'97 4runner DD/budget truck build.

cstmg8

Those cuts look terrible. They look cut lol.

The dude's above with the red sombrero...looks better in the before. He just made it look cheap with blacking out the bumper...looks plastic instead of metal. Unless you are gloss, color-matching it, I'd wear the chrome proud!. Speaking because I have these massive rubber pontoon bumpers on mine lol

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditch the boards. Get sliders later if you get into it.

Leave the bumpers. Chrome isn't bad. Fit the largest tire you can and enjoy it.

Let the springs all settle before you do anything. You can always add some "trim packers" to the rear which are little donuts above the springs. Should be okay.

^ This.

That white truck a couple posts back looks awesome

What you need is a taco front end

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attachments/3rd-gen-t4rs/54653-tacoma-front-clip-3rd-gen-4runner-tacorunner.jpg

Didn't even know this was an option.

Thanks a lot, just what I needed, another reason to spend money on my "budget truck". Don't you have a mini to fix or something! [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Actually after really looking at it, I'm not crazy about the look. The fender flares don't match, and it sounds like there is welding involved to make the conversion.

I think I'm going to stick with the Satoshi grill mod and decide on chrome delete. I can do those myself, basically a gutted front grill and mesh added to look similar to the FJ.

3598574885ea142cbe7acbdfcc2270d1.jpg

Those cuts look terrible. They look cut lol.

The dude's above with the red sombrero...looks better in the before. He just made it look cheap with blacking out the bumper...looks plastic instead of metal. Unless you are gloss, color-matching it, I'd wear the chrome proud!. Speaking because I have these massive rubber pontoon bumpers on mine lol

Agreed, I don't dislike his bumper, but one of the things I like about this truck is that it's 20 yrs old and has a bit of that tough/rugged old suv look. Especially with the running boards removed.

When are you heading to Rush? I really wanted to make it, but we have a wedding in Athens, and I still need to button up a few things to get it trail ready.

We'll have to plan a trip with your Wheeling buddies. Have you been to Southington 4x4?

Agreed, I don't dislike his bumper, but one of the things I like about this truck is that it's 20 yrs old and has a bit of that tough/rugged old suv look. Especially with the running boards removed.

When are you heading to Rush? I really wanted to make it, but we have a wedding in Athens, and I still need to button up a few things to get it trail ready.

We'll have to plan a trip with your Wheeling buddies. Have you been to Southington 4x4?

Rush is tomorrow morning.

I've been to Southington a couple times. It is worth it when you really get the itch, but as far as a regular occurrence goes, the place isn't that worth it. I just kind of drive around all day, and hit some of the hills. There is like ONE trail with rocks which was fun with good spotting. I'll certainly let you know next time I get out somewhere!

I like that Satoshi grille mod.

Been thinking about something like that for my truck: ditch the "egg-crate" grille for some DIY mesh....that's item #587 on my list of things to do.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/g/album/2525527

Use the Raptor mesh, I think they call it slotted. Looks a little less cheap than regular wire mesh. I think that's what I'm going to use.

I like that Satoshi grille mod.

Been thinking about something like that for my truck: ditch the "egg-crate" grille for some DIY mesh....that's item #587 on my list of things to do.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/g/album/2525527

actually clay, you should just paint the egg crate black like the factory up-trim trucks did:

http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/resources/images/F-Series/1981_F-150_2.jpg

there is always the billet grille route:

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fd/images/FDGR1.jpg

not gonna lie, I really like that Satoshi grill mod a lot.:thumbup:

Changed the diff, transfer case , and tranny fluids Friday. Got an alignment as close as possible until a few parts are replaced. I need the panhard bar, and apparently a camber bolt in the front passenger.

Drove it to Athens for the weekend, so it was a good road test. 33's fresh asphalt provided a nice smooth opportunity to feel/listen for any issues at cruising speed. Overall it felt better than expected, just a small vibration that can be felt. Hard to explain, not a shimmy, but feels like something in the front rotating assembly. I blame it on one of two things:

1. The failure to get the pass side completely aligned due to bad camber bolt.

2. I haven't installed the diff drop yet, so the front cv joints are at a decent angle.

Is that metal that's powercoated, or painted?

Or is it some sort of heavy plastic?

PC'd metal

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/toywerx-05-11-made-to-order-satoshi-grills.171169/

He does just sell the mesh

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/satoshi-mesh-for-sale.153905/

Dude on the Tacoma forums makes Satoshis, but I don't know if for 4Runners. Just sharing that this mesh is saweet looking

livelskipm-jpg.2328305

That's exactly the slotted "raptor" mesh I was talking about.

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing major, been running good overall, I still may try to figure out if a 1" spacer or so would be ok to bring the rear up. I'm concerned about shock extension.

Installed some eBay led conversions to replace the crappy dim dome lights. Decent improvement, but I think I'm going to install both strips in one fixture.

I'll get installed pics.

4c054f00d4bbfc86ec25111f84e8a5e1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Revival. The runner has been on the back burner lately, due to the G8 saga. It's still been plugging away as my DD, until I tried to jump a bad battery and burnt up the alternator.

Is this bad?335eb3e8d628b23f58e607a75ca215c6.jpg

Good news is, time for an upgrade!! Because I plan to add a winch, maybe an amp, and maybe an inverter, a bigger alternator makes sense. A popular mod is the c144 alt from a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood with windshield heater. It has a higher idle amp at about 90-100 vs stock 4runner at 40. The peak amps are caddy 150, 4runner 85. So it's a significant improvement, and much more affordable than the $400 aftermarket alts.

With an advance Auto coupon, I was able to get a reman and harness for about $115 including core charge.

Check out the difference in size:

2052b75101f10e650b237c2fb3d4c371.jpg

Only a few modifications are necessary, one being a spacer for the upper bracket, and the other being the new wiring harness.

After removing the old one, I decided to attack the harness. The wires are a bit different, but the new plug is labeled, and I have schematics for the 4runner.

9f0aaf10a58a98fcb940cf20b4b0905a.jpg

The F is the sense wire

S is the field/ignition

L is the lamp

And P is the stator wire, used for old school tachs, which won't be used.

I decided on weather tight spades in case I want to uninstall or switch at some point. Then wrapped in weather proof tape.

Edited by cstmg8

I then upgraded the wire to the fuse box to a 4 gauge, and wrapped everything up.

Install didn't go too badly, I fought a bit with a rusty old tensioner bolt. It bent on me while trying to back it out, but I was able to put it in the vice and get it freed up with the help of pb blaster.

cb434eb144bc5a81329d77bb90532e7d.jpg087c51cfd8991291c25a0bf62436d6cb.jpg

After getting the alternator installed, I decided to finish the wiring upgrade with new chassis and engine grounds. The stock wires were puny. I also picked up a couple marine terminals to replace the crusty old ones.

62a79be62647c2b7febe05a53c5c8360.jpg

8902fbbbae8562932ba4fc60e3213792.jpg

While the battery and alternator were out, I decided to install the thermostat that has been riding in the passenger floor board for a few months (doesn't work for shit there, FYI).

These motors are notorious for air lock, so since I ended up with a thermostat that didn't have a failsafe hole in it, I added one. 1/8" bit.0e13f161fdae1651bca71e5565695d99.jpg

Used the cheap hose clamp pliers I picked up at AutoZone, worked mediocre, slowed it to a drip but didn't stop it.

9e4a9b5c5d67396478c2ad093e40f288.jpg

Took her for a test drive to check the coolant and alternator with torque, and all is well.

56b9c40a5d119d29549294df750b6a4d.jpg

Not exciting upgrades, but necessary, and one step closer to off-road ready. She will be taken off road this summer.

Next up is installing the 1" body lift, mostly to replace worn out body mounts. Then 33's.

2544cca47283f91c99feb86bf216f388.jpg

Ok, so next on the necessity list is a winch. Being a budget truck, I couldn't help but notice the Badlands 12,000 lb at harbor freight is on sale for $289 this weekend.

Seems like a really good price, even if it's no warn.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk