Home Improvement websites/info

The_buster

We are getting ready to purchase a house that needs some minor updates and changes. The biggest being a tub installed and the stand-up shower removed. I've googled and everything tries to point me to stupid pinterest. Anyone have any good diy websites they know of? Or just basic general info on making a tub frame that we would like to incorporate some storage into.

The list of things that need done are:

Tub

New tile on kitchen floor- were cheating and using stick on.

painting

remove carpet in hallway and replace with ? -still deciding on either tile, linoleum, or some easy form of hardwood flooring.

Privacy fence around the backyard probably be next summers project.

One we get our house move in ready I get the fun job of tearing up and redoing the MIL kitchen floor and possibly changing the cabinets out. So any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The important thing to know is when you're in over your head and need professional help. I've learned the hard way when to call in a pro and when I can do it myself. Sometimes the pro can get it done in half the time and at a similar cost because they don't screw up the job. I use Angie's List when I need to find someone and don't know where to start.

You might check with some of the local stores about inhouse classes on how to do the work you want to. I think the store is called Floor and Decor in Mill Run is where I've gotten a lot of my flooring supplies. I don't know if they will teach you how to do it, but it's worth looking into.

I guess in a pinch, do your search on Youtube instead of google.

We are getting ready to purchase a house that needs some minor updates and changes. The biggest being a tub installed and the stand-up shower removed. I've googled and everything tries to point me to stupid pinterest. Anyone have any good diy websites they know of? Or just basic general info on making a tub frame that we would like to incorporate some storage into.

The list of things that need done are:

Tub

New tile on kitchen floor- were cheating and using stick on.

painting

remove carpet in hallway and replace with ? -still deciding on either tile, linoleum, or some easy form of hardwood flooring.

Privacy fence around the backyard probably be next summers project.

One we get our house move in ready I get the fun job of tearing up and redoing the MIL kitchen floor and possibly changing the cabinets out. So any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

We use/used https://www.houzz.com/ for ideas and sharing. Pinterest is okay but too general.

Flooring wise, we needed something durable for two big dogs and their nails, etc. Kolay flooring is what we are going with. Awesome stuff. Interlocking design, waterproof, more durable than wood or even linoleum, isn't cold like tile and looks amazing. Easy install too.

Paint wise, just be sure to use a good primer and yes, top-shelf paint is worth it. Especially when it comes to durability and cleaning.

Good luck!

Youtube. There are a few good DIY forums online if you need answers to more in-depth stuff.

Your list seems pretty simple for the most part, even for a beginner. I'm sure you'll find a lot of good advice here on CR too.

Youtube. There are a few good DIY forums online if you need answers to more in-depth stuff.

Your list seems pretty simple for the most part, even for a beginner. I'm sure you'll find a lot of good advice here on CR too.

Pretty much this and what everyone else has said. My entire family were carpenters or mechanics, I can use a saw and a measuring tape and for everything else there is youtube. The flooring, tub and rest of that are all easy weekend projects. If you can read/watch youtube and use a measuring tape and basic tools you're all set.

Instead of replacing the cabinets you may want look at paiting the entire cabinet or just the doors, or even replacing the doors and hardware. Easy and quick way to update your cabinets a bit (unless they are seriously damaged). Replacing cabinets even yourself can get real expensive real quick.

Instead of replacing the cabinets you may want look at paiting the entire cabinet or just the doors, or even replacing the doors and hardware. Easy and quick way to update your cabinets a bit (unless they are seriously damaged). Replacing cabinets even yourself can get real expensive real quick.

The cabinet/sink setup is a corner design. The Father in law wants to move it over to under the window. They have had a leaking line under the floor so long that when you walk on the floor water squishes out of the floor. So that one is going to be fun.

Moving from Newark to Buckeye Lake. No pictures yet. I will make a "build thread' as we go. Currently waiting on previous tenants to finish moving out their items then the fun begins.

Buckeye Lake? Nice :cool: