Good Gun for the Price

Zx2guy19

Hey folks- I'm not a big gun guy, so looking for opinions. After my LC9 was stolen, I went to Vance's yesterday and picked up an LCPII as my new carry gun (that part I'm good with, totally comfortable with my choice.

However, for some additional home protection, (already have a Mossberg 500) I purchased a Remington 1911 R1 .45 in all stainless...it ended up being $469 after a $100 mail in rebate.

Everything I'm reading says it's a great gun and the cheapest other price I could find was at Bud's for $620. Is this gun okay for what it's intended for? I will range it 1-2x per year, but otherwise, it will sit at my house for protection.

Any better guns I could have picked up for a similar price?

Here is what I bought:

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/115353/name/remington-1911-r1-stainless-45-acp-pistol

This is a canned answer but any gun can be an effective home defense weapon. The 45 has good stopping power. Make sure to have extra mags and good ammo. The most important thing is get to the range a lot more than 1-2x per year. Also practice in your house and dry fire. Good luck and hope you never have to use it.

Also practice in your house and dry fire.

Isn't dry-firing a big no-no?

Are you saying to practice handling your gun around the house, unloaded of course, to make sure you're comfortable retrieving it and moving around?

I hardly handle my gun outside of a range!

Hey folks- I'm not a big gun guy, so looking for opinions. After my LC9 was stolen, I went to Vance's yesterday and picked up an LCPII as my new carry gun (that part I'm good with, totally comfortable with my choice.

However, for some additional home protection, (already have a Mossberg 500) I purchased a Remington 1911 R1 .45 in all stainless...it ended up being $469 after a $100 mail in rebate.

Everything I'm reading says it's a great gun and the cheapest other price I could find was at Bud's for $620. Is this gun okay for what it's intended for? I will range it 1-2x per year, but otherwise, it will sit at my house for protection.

Any better guns I could have picked up for a similar price?

Here is what I bought:

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/115353/name/remington-1911-r1-stainless-45-acp-pistol

Beautiful gun, I've been eyeing a 1911R1 for quite some time, this might be the tipping point.

If you want to go to the range sometime, hit me up. I've got a Dan Wesson .357 revolver and a Llama Comanche .22 plinker I need to get practice with.

This is a canned answer but any gun can be an effective home defense weapon. The 45 has good stopping power. Make sure to have extra mags and good ammo. The most important thing is get to the range a lot more than 1-2x per year. Also practice in your house and dry fire. Good luck and hope you never have to use it.

Thanks man- I agree, a gun is a gun when it comes time to save yourself, just making sure that after dropping $500 on a particular one, I got a decent one. I typically do the range around that amount but maybe now that I have a larger gun (the LC9 was tiny) I could probably go more.

Are you saying to practice handling your gun around the house, unloaded of course, to make sure you're comfortable retrieving it and moving around?

Clay- I have heard the dry firing being a "no no" is a bit of a myth. I could be wrong...I don't think you should do it 500x, but I don't think it's as bad as people made it sound in the past.

Beautiful gun, I've been eyeing a 1911R1 for quite some time, this might be the tipping point.

If you want to go to the range sometime, hit me up. I've got a Dan Wesson .357 revolver and a Llama Comanche .22 plinker I need to get practice with.

Thanks man- this goes off sale Thursday and Vance's is down to 8 in the company (as of yesterday)...Obetz had zero, so they had to order it for me t to that location.

I'll definitely hit you up for the range. I'm due for a session now that I have 2 new guns to break in.

Clay, Dry firing is a very useful tool for several reasons. First always be safe and remember the rules of gun safety. Some guns need to be broken in and dry firing is a cheap way to do it. Dry firing will also give you a new prospective on your house. Look through the sites at your living room or hallway. That is what it will look like if you ever need to use it. Its better to see it now and do it repetitively so it will not look foreign later. It is also a good technique to identify flaws in your shooting. Pick a spot on the wall. Where do your sights go when the hammer falls. There is a click but no boom. Are you low left, low right, did you flinch? Its an easy way to work on undoing bad habits. (I really need to do this too).

Thanks man- I agree, a gun is a gun when it comes time to save yourself, just making sure that after dropping $500 on a particular one, I got a decent one. I typically do the range around that amount but maybe now that I have a larger gun (the LC9 was tiny) I could probably go more.

