Ford is killing off the Focus RS after 2018?

Geeto67

http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-ford-focus-rs-costs-5-000-more-but-heres-why-1795965874

Was kind of surprised to read that the Focus RS in the US will be basically a 2 year only unicorn. I wonder how many 2018's they will sell? Also why didn't the 2017's come with an LSD?

I'm not surprised by the 2 year run, I thought they said that was the plan originally. I am surprised they're going away from their "Torque Vectoring" and putting in a LSD.

I always thought the limited color options were meh, so red one might be nice.

so can I bitch for a second? I don't get this "Its just a focus" or "just an "impreza" kind of logic. It is a longstanding practice for manufacturers to base their high performance models off of some of the more cheaper, standard cars. This is nothing new. The selling price of my GTO new in 1967 was $3050 (if it had been fully optioned it would have been close to $4500), this is over the base price of the bottom barrel tempest which was $2483 msrp. And let's be honest the GTO is a crude car - it isn't like I was getting a technologically advanced fuel efficient small displacement engine that makes it's emissions smell like unicorn farts, the GTO was about as sophisticated as a sharpened rock. The high price of "options" on base cars was what led to the Judge and Roadrunner as "low cost" alternatives that could then be further optioned up.

I am sure there were those people that at the time said $3050!!!I'm not paying that for a tarted up tempest, and you know what? I'm really glad those people were wrong because muscle cars like my GTO, and not a 4 door tempest sedan, is why we remember cars from the 60's in the first place. In 20 years we will all be remembering how good the STI was and the RS and nobody is gonna remember fondly driving a naturally aspirated impreza with a cvt.

Are there more comfortable things you could buy new for $40K? sure. More performance oriented? sure, AWD? why not, more useful? absolutely. But for the money could you get a car that was better at 2 or 3 of those things than a Focus RS or an STI? doubtful, and if it was better at those two it would be way worse at whatever is left on the table.

The Focus RS is awesome, the STI is awesome, modern performance cars are just plain awesome. The world is a better place for having them. /rant.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-ford-focus-rs-costs-5-000-more-but-heres-why-1795965874

Was kind of surprised to read that the Focus RS in the US will be basically a 2 year only unicorn. I wonder how many 2018's they will sell? Also why didn't the 2017's come with an LSD?

We're expecting a new Focus next year, so they're doing a "last hoorah" so to speak. 1500 units total in Race Red (never offered before) or Nitrous Blue. Black roof and mirrors, fully loaded with the 19" forged wheels and an LSD up front.

so can I bitch for a second? I don't get this "Its just a focus" or "just an "impreza" kind of logic.

I think the issue is that there are a pile of cars that outperform it in every aspect at the same price point. Im not a Ford guy, but the Mustang is a Damn good looking car, and the fact that you can get a GT for 8k less than an RS-I think you'd have a hard time leaving with an RS.

ALL Ford had to do was get the RS to like 500CHP and they could have sold em for 50k

It didn't exactly help with dealers marking up the shit out of them until recently, and I still hear about some markups even now.

JP makes a great point, my car is a base GT with the Performance Pack and Recaro seats, MSRP = $37k. The RS with no options is $37k and climbs from there, easy choice for me.

It's a focus. Same reason the srt-4 neons died. People have a hard time spending twice what the lesser models cost. And $40k for a car that runs mid 13's and 0-60 in the mid 4 second range is a joke.

It was my understanding the SRT-4's were relatively inexpensive. Weren't they low to mid 20's? And put like 250whp down from the factory, with plenty of room to grow (there are a few around here that will humble you on the streets). I guess I never really thought $23k for a boosted 2.4 4 cyl was bad. Had they come AWD for a little more I would have considered picking one up back in the day.

It was my understanding the SRT-4's were relatively inexpensive. Weren't they low to mid 20's? And put like 250whp down from the factory, with plenty of room to grow (there are a few around here that will humble you on the streets). I guess I never really thought $23k for a boosted 2.4 4 cyl was bad. Had they come AWD for a little more I would have considered picking one up back in the day.

$19,995

I'm getting old I know, I don't get it? Focus costs $22k. Performance pack (includes Brembos) on mustangs costs, what, $2500? You telling me a RS engine/awd costs $15k on top of what a standard focus engine/drivetrain costs. Fuck off ford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk