Aircraft enforced speeding

88lx5oh

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other news, I was on the WV turnpike this weekend and a maroon car was going about 75 in front of me so I passed him about 80. As soon as I went around him, the lights came on. It was an undercover state trooper. He joked about me flying around him not knowing. It was a 60mph section and he let me off with a written warning. My lucky day.

In other news, I was on the WV turnpike this weekend and a maroon car was going about 75 in front of me so I passed him about 80. As soon as I went around him, the lights came on. It was an undercover state trooper. He joked about me flying around him not knowing. It was a 60mph section and he let me off with a written warning. My lucky day.

At least he wasn't a "Do as I say, Not as I do" type of cop. An 80 in a 60 would have sucked.

At least he wasn't a "Do as I say' date=' Not as I do" type of cop. An 80 in a 60 would have sucked.[/quote']

Yep. He didn't have to wait long to get another guy. We pulled back out onto the turnpike the same time and about 10 minutes later a new black Yukon Denali flew around us both. I'm guessing around 85-90mph. Undercover pulled him over. I have a feeling he didn't get a warning.

Put the cruise on 77-78...

I usually set it to 79, which is actually 78 per a few GPS apps.... but I'm doing 78 indicated now so I'm less likely to get another ticket. :p I had it set to 79, I think I must have rested my foot on the accel pedal a little bit and not noticed I increased a few mph. I can't find a comfortable place for my foot in any other position in this car.

... and use Waze. Social media is a powerful thing. Way more reliable than most anything I've used. I start Waze every single time I'm on the freeway and am an active user.

Started using it the day after I got the ticket. :lol:

Where on 33 did they get you?

I got a few trips down 33 coming up and rather not deal with johnny in the sky

between 36/37 and the first honda parkway exit.

i was actually coming back from Jegs warehouse on my Harley, and it was a saturday.

Right away should be your first clue as to how "accurate" this system is - Average. It can only calculate an average speed, it isn't taking an actual measurement of speed it's measuring how much time it takes for you to cover a specific distance.

Now wait a goddamn second, I'm not a lawyer but I did pay attention in high school physics; if you had as well you'd know the difference between speed and velocity. All speed measuring devices, be it VASCAR or RADAR or LIDAR are calculating speed, aka distance over time, aka a motherfuckin' average. RADAR and LIDAR don't measure velocity because velocity requires fancy fucking calculus to figure out. All they do is measure distance, they're just fancy range finders with a built in stop watch. Car is 400 feet away. Car is 396 feet away. Car traveled 4 feet in x seconds. Average speed over those 4 feet is...

In other words, the "science" is exactly like VASCAR.

VASCAR becomes a lot more accurate the longer the distance. Use a stopwatch to measure a baseball pitch and yeah, you're going to a wildly inaccurate answer. Use a stopwatch to record how long it takes for a cruise ship to go from Miami to San Juan and you're going to get a pretty fucking accurate average speed.

Your dumbass link uses, what, 100ft? Normal VASCAR distances are more like 660. It's a lot more accurate than you give it credit for.

Now wait a goddamn second, I'm not a lawyer but I did pay attention in high school physics; if you had as well you'd know the difference between speed and velocity. All speed measuring devices, be it VASCAR or RADAR or LIDAR are calculating speed, aka distance over time, aka a motherfuckin' average. RADAR and LIDAR don't measure velocity because velocity requires fancy fucking calculus to figure out. All they do is measure distance, they're just fancy range finders with a built in stop watch. Car is 400 feet away. Car is 396 feet away. Car traveled 4 feet in x seconds. Average speed over those 4 feet is...

In other words, the "science" is exactly like VASCAR.[/Quote]

Radar/LIDAR are measuring the variable distance from the target by sending out a signal and receiving it back. VASCAR the distance of fixed and is measured by visual observation. Radar and LIDAR both give speed measurements in real time.

I suppose if you want to get fancy LIDAR and the human eye are using the same science of light refraction, but then you are talking about precision made lenses that go through a QC check for consistency in the LIDAR vs the human eye which as we both know isn't as precise as we would like it (otherwise nobody would need glasses).

