Teach me the ways of the Ford 302 5.0

Jewtoys

I attempted to read through Mustang forums, but every other thread had different information. Figured someone here will easily know these basic questions.

Dropping a 5.0 302 boat anchor into a car, I plan to road race this summer. I know, plenty of other better options but someone makes a full mount kit which makes the whole process much easier for me.

The engine itself I plan to just toss a cam in it, along with headers. Nothing crazy, and will look into a built motor over the winter.

For the ease of wiring, I'm going to just use a carb. Locally I found a 5.0 out of a 1998 Mountaineer. It appears that year uses a gt40 head, where you need special headers so you can easily get the spark plugs out.

Obviously I will need an intake manifold and carb. What's a solid intake manifold, carb, and cam to use with this setup? Also, which distributor will be needed?

The car currently has an in-tank Walbro 255 that was used in a EFI setup. Will a simple Holley blue pump work?

Is there a budget road race style oil pan, that isn't the Moroso or Canton? Those are the same price as the whole engine... :lolguy:

Just to address a couple of your questions:

Intake - Grab a cheap Edelbrock

Carb - Holley or QFT. You'll want a 500cfm at your power. 650 if you want to have the room to grow on your cylinder heads.

Cam - That's really dependent upon preference.

Distributor - Use a oem reman. and the Ford Duraspark unit.

Oil pan - Use the stock pan and buy a baffle kit that's how I did mine. They don't really have a lot of oiling issues with a proper baffle and oil pump shaft.

As for those exploder heads...I hate them and they're heavy. You should just do the aluminum x heads for <$1K and skip having to work on it again.

Just to address a couple of your questions:

Intake - Grab a cheap Edelbrock

Carb - Holley or QFT. You'll want a 500cfm at your power. 650 if you want to have the room to grow on your cylinder heads.

Cam - That's really dependent upon preference.

Distributor - Use a oem reman. and the Ford Duraspark unit.

Oil pan - Use the stock pan and buy a baffle kit that's how I did mine. They don't really have a lot of oiling issues with a proper baffle and oil pump shaft.

As for those exploder heads...I hate them and they're heavy. You should just do the aluminum x heads for <$1K and skip having to work on it again.

Thanks

Aside from a cam, I have zero plans to do anything to the internals.

This is just a budget setup, to work out all the suspension kinks. Pointless to toss on 1k heads on a motor I would be happy with if it made 250hp...Also, the Mountaineer motor comes fully dressed. Everything in the front is shorter than the Mustang stuff, which helps in any clearance issues... The car has a tubular front end, so it probably wouldn't matter. Better safe than sorry.

My office is in the middle of a bunch of NASCAR shops, should be able to score a nice built motor if I can get this car handling in a way I'm comfortable with at speed.

Ended up finding pretty much exactly what I wanted.

The guy is dropping it off now.

95 cobra motor, so the accessories are pushed closer to the block. Came with all the accessories, and some underdrive pulleys. It has the factory distributor, which I can probably get to work with the carb setup. Springs,roller rockers,cam, valve job, and new headgaskets. New torker intake manifold, new Holley 600dp carb.

Tons of NASCAR shops are here, and this guy works at a coating place. Springs and the cam have some weird polish. Interior and exterior of, the heads, intake manifold, and carb are high temp teflon coated. I would never pay for these services, but they were already done.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1589/13754861/24767986/413380217.jpg

Made in brook park Ohio sticker on it. Had no idea these boat anchors were made in the Cleveland area.