Storm doors

PRD2BDF

Did you do the install or have it done? I'll have to do more reading about this later, but I'm curious if the install is relatively simple. I could definitely benefit from this having an all electric house with heat pump.

Had the electrician install it, but I could have done it myself, we had the switch and wiring in the wall and Attic already installed when we built the house, we paid the same electrician that wired the house $250 to install and connect after we closed and moved in. Couldn't have it in the house before we closed they claimed it would have failed our Energy Star Rating. Whatever, it's awesome. I have a magnetic cover that goes over the vent in the Winter so hot air doesn't escape.

It is very simple. They give you instructions or you can watch the video online. Simply use the cut out given and cut between two studs (do not need to cut studs) place damper box over opening. (screw into studs and install grill cover). Make a 90 degree bend with the duct and hang from rafters and hook up electric. It took my about 3-4 hours total. I had some issues fishing the wire down the wall for the controls.

I have a ~1900 sqft house and purchased the CL-4700 as I plan on moving in the next 5-6 years. I wanted purchase the ES-4700 but couldn't justify the price difference (~10 year ROI). I really liked that you could wire the ES motor to have a LOW-MED-HIGH (even though they don't mention it), it is the same motor the PRO series.

We bought the biggest one and and just have low and Hi. 3500 sqft and it cools the house off quick when it's below 65 at night. It's nice to throw it on low in the fall when it's 75 and dry just to have a breeze coming in from a few windows.

I didn't realize HD had them. Figured it would have to be purchased directly from the manufacturer or a special distributor. That's quite a bit of coin, but with my system being all electric, I bet it would pay for itself fairly quickly. Will have to check into it. Thanks for the info.

I have an Anderson storm door on the front of my house with the retractable screen. I love it. It's great to open the door to let light in and pull down the screen to let air flow through the house. I'm going to be replacing the back door on my house and plan on getting the same storm door on that one too.

I think it's just personal preference whether you want a storm door or not. It's definitely not necessary.

I too have a anderson storm door with the retractable screen(on the top half) I think it was like 400-450 installed from home depot. Its nice to be able to have the breeze come through. Good sturdy design too doesn't feel cheap, would recommend.

We have it on our back door out to our porch that didn't have one. Like it so much we might replace our front door that has a storm door but not with a screen.

that really all it is? It does not actually direct that air out or the house?

Yes, you don't want it to vent outside, you want it to vent into the attic, your Attic is most likely 110-130 degrees on a hot day, that radiates down into your house, so when you are sucking cool air into your house it's venting only 70-80 degree air into the attic effectivly cooling the attic as well as the attic should have some vents to push the hot air out. So it's cooling the house and attic at the same time. Trust me they are fucking awesome in the fall. In the summer if it falls below 70 at night, I will open some windows and suck some air in, just to cool the attic.