Your point is that they are using the same equation (not the same science, the same math) but with different variables, and in theory that is absolutely true - VASCAR is measuring time and calculating speed, LIDAR/Radar is measuring the change in distance within very short fixed time intervals. In application the output in LIDAR appears as real time speed and is very precise, the visual observation and stopwatch method? Not so much.

VASCAR becomes a lot more accurate the longer the distance. Use a stopwatch to measure a baseball pitch and yeah, you're going to a wildly inaccurate answer. Use a stopwatch to record how long it takes for a cruise ship to go from Miami to San Juan and you're going to get a pretty fucking accurate average speed.

Your dumbass link uses, what, 100ft? Normal VASCAR distances are more like 660. It's a lot more accurate than you give it credit for.

It also becomes more accurate the slower the target is going, and less accurate the faster it is going. But the problem here isn't just mathematical, it's consistency. Angle of observation, officer continuous visual observation, altitude, vehicle size, etc...these are all added factors that aren't compensated for and you don't have to even worry about with a fixed point land based measuring system like Radar/LIDAR. Even using 660 feet as the measurement, there is still an error margin of roughly 5-10 mph (assuming perfect reaction time, not average traction time), LIDAR has an error margin of 2kph (approx 1.2mph). Considering the speed is not only a factor as to whether you are violating the law, but also as to the severity of the infraction (and the ranges are in increments of 10mph-20mph) I don't feel a 5-10mph error rate is acceptable.

For aircraft navigation uses the method works fine but then again you are measuring everything relative to the aircraft you are traveling in, in speed enforcement the aircraft is not part of the equation and is only there to introduce inconsistency.

Aircraft for traffic enforcement against tailgaters, people swerving recklessly, things like that, I'm all for it. For speed measurement, too many variables and most of them human for it to be considered accurate for the kind of work being done, esp when LIDAR is both cheaper and more accurate.

Edited by Geeto67

Radar/LIDAR are measuring the variable distance from the target by sending out a signal and receiving it back. VASCAR the distance of fixed and is measured by visual observation. Radar and LIDAR both give speed measurements in real time.

I suppose if you want to get fancy LIDAR and the human eye are using the same science of light refraction, but then you are talking about precision made lenses that go through a QC check for consistency in the LIDAR vs the human eye which as we both know isn't as precise as we would like it (otherwise nobody would need glasses).

Your point is that they are using the same equation (not the same science, the same math) but with different variables, and in theory that is absolutely true - VASCAR is measuring time and calculating speed, LIDAR/Radar is measuring the change in distance within very short fixed time intervals. In application the output in LIDAR appears as real time speed and is very precise, the visual observation and stopwatch method? Not so much.

It also becomes more accurate the slower the target is going, and less accurate the faster it is going. But the problem here isn't just mathematical, it's consistency. Angle of observation, officer continuous visual observation, altitude, vehicle size, etc...these are all added factors that aren't compensated for and you don't have to even worry about with a fixed point land based measuring system like Radar/LIDAR.

Aircraft for traffic enforcement against tailgaters, people swerving recklessly, things like that, I'm all for it. For speed measurement, too many variables and most of them human for it to be considered accurate for the kind of work being done, esp when LIDAR is both cheaper and more accurate.

Radar can measure velocity through Doppler, not just distance over time.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

AZ uses RICO seized vehicles for patrol down here, I've seen everything from G37's to Dodge Rams down here that are unmarked. DPS also uses a new Camaro SS, Mustang GT, and Challenger SRT8 for patrol and all are unmarked and can hide in the bushes at night with their lights off to get people. One of those things I didn't have to worry about as much in Ohio.

AZ uses RICO seized vehicles for patrol down here, I've seen everything from G37's to Dodge Rams down here that are unmarked. DPS also uses a new Camaro SS, Mustang GT, and Challenger SRT8 for patrol and all are unmarked and can hide in the bushes at night with their lights off to get people. One of those things I didn't have to worry about as much in Ohio.

http://memes.ucoz.com/_nw/30/63448985.jpg

...and can hide in the bushes at night with their lights off to get people. One of those things I didn't have to worry about as much in Ohio.

Yeah, one of those things that doesn't make much sense to me... I've never seen OHP *not* in the center median with their lights on, but local boys are all over the place, usually with lights off :confused::confused: