Residential Window Replacement Recommendation

HotCarl

My girlfriend and I are about to move into a new house in the Worthington area. In the near future we will be replacing all of the windows. Anyone have recommendations on who they have worked with in the past? Cost, how long the project took, any savings in utility bills from the work? What kind of materials you went with?

It's a 5 bedroom home with approximately 14 windows that need to be replaced. House was built in '84 and the windows are all original. So far we have received very loose estimates ranging $5,000-$10,000+

I used ferguson window company after I bought my house 10 years ago. They are from Cincinnati but have an office in Grove city. I had all my windows replaced and all but 2 were custom made sliding windows. My house has super long windows :( They did a great job though. Windows are still looking good to this day. I think it was $7k after a special they were running. They did everything in a day. I used to have 1 pane crank windows with aluminum frames. They might as well just been cardboard. I went with the triple pane windows with argon gas. They all are double hung. I saved lots of money in electric and gas bills. My walls are no longer cold in the winter time. No drafts anymore either. Give them a call.

https://www.fergusonwindowcompany.com/

Edit: I did columbus glass block windows for my basement. Don't know if you need those replaced but these guys are great. They finished in a few hours. It was $250 total per window with the style I picked.

I'd go with a quality rating that matches the house, windows made of gold won't do you any good in a neighborhood made of bricks. It's a 1 day job, maybe 1.5 depending. As for energy no matter what anyone tells you you won't see much change, I assume your replacing double pane aluminium hung windows? It will help but don't expect to recoup a negligible amount. As for a good cost/quality balance I'd recommend Francisco for the install.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info fella's. I'm having a few contractors come out and give estimates but we have a close friend who may purchase the windows at a discount and we'll find someone to install for us. I feel like installation should be pretty straight forward if the size's aren't too unique, maybe I'm wrong?

having just purchased the house in the last few weeks we obviously haven't seen how cold the current windows are but they look pretty shitty and being electric heat we're hoping windows will make some positive impact on retaining heat in the winter. I'm thinking we'll probably look into upgrading the insulation as well.

I did a TON of research before we did ours last year. Everything I saw said to avoid the "big name" brands. I ended up with Polaris windows, Ultraweld double pane (they have a triple pane but not necessary around here), argon, low-e, yada yada yada. The guy who installed mine is now out of business/retired, and I don't know that I'd recommend him anyways (mainly caulking/J-channels look sloppy), but, the windows are outstanding. I'd have to find my receipt, but I think I paid around 3300 installed for 8 windows, most being 60"w x 36"h sliders. I had another company come out that used the same windows but it was a sales guy and install guy team and the price was a bit more.

I would definitely look into Polaris windows and find a quality installer. There is a place over by the airport that sells them. On 5th or 7th I think.

Got our first quote from Windsor Construction, I asked for a "good, better, best" examples. the "better" windows with install were $8950. the "good" windows were around $7300 I believe. That was for 15 windows. I was actually happy with their process, no high pressure bs. They just presented their product and what they do with all of the garantee's etc...

We have three more companies coming for quotes throughout the week but we're narrowing down what we want so hiring a subcontractor to do the install and purchasing the windows ourselves is a possibility as well. If we can find a subcontractor who's reasonable then we can afford to purchase a nicer windows with the savings we'd have from the install.

Holy fuck...people really pay this much for windows? Not even trying to be a dick, I'm just surprised.

At my old house in Hilliard, I had 15 windows replaced with what I assume were very high quality windows (I loved them)- it was under $4k, and it was done by a company.

For what it's worth, it was done by Diamond Construction in Hilliard. Dan Marshall was my guy, 614-679-1866.

Holy fuck...people really pay this much for windows? Not even trying to be a dick, I'm just surprised.

At my old house in Hilliard, I had 15 windows replaced with what I assume were very high quality windows (I loved them)- it was under $4k, and it was done by a company.

For what it's worth, it was done by Diamond Construction in Hilliard. Dan Marshall was my guy, 614-679-1866.

It's cool, and yeah I was expecting around 10k so I was surprised when they came in under. That being said we'll almost definitely purchase the windows ourselves and subcontract someone to just do the install. I just don't see how any company can compete with that low of a price (rough estimate was around $4800).

You can get a good quality vinyl double hung window for around $200 give or take (depending on size) per window. Definitely shop around

This is spot on. We did our own windows and that is right around what we paid walking into Home Depot. Oh the joy dam near replacing an entire wall due to leaky windows, rotted wood, and insects.

So we have been moving all week and simultaneously getting window quotes from different companies. One guy comes over and after I tell him we're not going to out price our neighborhood by buying $15-20k worth of windows he proceeds to give me this entire demonstrations for over 2 hours on their amazing windows only to give me a quote for $21,000!!!!!

Honestly I knew it was coming I was more upset he wasted over two hours of my time with his sales pitch when he clearly knew i wasn't buying that shit. Long story short he offered $10,800 for a lower grade window before he left. Thanks but no thanks.

The profit margin on windows is fucking insane.

I was more upset he wasted over two hours of my time with his sales pitch when he clearly knew i wasn't buying that shit. Long story short he offered $10,800 for a lower grade window before he left. Thanks but no thanks.

I would avoid the in house high pressure sales BS and contact empire windows and Zen windows. They will quote by email and phone.

Good talk.

• 3 weeks later...

Any of you guys have suggestions for resealing windows? Ive got 3 windows that need resealed in my sun room. I had glass doctor come out and they quoted me $1400 to do 5 windows which seemed really high to me.

they would just take the glass out, replace it with the one they make and were done. same type of window nothing special. I could see the price if it was UV glass and argon or what ever inside. I called Kerbler to have them quote me and they couldnt come out until late august to even give me a quote and wouldnt be able to install until September.

Any of you guys have suggestions for resealing windows? Ive got 3 windows that need resealed in my sun room. I had glass doctor come out and they quoted me $1400 to do 5 windows which seemed really high to me.

they would just take the glass out, replace it with the one they make and were done. same type of window nothing special. I could see the price if it was UV glass and argon or what ever inside. I called Kerbler to have them quote me and they couldnt come out until late august to even give me a quote and wouldnt be able to install until September.

Trio Glass downtown is awesome for this, a standard double pane takes 24 hours and is 50-100 depending on size. They can do just about anything. I prefer to drop them off that way I can pick them up the next morning but they probably have an install service if you don't want to pull them yourself.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk