Mounting a tv above a fireplace

HotCarl

Attempting to mount a tv above a fireplace.

There is drywall in front of the brick/cinderblock so i have no idea where the studs are and my studfinder isn't being very helpful. I'm thinking I just need to cut away a big section of drywall to see what I'm working with and anchor the bracket to the studs.

Anyone ever done this? Any tips or suggestions? I'm pretty damn close to paying someone to install it for me.

(note: I know, mounting a tv above a fireplace isn't really great for the tv but there is literally no where else to mount a tv in this room that would look halfway decent. )

Agreed, find the studs ( make a hole and bend a coat hanger to poke either direction until it stops), or anchor into the masonry.

I hung my 75" over the fireplace 2yrs ago with no issues. I went a little overkill though, I had these laying around, and hung my 215 lbs on it before putting the TV up. fed1c2b553aa9a1be603273db06c3be7.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Are there studs? If it's a plaster house it's probably just on the brick.

It's newish (built in 84 I think) so no plaster. I ended up cutting a small pilot hole to get a look in there, I think I'm going to cut a larger hole then go from there. Patching drywall can be a pain but I'd rather do that than take the chance I don't anchor the bracket right the first time. I'm probably over-thinking it anyway but we'll see.

Hosting a diaper party on the 26th and this is my task... well this and buying the keg but I have no problem doing that part.

There's likely cinder block just below the mantle and a header right above it. Here's what ours looked liked after we demo'd it and put the framing in for what would be our new drywall (we removed the fireplace all together) thus why you see it bricked up all the way. You can see the old cinder then the header above that. Farther up it's just standard wall framing.

https://goo.gl/photos/uLeADFtnNJMYcYca9