Ryzen 1700 CPU Build. Opinions? Advice?

944s2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why all the AMD hate? the Ryzen chips did exactly what they said they would do. They took on Intel at their high priced chips and made something that was competitive... Yes, Intel does have some chips that do things better then Ryzen, but it depends on what you are comparing them to. right now AMD is smart to focus on the budget systems. Their "bang for the buck" philosophy has been earning them business for the past few years... can't really say the same for Intel with their CPUs... factually speaking there is no need to upgrade from Skylake because there is virtually no difference between their new and old CPU. Nvidia's 1000 series are extremely good... but why pay that much when a 480 from AMD can do just as good at 1080p gaming? not everyone has a 4k monitor ya know... /rant

Yes, It is aimed at the X99 platform which is due for replacement in the the next few months because, you know its been around for almost 3 years now. Yes it goes toe to toe with the 6900k which is over the 1k mark BUT with the 6900k you dont have any bios issues. Ask anyone with hands on ryzen experience and they well tell you the bios is all junk. Want to know why the reviews are all decent for the ryzen? because AMD sent out review bundles which were all the 1800x, ASUS motherboard and Corsair ram. AMD hand picked products that they knew would do well together. Beat on the AMD price savings all you want, ill keep my reliability. AMD is like the rotary engine, terrible execution and yet still has a cult following.

I had a 1700x pre ordered but for my needs I didn't want to mess with the bios crapping out and for gaming Ryzen is a joke. Look at all the reviews out now with the ryzen/1080 ti vs the much lower end 7700k/1080 ti. Ryzen is not a gaming chipset, it can do it but the intel market is far superior. Ryzen only comes into play when needing the multicore side of things and even then its not much better altough the price difference makes up for it.

Yes, It is aimed at the X99 platform which is due for replacement in the the next few months because, you know its been around for almost 3 years now. Yes it goes toe to toe with the 6900k which is over the 1k mark BUT with the 6900k you dont have any bios issues. Ask anyone with hands on ryzen experience and they well tell you the bios is all junk. Want to know why the reviews are all decent for the ryzen? because AMD sent out review bundles which were all the 1800x, ASUS motherboard and Corsair ram. AMD hand picked products that they knew would do well together. Beat on the AMD price savings all you want, ill keep my reliability. AMD is like the rotary engine, terrible execution and yet still has a cult following.

I had a 1700x pre ordered but for my needs I didn't want to mess with the bios crapping out and for gaming Ryzen is a joke. Look at all the reviews out now with the ryzen/1080 ti vs the much lower end 7700k/1080 ti. Ryzen is not a gaming chipset, it can do it but the intel market is far superior. Ryzen only comes into play when needing the multicore side of things and even then its not much better altough the price difference makes up for it.

I completely disagree with the reliability side of this argument. Many of the issues with the BIOS are related to the manufacturers not doing something correct. AMD may or may not have picked parts that worked together because they knew that those manufacturers made things correctly. All the reviews i'v seen with working Ryzen CPU are with hardware that was available at the press event. I am not saying it is impossible, but these things happen with new CPU. Remember the whole Sandy Bridge thing with Intel? oh ya, it would randomly die. AMD has already responded to the issues with the BIOS and the manufacturers are working to correct the issue.

I am just extremely frustrated when people instantly say "LOL, LUL, AMD, LOLOLOLOL". You are 100% correct with the Ryzen CPU not being a "gaming" oriented CPU. Many games out there are just scratching the 4 core utilization, let alone a 6-8 core allocation. My FX-8350 only uses 3-4 cores when gaming. 6-8 core gaming just is not there yet, so the 16 (hyperthreading) cores of Ryzen mean little to nothing in gaming. The GTX 1080 argument is also a moot point because at the AMD press event they said on stage that "Today is a great day for professionals, content creators, and something else" nowhere was Ryzen ever hailed as a gaming CPU...because....well....its a CPU not a GPU...Hell, even the test benches at the event had GTX 1080 cards in them... but I feel we are getting off point once again...

My entire argument for AMD at this point can be summarized in this little TL;DR...

