Viper to reclaim "The Ring"

Miller

For those of you that are Viper fans like myself I thought I would share a pretty cool effort I've been following since the start of the year. As some of you may know, the GenIV Viper ACR claimed the crown in 2011 as the fastest production car at Nordschleife. It also set and held over a dozen records on our own soil. None really mean as much internationally as "The Ring".

Dodge was prepared to let the 2017 ACR sail into the sunsets of retirement but the Viper community was not. Members of VOA pooled together their resources to get a professional driver(s), supporting crew, two donated ACR's, and the track time to reclaim the most coveted production car title. There's been a rustle on the forums recently that the run is going to take place in the next week. Members that donated over $10g's to the effort are invited to attend and spectate but won't outright state when they'll be there. It's definitely coming soon.

It would be pretty cool if it reclaims the title. Taking that away with a retired chassis is the ultimate mic drop on the competition. You can't view "the thread that started it all" but you can see the one after the donation threshold had been broken, it's open to non-members.

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/18520-We-re-going-to-nurburgring?highlight=ring

https://www.facebook.com/ViperRingKing/

What do you guys think? Can it happen? Their driver selection was excellent in my opinion.

I chose the right day to post this! A member just shared a webcam photo from Nurburgring and that orange truck is confirmed to be carrying both Vipers :megusta: :masturboy:

http://i.imgur.com/AScepho.jpg

I appreciate that sort of thing, where existing metal can still reign supreme on the street/track.

I forget where I read the article, but in conjunction with the release of the new XC90 last year, Volvo retested an original (first-gen) Volvo XC90 for 2016 crash standards. It still scored 4-5 stars, better than all of the competition except for the Tesla Model X.

You know you've got a great vehicle when it's still kicking a$$ against new-comers.

Thats a great story and the amount of dedication is impressive.

Amazing what some rich, type-a personalities can achieve together.

Loving this !!!!

:cool:

The new ZR-1 was testing 2 weeks ago when we were there. Wonder if GM has plans to make this short lived?

I heard the same. I've also heard that on paper they'll be very similar (except the vette is likely sporting more hp) but I wouldn't count out the Dodge. The team decided to use the ACR instead of the ACR-E so that the aero wouldn't slow them down where the HP is needed. This thing is going to scream.

Amazing what some rich, type-a personalities can achieve together.

:cool:

I heard the same. I've also heard that on paper they'll be very similar (except the vette is likely sporting more hp) but I wouldn't count out the Dodge. The team decided to use the ACR instead of the ACR-E so that the aero wouldn't slow them down where the HP is needed. This thing is going to scream.

it's a big HP and mechanical grip track more than it is an aero track...they made the right decision. There's probably 3-4 turns where the extreme aero package would make a big difference. Plus where you do need to use the curbs they are huge and would probably mess with that front splitter on the extreme.

it's a big HP and mechanical grip track more than it is an aero track...they made the right decision. There's probably 3-4 turns where the extreme aero package would make a big difference. Plus where you do need to use the curbs they are huge and would probably mess with that front splitter on the extreme.

You're absolutely right. Looking at the times to beat and where the Gen 4 landed I don't see how this new ACR is going to find 20 seconds of time over the last gen. That would be UNREAL

any time you have amateurs delving into a realm of motorsports where typically it's mfgs only is a good thing. Too many motorsports are closed off now to those not associated with multi-billion dollar operations. Sure it's a paltry record, but it's something to root for - it's one thing when a huge company can go out and spend megabucks in a pissing match to one up another company, it's another when a bunch of guys put the mfg's claims to the test and try to replicate it on an amateur's budget.

If they pull this off it will mean more than dodge's original record, it will prove that dodge built a product with which anybody can replicate results.

That's well said, Kerry. I think it's been leaked that the day is 7/21. Some members got hold of the schedule and it's the only day "locked down" from the public besides the 29th this month. And I doubt the truck is there to sit for 2 weeks... I wonder if there's live video from any webcams?

Hope for dry weather!

