Regular People, not actors...

HotCarl

This.

Oh look. Another hidden truck, that is underneath the last hidden truck, which is stuffed inside of the one before that.

The fucking Malibu commercial....

How much do you think this car sells for?

idk like probably 60 to 80 thousand!!!

It's the new Malibu starting at only 22,000!

**Price as shown 38,495

And the dumb fucking Cruze commercial. Both of them actually. "Describe in emojis what you think of the new Cruze" are you fucking serious?

And all the dumbass truck commercials where they drop concrete blocks from 10 feet high into a bed with no liner, to prove that the Ford bed is "weak" and their steel bed will hold up better when it's rusting away in 10 years. Or they have a guy pick between a steel or aluminum cage when a bear charges at them. For fuck's sake.

It's the new Malibu starting at only 22,000!

**Price as shown 38,495

who spends almost $40K on a malibu? I mean if it is one from the '60's with a big block and a 4 speed I can kind of see it, but a brand new malibu? Just to be sure I went on Chevy's configurator and selecting every option I was able to get the msrp to $37,490. That's high, and actually hard to do, I figure most will sell for right around $30K.

I forget where I saw it but I was reading recently that the malibu and the Taurus have something like a 35% depreciation in the first year. most cars have an average of about 15-20%, a car with "bad" depreciation has 25%. A Subaru Impreza has something like a 3% depreciation in the first year - it won't see 35% depreciation until like the 5th year of ownership. owning an American car these days is just a bad proposition all around.

I forget where I saw it but I was reading recently that the malibu and the Taurus have something like a 35% depreciation in the first year. most cars have an average of about 15-20%, a car with "bad" depreciation has 25%. A Subaru Impreza has something like a 3% depreciation in the first year - it won't see 35% depreciation until like the 5th year of ownership. owning an American car these days is just a bad proposition all around.

That's nuts. Why does it vary so greatly between manufacturers? Is it solely based off of reputation/perception?

That's nuts. Why does it vary so greatly between manufacturers? Is it solely based off of reputation/perception?

A lot of factors, but how common they are, perceived reputation, actual cost of ownership, etc...all factor in. One of the reasons luxury cars have higher depreciation than non-luxury cars is the cost of ownership, when even the oil changes on a bmw cost twice what they cost on a civic, fewer people want them.

Any car that is used heavily in a rental fleet (to the point when someone says rental car they think of x car) usually has a pretty high depreciation. People just don't like buying or driving rental cars.

I found this slideshow of the worst depreciating 2016 cars and although it doesn't mention the malibu, there are a lot of American cars on this list:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/cars-that-depreciate-fastest/#slide-4240866

I figured out where i saw the 35% number - it was on the malibu forums where some owners were trying to figure out the depreciation on their 2014 models.

A lot of factors, but how common they are, perceived reputation, actual cost of ownership, etc...all factor in. One of the reasons luxury cars have higher depreciation than non-luxury cars is the cost of ownership, when even the oil changes on a bmw cost twice what they cost on a civic, fewer people want them.

Any car that is used heavily in a rental fleet (to the point when someone says rental car they think of x car) usually has a pretty high depreciation. People just don't like buying or driving rental cars.

I found this slideshow of the worst depreciating 2016 cars and although it doesn't mention the malibu, there are a lot of American cars on this list:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/cars-that-depreciate-fastest/#slide-4240866

I figured out where i saw the 35% number - it was on the malibu forums where some owners were trying to figure out the depreciation on their 2014 models.

It is also impacted by new versions coming out - the Malibu was "all new" in 2016 so you are going to take a hit on your 2014 due to demand. The 2016+ Malibu is actually a really nice car - assuming you like a driving appliance.

There are few if any "good" financial decisions in buying a brand new car. From a financial perspective you lose buying new versus a few years old.

It is also impacted by new versions coming out - the Malibu was "all new" in 2016 so you are going to take a hit on your 2014 due to demand. The 2016+ Malibu is actually a really nice car - assuming you like a driving appliance.

There are few if any "good" financial decisions in buying a brand new car. From a financial perspective you lose buying new versus a few years old.

absolutely, but there are ways to minimize the damage. For example: Jeep Wranglers and Subarus have single digit first year depreciation and tend to loose less overall value over a 5 year life cycle. I think Wranglers lose something like $6K total over 5 years, which is pretty great compared to a ford explorer which loses roughly $11K in the same time span.

absolutely, but there are ways to minimize the damage. For example: Jeep Wranglers and Subarus have single digit first year depreciation and tend to loose less overall value over a 5 year life cycle. I think Wranglers lose something like $6K total over 5 years, which is pretty great compared to a ford explorer which loses roughly $11K in the same time span.

Yes you can limit the depreciation by buying high demand or limited supply vehicles. I always made out well on my F-bodies as they were all "unique" in some way - mostly due to being 6 speeds and in great shape.

Even the SS? :dumb:

All in jest. I'm not brand loyal truthfully. There are some I prefer more than others but every manufacturer makes good vehicles for a certain niche and every manufacturer makes complete garbage. Dems da fax.