1. Intel CPU are better... if you don't care about "price per performance value"
  2. Intel CPU are better if you have the money to spend
  3. AMD CPU are better in the "price per performance value"
  4. AMD focused on "multi-core" performance over single core performance of Intel.
  5. AMD's FX line is a compelling choice for someone gaming on a budget
  6. AMD's Ryzen is compelling choice for someone rendering, streaming, etc. on a budget

My argument here is that when you look at the data from Steam's hardware survey you will see that the number of users using Intel and Nvidia products far outweigh the AMD users. I mean, its not even close in terms of the two sides... But, this can tell us a few things about the people gaming on Valve's platform. Now, it should be noted that I am focusing on ONE group of people but with 125 million users I feel it's safe to focus here for my point. Many gamers are (factually) playing games with an Nvidia GPU and an Intel CPU at a resolution of 1920x1080. This is fine and I will not sit here and tell you that anything Intel + Nvidia has to offer can be beat with an AMD combo. Hell, I traded in my 380 Strix for a GTX 970 FTW in about a year of ownership. My point here is that I understand that Intel + Nvidia is the superior choice ONLY if you have the money to shell out. if you are a gamer on a budget, "Team Red" is the logical choice at 1080p. Much of my argument is focused around the fact that a for under $1000 anyone can buy the parts, Windows 10, keyboard, mouse, and monitor and play games at ~60FPS.

It bugs me a lot when people write of AMD for lack of reliability and performance. Many of those issues can be fixed with proper updates and hardware paired correctly. I am running my FX-8350 on a 4.3 Ghz Stable overclock being cooled by an Corsair H105i and I have never had any issues at all. My FX-6300 in my Minecraft/media server is stable at 3.7 Ghz with a aftermarket air cooler. I have never had any reliability issues with my AMD CPU. Understand what you are buying and care for it properly and it will be just as reliable as anything else out there. Bottom line...

I'm not ignorant to the advantages one way or another, it's just that I have real world experience with both CPU and GPU and they are all great depending on the application you plan on using the pair with. for example, an AMD A8 chip paired with a Titan X would be terrible at everything and a waste of our time... My point is... budget and application all depend on what you should go with. No point in shelling out an additional $300-500 on components when staying within budget can net you maybe 90-95% of what that money could get you. is $300+ really worth an additional 12-18 FPS? as long as you are ~60 FPS in gaming what's the difference? the best 1080p solution on the market that hits 60 FPS at 1080p is factually an AMD combo and there is no getting around that. My entire stance on this debate revolves around "Price per performance value" and nothing more... If we compare ANY and ALL intel chips to AMD, then AMD will lose every time, but its much more then raw numbers in the real world. Not everyone has a bottomless budget sadly :(

Im not saying you are wrong but not 60 FPS at 1080 is doable on even on board chips. It does come down to pairing hardware with hardware. if you are using 1080, 60hz monitor you "only" need 60 FPS.

I feel really bad for people gaming at 60hz now. once you go 120+hz you never go back at all.

In fact I tried to play a Assetto corsa on my racing sim with my monitors at 60hz and holy crap it was terrible.

I get the price for performance aspect but it all depends on what you are doing. Gaming users will probably stay majority intel and high end users will see a slight shift to Ryzen but it will still be dominated by intel.

Im not saying you are wrong but not 60 FPS at 1080 is doable on even on board chips. It does come down to pairing hardware with hardware. if you are using 1080, 60hz monitor you "only" need 60 FPS.

I feel really bad for people gaming at 60hz now. once you go 120+hz you never go back at all.

In fact I tried to play a Assetto corsa on my racing sim with my monitors at 60hz and holy crap it was terrible.

I get the price for performance aspect but it all depends on what you are doing. Gaming users will probably stay majority intel and high end users will see a slight shift to Ryzen but it will still be dominated by intel.

eh... it's always such a muttled grey area for me. Being broke and never being able to afford epic parts I always focused my efforts on budget systems. After spending so much time around "budget" oriented parts you really squeeze the most you can out of them. No joke, last night I was messing around with my Thinkpad R52 with a GMA 950 tweaking Java to run Minecraft at over 30 FPS with graphics maxed out... jesus was that fun. Anyways... If I had the cash to blow or someone else was asking me, I always tell them to go with an i7 and a GTX 980/1080 when gaming. Monitors have a bright future ahead of them with 4k growing and growing. I just want to see that price go down a bit for me to adapt. I love my ultrawide, I really want to run dual 2560x1080 monitors eventually... but I will need a second GTX 970 to do that... ugh... the struggle is real! :lol:

Thanks for the responses. I currently have an Intel i7 chip and do love it but realized that this build needs to be for the editing photo side of things for realistically 70ish percent of what I want to build it for.

