) the best place to go if you are on a budget and gaming at 1080p. Their newer CPU and GPU are reliable​ and a great bang for the buck...

So please tell me what Shit they are pulling good sir.

Shit that lands them in a class action lawsuit over false advertising

$329 for a 1700

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113428

$219 for an i5 6600k

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Skylake-Desktop-Processor-BX80662I56600K/dp/B012M8M7TY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489356792&sr=1-2&keywords=LGA+1151+i5

With only a goal of "1080p gaming" it is pointless to drop $110 on a 1700 when the i5 will do the same, if not more with more competition on the MoBo side (I.E. lower prices, better features)

This is the shit they pull, borderline false advertising to get units sold

https://www.neowin.net/news/amd-face-lawsuit-after-falsely-advertsing-the-number-of-cores-in-their-chips

My FX6300 was nowhere near where it should have been on CPUMark, well below half. I trashed it the next day and have not had problem 1 with Intel.

Shit that lands them in a class action lawsuit over false advertising

$329 for a 1700

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113428

$219 for an i5 6600k

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Skylake-Desktop-Processor-BX80662I56600K/dp/B012M8M7TY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489356792&sr=1-2&keywords=LGA+1151+i5

With only a goal of "1080p gaming" it is pointless to drop $110 on a 1700 when the i5 will do the same, if not more with more competition on the MoBo side (I.E. lower prices, better features)

This is the shit they pull, borderline false advertising to get units sold

https://www.neowin.net/news/amd-face-lawsuit-after-falsely-advertsing-the-number-of-cores-in-their-chips

My FX6300 was nowhere near where it should have been on CPUMark, well below half. I trashed it the next day and have not had problem 1 with Intel.

But you are comparing the wrong CPU to the 1700 chip from AMD... they were never competing with the i5 6000 series of chips. AMD was competing with the 8 core CPU that Intel currently has in their i7 lineup. Ryzen from the beginning was trying to compete with the overpriced i7 chips that are maybe 5% better then last years chips... WOW! thats some shit Intel pulls...

The Ryzen chips (from all the reviews i'v seen) beat Intel at everything they said they focused on. 8 core budget monsters is what these processors are and they are an extremely compelling choice for someone (once again) who is on a budget and wants to edit video, stream gaming, or work in Auto CAD.

1080p gaming is an EXTREMELY smart place to be focusing on for AMD. Why the hell would someone buy an i5 processor when you can get a FX 6300 and a 380 Strix in a build for under $400. Crazy right? I built Ashley's system for her when she graduated and stuck with a budget of $400 with all AMD parts and the system gets 80+ FPS in just about every game you throw at it...at 1080p... Not everyone has 4k monitors and the market AMD is focusing on is extremely important. Intel chips (for the most part) are better then AMD in benchmark tests, but it is the "price per performance" value where AMD wins everytime.

Go AMD.

Rage at Ponytail when you get constant errors and under-performance.

I understand you have had a bad experience and both sides make a compelling argument to be the best at "something" but the guy sounds like he is on a budget and that is really all I am trying to defend. I am running 3 systems almost 24/7 with an FX-6300, A8, and an FX-8350 and have had zero problems with them in gaming, streaming, or anything.

1080p lol what is this 2010

I mean, 4k monitors still command a premium in price these days... many gamers (43.3% according to steam's hardware survey) play games at 1080p, followed by 1366x768 at 24%... 4K just is not there yet man.