Sedona Arizona

BStowers023

Just got back from an awesome long weekend out in Arizona. If you've never been out to the Sedona area and are into outdoor stuff, this is an awesome place to go and it's not overly expensive if you can find a reasonable flight. The food and alcohol prices are quite pricey in Sedona though and the city pretty much dies after 9pm which is good and bad. We stayed busy the 4 days we were out there with almost no down time and still didn't get to see a few things we had planned on seeing being so short on time. Here are some pictures taken with a potato (iPhone).

Our first day we went on "The Pink Jeep Tour" which is about a 2 hour off-road tour through the red rocks on the west side of Sedona. Some awesome views and trails for any off-road enthusiast. You can also rent side by sides, 4 wheelers or Jeeps and go out there yourself which is probably what I'll do next time.

http://i.imgur.com/3WfTrB6.jpg?1

Day 2 we went to the Grand Canyon. Something that was on my bucket list. It's crazy how big it is in person. The pictures don't do it justice. I was actually surprised how you could just walk to the edge and fall off if you weren't careful. I guess up to 12 people die each year on average out there which isn't surprising after being there.

http://i.imgur.com/L8ttZV1.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/UKOrqRs.jpg?1

Day 3 we went hiking up Cathedral Rock. Following the longer trail to the vertical hike took about 2 hours up and an hour and a half down. I didn't realize how out of shape I was. This was a fairly tough hike and definitely required some skill, endurance and strength to scale up to the top. This was probably the coolest thing we did over the weekend.

http://i.imgur.com/U0hx9FF.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/Kqy6pzD.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/AHWp8eq.jpg?1

Here's a picture of downtown Sedona a little after sunset. I guess the views at Sunset from "Airport Landing" are pretty epic, although we missed it by about 45 minutes :(

http://i.imgur.com/ZKtRl1y.jpg?1

Here's a pic on our way up to the Grand Canyon near Flagstaff. It's crazy how it can be 90 degrees but because the elevation on the mountains, they were still snow-capped.

http://i.imgur.com/BS7lgpe.jpg?1

The drive out there and around the Sedona area is incredible. I didn't really get any good pictures of the roads but they are honestly some of the best views and winding roads in the country. We had a convertible 2017 Camaro SS as our rental which made it even better. If you do take a trip out, definitely get a convertible. The views are epic with the top down.

http://i.imgur.com/7DMYi6Y.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/FkCpXhe.jpg

Seeing the Grand Canyon in person is def on my list of places to go visit.

+1.

I stayed at Troon in Scottsdale a couple of years ago for a few days and while the resort was nice, the terrain was amazing. I can't even imagine Sedona and GC, where the vistas are another 10x more impressive.

I love the water and will take my hot temps in FL, but AZ/UT/CO have some amazing places that need to be visited.

Thanks for the pics and story. Glad you had such a great time! Looked like a lot of fun.

Love that place to visit, some really weird folks live there. I could live in Oak Creek though.

Yeah there definitely are. We stayed at an Airbnb in Cottonwood and the house manager woman was a big time hippie spirit lady. She tried to "educate" us on rejuvenating our bodies. The wifi in the house was turned off from 11pm-7am because of the radiation from the signals and our bodies needed to rest properly. She got offended by the fact that I said I drank Vitamin Water after our hike for elocrolytes after she asked if she had spoken with us about hydration. Definitely an interesting place that's for sure. I don't think I could live there, but definitely a cool place to visit.

Cathedral Rock is tame compared to Wilson Mountain trail and Bear mountain.

You went when the weather is perfect if you tried climbing Cathedral during the summer the bottoms of your shoes would melt... literally.

If you go back check out Slide Rock and Devils Bridge.

Cathedral Rock is tame compared to Wilson Mountain trail and Bear mountain.

You went when the weather is perfect if you tried climbing Cathedral during the summer the bottoms of your shoes would melt... literally.

If you go back check out Slide Rock and Devils Bridge.

Yeah I bet. I don't think I'd want to do anything more difficult or longer without some more experience.