It will be really nice to see what that gaming side of it can do (as I have a playseat and g25 setup) with some of the new racing games. It has honestly been 14 years since I have played a FPS on pc hardcore. (Think quake 123, Counter Strike etc.)

I do most of my gaming on my xbone.

Is $1500 really a "budget" system nowadays?

Anyone have any input on this? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119306&ignorebbr=1

Realizing I probably don't need a full case.

Master Case 5 pro... seems like a good deal at $99. I do want good cooling.

2560x1080 at 200hz trumps 4k everyday.

Triple 1440p at 144hz FTW. 7680x1440 total resolution all running at 144hz... MMMM so damn good.

as far as the OP, if you are doing 70-80 percent work then do the Ryzen since it will probably make extra use of the cores.

$1500 I would consider mid tier build not exactly budget. I built my brothers PC on $500 which was budget.

No experience on that case at all. Ive pretty much only focused on cases that easily fit radiators. Im on a huge Caselabs kick right now and honestly wouldn't go back to another case even though the CL cases are high end.

when you are going to buy, make sure you shop around a bit and if you can go to microcenter. They have CPU prices lower than newegg and other stores plus they offer $30 discount when you buy it with a motherboard and some times $20 additional per each GPU/ Ram/ SSD. Microcenter will also pricematch alot of retailers inlcuding Amazon as long as its prime.

Is $1500 really a "budget" system nowadays?

Anyone have any input on this? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119306&ignorebbr=1

Realizing I probably don't need a full case.

Master Case 5 pro... seems like a good deal at $99. I do want good cooling.

$1500 is not a budget system, though normally people will associate AMD builds with "budget" constraints in mind. I would not dig to deep into the past few comments. As I stated, it infuriates me when people write off AMD CPU/GPU for "reliability" or for "lack of power" without considering the two different markets each manufacturer associates itself with. With the release of Ryzen things should get shaken up in the high end i7 market once they fix the stability issues which should take no time at all.

*breath*

This is "opinionated" but, I have never liked CoolMaster's high end cases. There is this $30 case (This one) from them that I always buy at Microcenter when people need me to build simple office computers for their homes. the construction is cheap, the build quality is meh, and im not a fan of the design, but it does the job when you are given $300 to build a PC. It is because of this that I personally just see cheap design in all their cases... I just can't appreciate the design. If you want something similar to that case I would recommend the following.

1. NZXT S340 (Here) - This is my current case and I am extremely happy with it. great cable management and room for a 240mm radiator. The center bar can be removed if needed to house more fans. Comes in many different colors if you are into that sort of thing.

2. NZXT H440 (Here) - The big brother to the S340, I have seen this case in person and it is very sharp looking. Plenty of space for drives and expansion. Great cable management as well. I have had my eye on maybe getting one in the next few months.

3. InWin 303 (Here) - This case is ALWAYS in display at MicroCenter and I really like the looks of it. I am a fan of the glass look manufactures are going for these days because it allows you to show off your sexy build. Build quality from what I read is good, but I have never worked in this case before so I am not sure of the limitations. I am recommending this ONLY off its looks.

Triple 1440p at 144hz FTW. 7680x1440 total resolution all running at 144hz... MMMM so damn good.

Looks like I'm going to have to come over and try it because microcenter said they wont let me open monitors and bring my wheel in to try it out.

Looks like I'm going to have to come over and try it because microcenter said they wont let me open monitors and bring my wheel in to try it out.

I will soon have 5120 x 1080... Dual ultrawide. Once the tax return comes in i'm going to try and order another LG ultrawide. I <3 my monitor :)

play nice now.... AMD is back baby!!!

A case you say?

well, go with the InWin 303. I have seen many people go with this case for their builds in the past few months and I have got to say it looks EXTREMELY good. Yea, i know it's not a full tower case, but this case comes with a nice window to show off the build and lots of RBG placement options.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108483

An honorable mention would be the S340 Elite. It's basically a regular S340 with a huge side window and a headset holder. I have an S340 as my case right now and I love it.

