Android Auto

Richard Cranium

Since I picked up the new (to me) Avalanche, I'm in the market to put a double din touch screen head unit in. I'm not an audiophile, so I don't particularly care about driving a big thump thump system. I would like to have a backup cam, and then something to take the nav functionality from my phone and put it on a screen on the dash. Making hands free calls and texts, the usual stuff.

Does anybody have any input on the android head units? I am under the assumption that a stereo that runs android as it's operating system would provide the best integration with my phone/google maps/etc... I'm not interested in anything that would come with it's own cell plan, so using data from my phone, or Wifi when parked close enough to the house would be awesome.

My '16 Impala doesn't recognize my phone as a USB media device even while using the Android Auto app. It's got a buncha Apple shit on the screen though.. None of this is relevant to your situation, but that's my experience with the app.

From what I've seen the Pioneer AVIC NEX systems look pretty good... Really expensive though for the one with a Capacitive touch screen...

Yeah, $800 is a little rich for my blood. I'm really just looking for something that will allow a backup camera and make it easier to use my phone for hands free and nav. I guess I was hoping to find something in the $300-$400 range. I know that's low, but after buying the truck and the other mods I want to do, plus a rebuild of the racecar motor and trans ...

I saw a couple people using 7 - 8 inch tablets and just hanging it off the dash with a special hardware and a stuff like amplifier. The article below was the one I was thinking about (Both my cars are both single DIN and cannot).

http://www.androidauthority.com/tablet-car-dash-install-631519/

Not to be that guy.. but to be clear here... there is a difference between "Android Auto" and Android powered head units. "Android Auto" is not actual Android, more or less a watered down version of Android. I helped a few people here at work configure theirs in their new cars and I was not very impressed with the fact that the phone HAD to be connected via USB the entire time. The interface was very limited and seemed to lack the speed and snappy response of the android phone. Contacts and texts seemed to load slow for the two units I messed around with. (Buick and a Chevy)

As for Android powered head units, I had no clue on whats good or bad. I remember a thread a while back where I made a few suggestions based off some reviews. I would honestly recommend getting a 2-din android unit off Amazon to try out. Many of them don't have Google Play Store enabled which is why they are so cheap and you lose all Google app support and store downloads. I have never had to do it myself, but my understanding is that devices like that can have the Play Store enabled somehow, but I don't know the process.

Best of luck! Hope this helps.

Why couldn't you just use two Samsung units (Say Galaxy S7 and a Galaxy Tab E). Then you could still Bluetooth to the car (Audio) and use NFC to mirror the phone screen? Makes it simple if you have a Bluetooth advanced (You need advanced to do phone and audio) radio.

No Auto options, but still gives you maps and full vid/audio??

Not to be that guy.. but to be clear here... there is a difference between "Android Auto" and Android powered head units. "Android Auto" is not actual Android, more or less a watered down version of Android. I helped a few people here at work configure theirs in their new cars and I was not very impressed with the fact that the phone HAD to be connected via USB the entire time. The interface was very limited and seemed to lack the speed and snappy response of the android phone. Contacts and texts seemed to load slow for the two units I messed around with. (Buick and a Chevy)

As for Android powered head units, I had no clue on whats good or bad. I remember a thread a while back where I made a few suggestions based off some reviews. I would honestly recommend getting a 2-din android unit off Amazon to try out. Many of them don't have Google Play Store enabled which is why they are so cheap and you lose all Google app support and store downloads. I have never had to do it myself, but my understanding is that devices like that can have the Play Store enabled somehow, but I don't know the process.

Best of luck! Hope this helps.

No, you're not being "that guy". I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, so I appreciate the clarification. I've not had the opportunity to work with either, so I appreciate the feedback on the Android Auto units. I've been looking at units on Amazon and the feedback on the pure android ones is all over the place. Since I am a technology guy I probably have a little higher tolerance for imperfections in first generation tech than some. I may just take a stab in the dark and try one of them out.

I feel like what I'm looking for is the equivalent of a giant smart watch that integrates with the cars audio system and has a radio and/or DVD built in. The truck is in very good condition and I would prefer whatever my choice to be a clean install that looks factory.

I have a double din Joying Android HU (Android 5) in my BRZ. Works pretty well for $250 bucks. Look them up on Amazon and Youtube for highlights. Feel free to PM with specific questions.

This is roughly the unit I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Capacitive-Bluetooth-Mirrorlink-Aftermarket-Navigation/dp/B01EG4S20K

No, you're not being "that guy". I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, so I appreciate the clarification.

Sure thing, happy to help :)

I hope you get what you are looking for man. I have tossed and turned with the idea of adding a system like that in my car, but I never liked the aftermarket 2-DIN holders for my car enough to mutilate my dash, haha.

Best of luck in your search!

I have a double din Joying Android HU (Android 5) in my BRZ. Works pretty well for $250 bucks. Look them up on Amazon and Youtube for highlights. Feel free to PM with specific questions.

This is roughly the unit I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Capacitive-Bluetooth-Mirrorlink-Aftermarket-Navigation/dp/B01EG4S20K

Cool, That's the feedback I'm looking for. The ratings on Amazon for that one is a little troubling (14% 1 star reviews). Glad to hear it's working well for you.

I have a 10.2 Android head unit in the Evo...All Android based. It's frigging awesome.

https://eliteevolved.com/products/mandroid

The look of that universal one on their site is great. I need to sort out exactly what size I can fit in my dash. What is the boot time like? I'm reading that the first boot takes 30ish seconds, but after that it's more like 2 or 3.