I wanted to check out Devils Bridge but we ran out of time. Next time I go I wanna chec out Antelope Canyon and Havasu Falls too.

Yeah I bet. I don't think I'd want to do anything more difficult or longer without some more experience.

I wanted to check out Devils Bridge but we ran out of time. Next time I go I wanna chec out Antelope Canyon and Havasu Falls too.

For Antelope and Havasu you need permits ahead of time so just keep that in mind. You can get them online.

I guess it's been a bit since I was through there ....... my pics were all shot with Kodachrome 25. :o

But Kodacrhome - they give us those nice bright colors, they give us the greens of summers, makes you think all the world's a sunny day...

Nice pics and beautiful country. Did you stay the whole time in Sedona and day trip out to the GC or switch hotels and stay out at the canyon?

I haven't been there in 15 years or so. Family was just telling me how commercialized Sedona was getting :(

Yeah it's hippy-dippy-crystal-tastic for sure

It didn't seem too commercialized to me, although this was my first time there. But it was definitely hippy central.

For Antelope and Havasu you need permits ahead of time so just keep that in mind. You can get them online.

Yeah we found that out but luckily before we decided to make the 4-5 hour drive to either of them. Antelope Canyon is #1 on my list next time. The pictures of it look incredible and I'm sure they don't do it justice.

But Kodacrhome - they give us those nice bright colors, they give us the greens of summers, makes you think all the world's a sunny day...

Nice pics and beautiful country. Did you stay the whole time in Sedona and day trip out to the GC or switch hotels and stay out at the canyon?

We stayed about 25 minutes outside of Sedona in Cottonwood. We just took a day trip out to the Grand Canyon. We left at about 7am and got there about 9:30 and spent about 3 hours there exploring. We hung out in Scottsdale the day of our flight back. Sedona is awesome but I could never live there but would be cool to live somewhere close like Scottsdale where I could take a weekend or even day trip out there to do some nice hiking or exploring.

Pictures are awesome.

I wanted to travel west again this year but my wife wanted to go up to Maine and New Hampshire instead.

I always recommend renting ATV's or SXS's when site seeing. Its been well worth the expense imo. We rented them in Mexico, Lake Tahoe, Michigan and will be riding in NH in July.

And you didn't even stop by and say hi..... :)

AZ is amazing, been out here 5 years now and genuinely love it and I haven't even seen half the state yet. Looks like you had a good time and the timing was perfect as the weather is just heaven still even here in the Valley. Next time you hit the Grand Canyon hit up the helicopter flights, I did that last fall and it was worth every penny.

Pictures are awesome.

I wanted to travel west again this year but my wife wanted to go up to Maine and New Hampshire instead.

I always recommend renting ATV's or SXS's when site seeing. Its been well worth the expense imo. We rented them in Mexico, Lake Tahoe, Michigan and will be riding in NH in July.

Yeah regardless of rental car next time I plan to rent a Polaris or something for a half a day or a day instead of doing the Pink Jeep Tour

And you didn't even stop by and say hi..... :)

AZ is amazing, been out here 5 years now and genuinely love it and I haven't even seen half the state yet. Looks like you had a good time and the timing was perfect as the weather is just heaven still even here in the Valley. Next time you hit the Grand Canyon hit up the helicopter flights, I did that last fall and it was worth every penny.

Next time for sure! We didn't visit Glendale but did explore Scottsdale a little bit. I could definitely see myself living there

If you're 50+ years old you'll fit in just fine in Fountain Hills.

Luckily I'm moving there to retire at the ripe age of 32-35.

Really though, is it that bad? The real estate there is highly affordable (I've been looking at some ridiculous houses for 500k or so) and the property taxes are like $3500.

Is it close to anything good?

It's primarily a retirement area. There are still plenty off families too, it's a gorgeous town thats just far enough out on the edge of town but not too far. Always 10 degrees cooler there. It's pretty quiet there so if you crave some nightlife you'll need to head into Scottsdale at least.

I was surprised at my friends place he picked up for about $450k, hell of a nice house. It's really well kept and such. AZ property taxes are quite good in general.