Best of luck with the build! =)

Back to the fucking task at hand, instead of a bunch of cunts having an Intel vs AMD discussion, I really like InWin, and just purchased a 707 Full Tower case. Similar but not identical to design to the 303, it's BIG, solid, with lots of cooling configurability. I only run a H80i CPU cooler but it would be very easy to add other radiators with how much space this monster has.

https://www.inwin-style.com/en/gaming-chassis/707

My personal favorite part of this is the single fan mount on the non-windowed side and the very clean appearance of the front. Cable management is very easy and overall it's my cleanest looking rig I've built, and I'm a messy sonuvabitch.

Back to the fucking task at hand, instead of a bunch of cunts having an Intel vs AMD discussion, I really like InWin, and just purchased a 707 Full Tower case. Similar but not identical to design to the 303, it's BIG, solid, with lots of cooling configurability. I only run a H80i CPU cooler but it would be very easy to add other radiators with how much space this monster has.

https://www.inwin-style.com/en/gaming-chassis/707

My personal favorite part of this is the single fan mount on the non-windowed side and the very clean appearance of the front. Cable management is very easy and overall it's my cleanest looking rig I've built, and I'm a messy sonuvabitch.

Thanks! That IS sexy looking.

Side note:

If you are complaining about always being broke but you're going to spend your tax return on useless shit, you're doing finances wrong.

That's an extremely low blow coming from you... I expected more from you. :thumbdown

Thanks! That IS sexy looking.

IMO InWin and NZXT provide excellent value for cases. They balance design, build quality, and cost in a way that makes sense to me. My last tower was a NZXT mid-tower that I really liked but there was a design element that I really didn't like, but it was a personal preference.

Interested to see how your build goes, you should post pics when you get it all together. I've caused some sort of error in windows that has been BSODing my life to hell and back and for some reason I can't revert back to an older build. Can't figure out if it's a mobo memory failure or just a bad windows install. thinking of upgrading to an M.2 SSD w/Win10 Pro to start fresh.

IMO InWin and NZXT provide excellent value for cases. They balance design, build quality, and cost in a way that makes sense to me. My last tower was a NZXT mid-tower that I really liked but there was a design element that I really didn't like, but it was a personal preference.

Interested to see how your build goes, you should post pics when you get it all together. I've caused some sort of error in windows that has been BSODing my life to hell and back and for some reason I can't revert back to an older build. Can't figure out if it's a mobo memory failure or just a bad windows install. thinking of upgrading to an M.2 SSD w/Win10 Pro to start fresh.

I almost feel we should have a thread for talking and posting pictures of computers since it seems we have a decent amount of people building.

If its been a while, a re install isnt a bad idea. m.2 is awesome as far as speed is concerned, I have had issues with booting from a M.2 PCI 3.0 drive on a few different motherboards and few different SSDs. Standard m.2 I never had any issues booting direct however.

That's an extremely low blow coming from you... I expected more from you. :thumbdown

You said it in here

"If I wasn't broke all the time"

"When I get my tax return I'm gonna spend it on ______ item"

http://i.imgur.com/K7bZd47.png

Could a moderator please delete Sammy's posts from this thread? I am also willing to ask that the AMD/Intel Threads can be deleted. Lets keep this discussion on topic please.

Sammy the fail troll... very disappointed in you

Could a moderator please delete Sammy's posts from this thread? I am also willing to ask that the AMD/Intel Threads can be deleted. Lets keep this discussion on topic please.

Sammy the fail troll... very disappointed in you

2nded.

nothing against the users involved but an AMD/Intel discussion needs it's own thread.

2nded.

nothing against the users involved but an AMD/Intel discussion needs it's own thread.

Although some great advice was given for the cpu/mother board combo at microcenter I went ahead and did new egg for the cpu,gpu,ssd and case.(Tax free and no shipping was nice and probably saved me more than 30 anyway, plus they had some great deals) Nvidia 1080 for $499 16gigs Corsair Vengence for $99 and the case was $99 ( I went with the master case 5 pro). The real issue I am having right now is dealing with what MB I am gonna get. I want the asus x370 prime pro but I guess they are having a ton of bios issues as stated above. If you get a good one updated to the proper 0504 bios or even 0502 your gold though it sounds like.