Edit:

Fun fact - The cost of this effort with two donated cars (and I assume 2 drivers asking only for a nominal fee maybe even travel and stay only) is $165k USD. And it was sourced from less than 400 Viper owners.

Fun fact - The cost of this effort with two donated cars (and I assume 2 drivers asking only for a nominal fee maybe even travel and stay only) is $165k USD. And it was sourced from less than 400 Viper owners.

I can't remember where I heard it but I think Chevrolet spent something like $1.2 million when it sent the z/28 to the ring to post a time. That is just the logistics cost of getting the car and parts there, getting the people there, setting up the car, and making the car run for it's number. It wasn't even setting a "record time" it was just testing the car and posting a time for comparison with the field. It could be a bogus number but it doesn't seem all that unbelievable when you think about the rig and tires and spares, and data collection a big operation like GM would travel with.

I can't remember where I heard it but I think Chevrolet spent something like $1.2 million when it sent the z/28 to the ring to post a time. That is just the logistics cost of getting the car and parts there, getting the people there, setting up the car, and making the car run for it's number. It wasn't even setting a "record time" it was just testing the car and posting a time for comparison with the field. It could be a bogus number but it doesn't seem all that unbelievable when you think about the rig and tires and spares, and data collection a big operation like GM would travel with.

All the manufacturers have development centers just outside of the track. They literally drive the cars across the street to the public entrance and then directly back to the warehouse when complete. If that camera that was on the gas station were to turn 90 degrees to the right you'd see the factory development buildings. Manthey racing and a couple other race shops are setup back there too.

The guy who drove the recent ZL1 1LE lap posts on Rennlist and is a full time GM engineer not even a "hired shoe" pro driver. Don't get me wrong he's got an impressive driver resume but he's a full time GM employee not a full time pro driver.

The guy who drove the recent ZL1 1LE lap posts on Rennlist and is a full time GM engineer not even a "hired shoe" pro driver

Yeah was neat to read his comments.

He's no slouch, read Randy Pobst eventually barely beat his time. I'd expect the test engineers know those cars better than anyone.

You're absolutely right. Looking at the times to beat and where the Gen 4 landed I don't see how this new ACR is going to find 20 seconds of time over the last gen. That would be UNREAL

Don't forget the reconfiguration of the track, an extra ~45 hp of the GenV, and different gearing, plus improved tires. In the previous record run he was bouncing off the rev limiter in places because the car wasn't geared very well for that track. There were simulations done with different gearing at the time that showed improvements.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

it will prove that dodge built a product with which anybody can replicate results.

Some guy from Cincinnati borrowed a show room fresh 2017 Viper ACR extreme at gridlife and set the production car record at mid ohio. The viper is impressive.

Some guy from Cincinnati borrowed a show room fresh 2017 Viper ACR extreme at gridlife and set the production car record at mid ohio. The viper is impressive.

no doubt. This article from last year is kind of interesting too:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a29006/dodge-viper-13-track-records-multiple-runs/

no doubt. This article from last year is kind of interesting too:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a29006/dodge-viper-13-track-records-multiple-runs/

Glad to see they also mentioned the 24 Hour validation of every SRT. That is something that doesn't get talked about enough. There are also lots of "track ready" cars that overheat after 1 lap that aren't hybrids that I think they were taking a shot at.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Glad to see they also mentioned the 24 Hour validation of every SRT. That is something that doesn't get talked about enough. There are also lots of "track ready" cars that overheat after 1 lap that aren't hybrids that I think they were taking a shot at.

I meant to ask you about that, Is that each and every car? is it done on a dyno or is there a group of people at Chryco whose whole job is to run an SRT car around a track. what's involved? I think they have sold like 35K SRT grand Cherokees so that's a lot of cars to test.

I meant to ask you about that, Is that each and every car? is it done on a dyno or is there a group of people at Chryco whose whole job is to run an SRT car around a track. what's involved? I think they have sold like 35K SRT grand Cherokees so that's a lot of cars to test.

I remember reading about dodge doing like 25 hours straight of pretty hard core laps at Nelson Ledges for the SRT Neons for testing.