Go more. Get used to your gun, its controls, its recoil, its noise etc. Add me to your list if you want to go. I am a member at LEPD and am always happy to put holes in paper. I'm never going to win a bullseye contest but its a lot of fun! For S&G's check out the latest episode of the Proarms Podcast. Massad Ayoob just did an interview with a pharmacist that saved his life using a 1911. http://proarmspodcast.com/

Clay, Dry firing is a very useful tool for several reasons. First always be safe and remember the rules of gun safety. Some guns need to be broken in and dry firing is a cheap way to do it. Dry firing will also give you a new prospective on your house. Look through the sites at your living room or hallway. That is what it will look like if you ever need to use it. Its better to see it now and do it repetitively so it will not look foreign later. It is also a good technique to identify flaws in your shooting. Pick a spot on the wall. Where do your sights go when the hammer falls. There is a click but no boom. Are you low left, low right, did you flinch? Its an easy way to work on undoing bad habits. (I really need to do this too).

Go more. Get used to your gun, its controls, its recoil, its noise etc. Add me to your list if you want to go. I am a member at LEPD and am always happy to put holes in paper. I'm never going to win a bullseye contest but its a lot of fun! For S&G's check out the latest episode of the Proarms Podcast. Massad Ayoob just did an interview with a pharmacist that saved his life using a 1911. http://proarmspodcast.com/

Sounds like I need to train with you. It's been ages since I've been to the range.

CR does track days, should we do range days too?

I do not recommend a 1911-platform for home defense, due to it's very limited magazine capacity and FBI stats on how likely you are to hit (was 1 in 7 hit last I checked).

I do not recommend a 1911 for a novice either, due to it's inherent fussyness, high maintenance, and precision of assembly.

I do not recommend dry-firing a 1911, research your specific model/variant before you dry fire a 1911.

I do recommend purchasing a full size glock, M&P, or other LE-issued or federally issued pistol. Dry fire away, 10k dry fires won't appreciably wear or hurt your modern striker fired pistol.

Get to the range as often as possible, try for a minimum once/month. Get some instruction. Get some friends that will motivate you to stay in practice. Join a club/league. Never hesitate to reach out to your resources (like CR) regardless of how silly or insignificant you might think your question is.

I do not recommend a 1911-platform for home defense, due to it's very limited magazine capacity and FBI stats on how likely you are to hit (was 1 in 7 hit last I checked).

I do not recommend a 1911 for a novice either, due to it's inherent fussyness, high maintenance, and precision of assembly.

I do not recommend dry-firing a 1911, research your specific model/variant before you dry fire a 1911.

I do recommend purchasing a full size glock, M&P, or other LE-issued or federally issued pistol. Dry fire away, 10k dry fires won't appreciably wear or hurt your modern striker fired pistol.

Get to the range as often as possible, try for a minimum once/month. Get some instruction. Get some friends that will motivate you to stay in practice. Join a club/league. Never hesitate to reach out to your resources (like CR) regardless of how silly or insignificant you might think your question is.

I was coming here to say the same thing. Love my 1911 style guns but without a doubt I'd stand by Springfield XD/M series guns, M&P, Glock, etc. and they give you a wider range of caliper options. You can easily get one of these guns probably with night-sights at least a used variety but maybe even new for the same money and.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-compact-40-cal/

This is my main carry piece. I use the full size extended magazine as a nightstand gun too gives you a full grip but you can use the shorter magazine when carrying to make it more of a true compact.

Very nice gun and very comfortable for a compact and I have large hands.

CR does track days, should we do range days too?

I would totally be down for that sometime. I'm a fair novice but learning quickly. Have a membership at Vance's and go about 1-2 times a month, usually on a random weekend night by myself as seems nobody who may interested can ever go.

The 1911 is a great gun and platform. Is it the "best" for home defense, probably not. If the question were what should I buy, I would have said a boring G17 or full sized M&P just like in the previous replies.

But the OP has already purchased the gun so it's what he has to work with. Try sevseral ammo types and make sure it is "broken in" if needed before you rely on it. Make sure you try several types of defense loads not just cheap ball ammo. Remington has had some quality issues but their 1911's seem to get good reviews. I still say dry firing even a 1911 is a good thing. Parts are cheap and unless there are flaws in the quality, it would take thousands of repetitions for anything to fail. Get used to the trigger, the reset, the sights etc.

Also get to a concealed carry class. Even if you don't get the license, the training and especially the legal education is worth it. Read Allan Korwin's book, After You Shoot. It's a must read for anyone who wants to use a weapon for self or home dense. Good luck.

Also get to a concealed carry class then take advanced courses. There are many with qualified instructors that offer training on how to defend yourself and loved ones in your house.

FTFY.

Personally, the CC class didn't really teach much outside of the law and the difference between rimfire and centerfire ammo. If you grew up without a firearm anywhere to be seen, yes, it's educational. If you grew up even slightly hunting or shooting a lot of it is review. Not that that's bad either.

CCL courses don't teach how to truly defend yourself if knocked down or in the case of home invasion, etc.

To answer the OP, looks like you got some good deals. If you're happy, rock them. I'm also not the biggest 1911 fan, but I'm also not a fan of Glock's.

Find what YOU like and what works for YOU. When you do, work with it.