Old Used Truck Price?

Sully

I'm looking at an older truck, 87 GMC Sierra regular cab, long bed, auto, with the 305. The body is in decent shape. Appears to be original faded paint. Bench seat has typical seam tears. 2 sets of wheels. ODO says 250K on it, but current owner states previous owner rebuilt the engine approximately 7 years ago. Not sure how many miles since rebuild. The PO was using this truck to pull a trailer w/ a car on it. Current owner does not daily this, but says it runs strong with no slipping in transmission, etc. He's asking $3500.

I feel these older vehicles are hard to price due to so many variables. I guess it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So, my question is, is his asking price way off base or pretty fair? I can't upload a pic right now, but can later, if needed.

Here's a pic of the truck:

Rd-tKYjRNbuIN4PPmiBKp2mc7GV_cIaXPJ645MsqqkYCm64LuKlh4w

Edited by Sully

If it's 2WD, the value should be through the floor ($750-1500?). Granted, the last 4 beater 2WD tee-ruks I've had since 2002 have all been fine in the snow and ice, especially with a set of snowtires.

$3500 for anything less than a fully-intact representative of the breed is too much. Plus, I would go south or west if possible to ensure minimal rust. This thing has 250k on the chassis!!! WTF???

Also, agree with Steve...for $3500 I'd better have working A/C and maybe even cruise control to make it comfy for DD use if I wanted.

hmmm.... good info. I was thinking his price was too high, but wanted other opinions, so this helps. Also, I was doing some research on that engine. It's doesn't have a lot of HP, but the truck is light. I was really looking for something with a beefier motor. I'm not planning on trying to race it or anything. I just want something with some cojones.

If interested, my grandpa has an 89 Chevy Cheyenne regular cab 8 foot bed 2wd with less than 100k on it I believe. It has a TBI 305 in it that runs well, and if I recall the original motor was replaced @ like 30k miles by GM.

It is absolutely rusty in the rear fender and cab corners but really is a pretty solid truck. He has been talking about selling it since he is going to "retire" soon @ 91 years old :).

It might be worth that much if it was 100% rust free. Otherwise he's asking way too much IMO.

At the beginning of the summer I bought an '89 Cheyenne 1500, 4x4, regular cab long bed, with a 350 TBI and 4-speed manual, some rust on body but solid frame, 78k miles, mechanically great, needing nothing but tires. I paid $1200 for the truck (craigslist).

http://i.imgur.com/l1kAYHGl.jpg

Back in like 2012 I bought a '97 Silverado 1500, 4x4, extended cab with a 350 Vortec and 5-speed manual, zero rust and nice paint, 240k miles but mechanically perfect. I paid $3200 for it (craigslist).

http://i.imgur.com/sgLcgG8l.jpg

I think you guys are forgetting that an 87' is a squarebody and within the past few years and even more now, they've become increasingly popular so their prices have shot up into the tater clouds. I've owned several squarebodies over the years and the prices nowadays for them are nuts, even for a rusty, clapped out one.

I think you guys are forgetting that an 87' is a squarebody and within the past few years and even more now, they've become increasingly popular so their prices have shot up into the tater clouds. I've owned several squarebodies over the years and the prices nowadays for them are nuts, even for a rusty, clapped out one.

Yep I was looking for a squarebody before I bought my '89 and the prices are definitely inflated. That being said, I came across a few that were in decent shape for $2k or less. The hardest part is finding one that hasn't been messed with too much

I found this '86 C10 on craigslist back in the spring, they were asking $1500. A little rust on the body, needed paint, but solid frame, and the interior and trim pieces were all there, nice bumpers, original 305 motor, not hacked up etc.

http://i.imgur.com/Zglysphl.jpg

I should have bought it

I looked at the truck tonight. It's an Arizona truck that was brought here about 5 or so years ago when the current owner bought it. He hasn't driven it in the winter, but it sits outside. He said he's only put about 5K on it since he's had it. The PO rebuilt the engine approximately 85K miles ago. Had long tube headers and solid duals out the back. No fluid leaks. Starts right up. Shifting is solid. Brakes seem firm. Frame rails are solid. Has typical 'truck of that age' issues. Cab corners are rusted. Driver door hard to shut; had to slam it. No A/C (which I don't care about; I prefer 2-60 air). Tailgate handle doesn't automatically retract when you open the tailgate; you have to manually push the handle back to the closed position. Has new water pump, battery, and gas tank. Comes with the stock rims w/ new tires on them, which are not on the truck right now. The driver side mirror needs to be replaced because some kids in the neighborhood recently broke it.

All in all, it seems like a good truck, but I also think it's priced a bit high. He told me to make him an offer. However, like I said earlier, I would like to have a bigger motor in it. But as someone else said, larger engines can be had fairly cheap and these trucks are easy as hell to work on.

I'm a bit torn as to what to do. One of the main reasons I was immediately attracted to this truck is because it's damn near an exact match to one my uncle had when I was growing up. He was an extremely important person in my life and passed away from cancer at a very early age. Both myself and his son (my cousin) wanted to buy his truck, but my uncle's wife sold it to her brother. I spent many hours helping my uncle work on that truck and that's where I learned how to wrench.

I feel that if I offer him $1500, he'll tell me to kick rocks. So, I don't know. Would $2,000 be too much or pretty fair based off what I've said about the truck and what he's asking?

It doesn't hurt to offer $1500, and see where he ends up. I wouldn't go higher than $2k, especially if you're going to eventually pull the 305.

Watch "Engine Masters" latest video on Motor Trend's YT channel...they got a ton of power off of a cast 350 with H/C/I...

Yeah...that truck actually looks a lot better in pic...the aluminum wheels look sharp. Are the tires in good shape?

Would be curious if that paint could hold a polish (paging Tim). Looks like a lot of weathering dripping down the side.

I'll up my offer to $2500 if the tires are solid...but that's IT. :)

Yeah...that truck actually looks a lot better in pic...the aluminum wheels look sharp. Are the tires in good shape?

Would be curious if that paint could hold a polish (paging Tim). Looks like a lot of weathering dripping down the side.

Agreed. That looks nicer than I was expecting

The weather down the sides are from the stupid bed cover that the previous owner had put on it. He installed the button type. Dumb.

The tires have a decent amount of tread left on them, but due to the age, they are cracking. The stock wheels have newer tires on them, but those wheels/tires are smaller.

And another thing....

Finnegan (of HotRod and Roadkill fame) complained on their Ramp Truck of the "terrible" tube grille for these Squarebodies. Yeah...it's a dated design but I still think it looks good for that bodystyle, and for the price it's cheaper than a plastic knock-off grille from LMC...

And another thing....

Finnegan (of HotRod and Roadkill fame) complained on their Ramp Truck of the "terrible" tube grille for these Squarebodies. Yeah...it's a dated design but I still think it looks good for that bodystyle, and for the price it's cheaper than a plastic knock-off grille from LMC...

Yeah, I like it on that truck.

Oh, and the SS stick-ons add 20HP (10 for each side). :lol: