'97 4runner DD/budget truck build.

cstmg8

So, long story short (or just a little less long), I bought this truck from a CR member, I'm sure he'll chime in. I saw the add, almost 20 yr old truck, blown head gasket, but in great shape otherwise.

I knew nothing about the Toyota 3.4, except that I could fix it.... Or that my wife would kill me if I couldn't. I don't remember what the asking price was, but we agreed on $1,200. So I went to look at this truck:

064e4d4035186c50f352ef446c99c912.jpg

I know, right? $1,200!! The exhaust was smoking(steam) pretty badly:

fd2e7ab20eb29febbb95a6daba3b0116.jpg

He was nice enough to let me run it through a few heat cycles at his house over the next two days. I picked up a bottle of Barr's carbon fiber stopleak for $45 (ouch) and got started, with the intention of just driving it home.

After 3 or so heat cycles it idled like this, and I drove it home:

b926f4f986d034dce6a2f644609d75bb.jpg

I dd'd the runner for a full year like that! Already getting my $1,200 worth. Did I mention it had brand new geolander A/T's, and an in dash pioneer dvd? I honestly felt a little guilty at times, for the deal I'd gotten.

Then the head gasket blew for good, and I parked it in my garage for teardown. My first overhead cam work:

cfb06622b2d3b7b40b98829b1d8512d8.jpg

Unfortunately, life hit, and the 4runner sat this way for a year.....ish.... we had our second daughter and I started in the elevator trade, working 60 hrs a week for a year.

I decided to replace the rusted out exhaust with a walker replacement:d8b5932cffcce3486f5f55c07fc9387a.jpg

I finally got motivated in Aug 2017 and put her back together and fired her up. New gaskets, a roof basket, and a battery later (and a little plastidip), this is how she sat:

1a36cab13f9a8437aef42b20383d73b9.jpg

Edited by cstmg8

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently working on the suspension upgrade/replacement.

Front:

ebay longer UCA's

Wheelers off-road 3" lift coils

Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks

1"diff drop

Rear:

Toytech superflex lift coils (3-3.75" depending on weight)

Rough country n20 shocks

1.25" hubcentric wheel spacers

Removing swaybars for now, as they are shot anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

b3765cba14142ce06834dd63ca746253.jpg

Edited by cstmg8

HF spring compressors have earned their worth once again. Sketchy as always, especially since the safety pins won't close over these coils.

New vs old coils, not as much height difference as I thought. Thicker coil though.9cc4b528fc1e05b0463d004d9d034511.jpg

807262c7bfe6f901b9642a780c98fc11.jpg

Yeaaaaahh...I draw the line at HF spring compressors. Not much better, but AutoZone loan-a-tool is an alternative.

Looking forward to build progress!

Lol, I like to live dangerously.

Help!

Which do you think is driver and passenger?? Who labels D/R and D/P...

d19dfde5841dec19841b2a8cf7ba285d.jpg

Edit: nevermind, the fronts aren't side specific, just the rears. It's just a manufacturer number for some reason.

Cool build, show some before and after shots of the ride height and stance.

What kind of wheels/tires are you going with? Is the 97 a first gen 4runner?

Goodluck with the build.

I'll edit the first post with the story and pics, I bought it from a CR member 2 years ago.

'96-02 is the third gen 4runner. I had no idea they were such a popular/capable off road rig, still a lot of the tough old/simple 4x4 tech but the first generation with a more comfortable highway presence to compliment.

Wheels and tires will stay for a bit (OE wheel with 265/75/16 largest you can fit stock). Mostly until I can find a good deal on something in the 33" range. Probably on a newer factory 4runner/FJ wheel from the forums. The ongoing debate is whether a skinny, but tall, 255/85 is best, or the wider 285/75.

Are you worried that the uniball in the new control arm may get gunky and corroded? Doesn't seem to be very weather-tight.

Like Heim joints...I remember hearing that they aren't really meant for winter/rainy weather, unless you're OK with rebuilding them.

From what I understand, as long as you keep them greased well they'll last. If they were to become an issue, you can get just the uniball from some of the more reputable companies, and still be money way ahead.

Finally got back to it tonight after a long day of family time. Driver's side assembled, hoping to get the passenger side done tonight, or at least coil/shock in and ball joint ready to beat out without waking anyone up.

FYI, no matter how much heat you use or hard you hit it, the ball joint will not come out of the spindle...........until you remove the snap ring. [emoji15]

Also, it may be a waste of time, but I've been wire brushing any rust I can get to and spraying with black Rust-Oleum rust reformer. Has to be slightly better than doing nothing.733dbf9a4f19bcb3cf7a13c160ed4ff9.jpg

Questions now are:

1. Running boards or no?

2. Keep chrome bumpers or black them, probably with bedliner.

3. Thinking about cutting/trimming the stock bumpers as I won't be buying aftermarket for a while.

Ditch the boards. Get sliders later if you get into it.

Leave the bumpers. Chrome isn't bad. Fit the largest tire you can and enjoy it.

Let the springs all settle before you do anything. You can always add some "trim packers" to the rear which are little donuts above the springs. Should be okay.