Redoing kitchen, lots-o-questions; doors, plumbing, cabinets, countertops

Trouble Maker

Doors

We are putting in a french door in the back. Does anyone make a fiberglass french door w/9 lite prairie style simulated lite? Front door is original to the house and is this style and we'd like to match it. I've only been able to find a wood door, or wood clad interior in this style. That makes the price jump from $1-2k to $4k+ I'd probably say screw it and get the $4k door if that's all we were doing, but with us also doing the whole project right now I'm trying to be reasonable on price on all things so we don't get major price creep on the final cost.

Plumbing, venting.

Can I do an AAV (auto admittance vent) in my situation? The kitchen drain connects into the main drain in the basement right before it leaves the house. This same line goes over to the bathroom and the bathroom has a pretty big vent stack going out of the roof. I need to measure it to get the actual size. We are also getting a new roof put in due to some leaks and would like to put the least amount of holes up there as possible. If I can do an AAV for the sink/dishwasher and do the vent hood out of the side of the house, that's 2 less possible water ingress points which should make for a more reliable roof. It will also make the install a bit easier.

Cabinets

I have no idea what I'm doing here. Where to go, what to look for. The only thing I think I really want is all 'real' wood; I don't want basically any kind of particle board.

We are bound by almost no measurements. All of our cabinets are 'free' on 1 side meaning they are only up against a wall on 1 side, so no custom sized cabinets. Kitchen is gutted down to the studs and I'll be moving plumbing and full rewiring so we aren't bound by appliance location other than our preferences. We went to a cabinet place and said 'this is what we wanted and she wanted blue prints and was making it way more difficult than what it should be given our situation.

Countertops

What does everyone like? My preference would be for something durable and little to no maintenance.

Are you planning to DIY? If not, I have a great contractor to recommend. Harold Davis, Creative Services LTD.

Dude was a graphic designer before he started contracting, so he has the unique ability to put what goes on in his head to paper, then put that to practice. I'm in a networking group with him and everyone that hires him raves about him.

Doors

Cabinets

I have no idea what I'm doing here. Where to go, what to look for. The only thing I think I really want is all 'real' wood; I don't want basically any kind of particle board.

We're in the process of a full first floor remodel including a huge new kitchen and honestly we are having custom made cabinets. Schaad and Sons, is over in McConnell and is in-line with pricing vs higher end solid wood units sold. We're using Solid Maple with Nickel hardware and German mechanicals such as soft close doors and drawers. The lazy Susan and vertical pantry stuff is top-shelf cool shit too. I can hang on the vertical roll-outs they are so strong. Give them a call as they can make whatever you design. Much of ours is custom to what the wife and I wanted in terms of style and layout. 740-236-1795. Ours are being installed Tuesday if you're interested in stopping by to see them.

We are bound by almost no measurements. All of our cabinets are 'free' on 1 side meaning they are only up against a wall on 1 side, so no custom sized cabinets.

Ours new area is / was brand new so we had no constraints but chose Schadd for their quality and craftsmanship. Good luck. They may be overkill if you're looking for basic stuff, but after looking at the off-the-shelf stuff we chose to pass and go with exactly what and how we wanted things.

Countertops

What does everyone like? My preference would be for something durable and little to no maintenance.

We chose black granite and white/gray quartz. Both are pretty darn durable and require low maintenance. IIRC quartz is more durable and it's what is on our island and the bar stool area as it's our main working space. It's pricey though at like $80-90 sq. ft. Granite is about half that.

Cabinets and counter tops are key factors in resale so my advice is don't skimp. They also take a lot of use and abuse so it's great to have something that can endure.

We had our previous kitchen and our current laundry room done with 6Square cabinets. If you want solid wood, standard sizes, and find a style you like, they were reasonably priced and we have been happy with them.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Are you planning to DIY? If not, I have a great contractor to recommend. Harold Davis, Creative Services LTD.

We are DYIing maybe half. We do already have one for the parts we are essentially subcontracting. They are working out well so far, but if we hit any snags and decide to go a different direction, I will contact him. Thanks!

Ours new area is / was brand new so we had no constraints but chose Schadd for their quality and craftsmanship. Good luck. They may be overkill if you're looking for basic stuff, but after looking at the off-the-shelf stuff we chose to pass and go with exactly what and how we wanted things.

We aren’t looking for anything ‘fancy’ as far as features. We’d actually prefer mostly just ‘normal’ cabinets. We do want high quality built cabinets. I agree, it’s important to the quality and life of the cabinets. This is our forever house and we want to do this right the first time and not have to replace them soon. However, we do have a budget to (try to) stick to!

Do you mind me asking about how much/ft or cabinet or something you paid? PM is perfectly ok. After doing some basic research online about price, range, etc. we put a place holder in our budget of $300/linear ft.

We chose black granite and white/gray quartz. Both are pretty darn durable and require low maintenance. IIRC quartz is more durable and it's what is on our island and the bar stool area as it's our main working space. It's pricey though at like $80-90 sq. ft. Granite is about half that.

We were leaning towards Quartz from everything we have been reading. Again, just a place holder based on online research, but we budgeted $150/sq ft installed. Seems like that should be close.

We had our previous kitchen and our current laundry room done with 6Square cabinets. If you want solid wood, standard sizes, and find a style you like, they were reasonably priced and we have been happy with them.

Checked them out online, looks good! Just have to see if there are any showrooms in the Columbus area.

We aren’t looking for anything ‘fancy’ as far as features. We’d actually prefer mostly just ‘normal’ cabinets. We do want high quality built cabinets. I agree, it’s important to the quality and life of the cabinets. This is our forever house and we want to do this right the first time and not have to replace them soon. However, we do have a budget to (try to) stick to!

Do you mind me asking about how much/ft or cabinet or something you paid? PM is perfectly ok. After doing some basic research online about price, range, etc. we put a place holder in our budget of $300/linear ft.

We paid about $650 per linear foot if I'm calculating that out correctly. Call me dumb. We have 21 ft on the back wall, 15ft on the side and an Island that is 3ft x 9ft. Full custom is pricey for sure but it enabled us to get exactly what we were looking for especially in terms of how they were made and finished and the glass work they entail.

We were leaning towards Quartz from everything we have been reading. Again, just a place holder based on online research, but we budgeted $150/sq ft installed. Seems like that should be close.
You'll be pleased. We chose it for the top of our Island as that's going to be my wife's main "working place" when cooking and preparing food. Quartz doesn't require sealing, won't stain and is the most easily cleaned and safe in terms of germs, etc. We are also using the same Quartz in our powder room to tie together the design.

Also, FWIW, we had a great experience at Jack's Appliances in Hilliard. Great prices right out of the gate and they carry all the major brands. We did Wolf Ovens and Kitchen Aid Pro Series for the Refrigerator and Dishwasher.