Ryzen 1700 CPU Build. Opinions? Advice?

944s2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I'm going to have to come over and try it because microcenter said they wont let me open monitors and bring my wheel in to try it out.

If your in Columbus it could be arranged. If your looking for sim racing setup its rather amazing however I kind wish I went with larger monitors than 27"

OP glad you got it all ordered.

when you are going to buy, make sure you shop around a bit and if you can go to microcenter. They have CPU prices lower than newegg and other stores plus they offer $30 discount when you buy it with a motherboard and some times $20 additional per each GPU/ Ram/ SSD. Microcenter will also pricematch alot of retailers inlcuding Amazon as long as its prime.

^^ This. I've built my photo/video system with them and they encouraged and helped me price match everything :p

My entire argument for AMD at this point can be summarized in this little TL;DR...

1. Intel CPU are better... if you don't care about "price per performance value"
  2. Intel CPU are better if you have the money to spend
  3. AMD CPU are better in the "price per performance value"
  4. AMD focused on "multi-core" performance over single core performance of Intel.
  5. AMD's FX line is a compelling choice for someone gaming on a budget
  6. AMD's Ryzen is compelling choice for someone rendering, streaming, etc. on a budget

A little late to the game, I know, but pretty much this. The first computer I bought for myself was a i686. That lasted me about three years. The next rig I built myself using an Athlon XP. The build after that had an XP+. Not once did I ever have any sort of compatibility problem, and it really comes down to just one thing... letting others rush ahead to find the bugs for you. Sit back, wait a couple of months, or even an entire platform generation, and it'll all work out. My current build is an i3 (because I expected wifey to use it a lot longer than she did, but she decided a laptop better suited her needs, so I slapped an M.2 and GTX 960 in it), but honestly, the next build will probably be a Ryzen or its successor. EVE doesn't require stupid frame rates (anything beyond 60fps is wasted on slow human biology), and I the added cores are godsends when doing testing in virtual machines or CFD simulations.