Router advice

gillbot

Tired of $150+ $ consumer routers taking a shit after 2-6 months. I've burnt through several over the last few years and I'm tired of it so I'm looking for Solid recommendations. I'd like to get a wired router and add wireless ap's instead of having an all in one device but whatever, I don't know what to get now. Last few that came with lots of recommendations have died so I want SOLID.

I bought a new Linksys-something about six months ago for $250 and it took a shit like two days later. I traded it in for a "lower" model, a $160 Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 and have had zero issues.

I only have it setup as an AP off WoW!'s modem though, so I can't really speak of its abilities past that.. but I imagine it would work fine. I can get 5GHz out in my yard with this thing.

1754208_rd.jpg

I had that one, it lasted 6 months. Just shut off and never came back on. I dropped down a model or two when I returned it and that one died in 2 months. No more 2.4g wifi awithout rebooting once a day, and if you don't reboot it grinds the 5g to a crawl and eventually even wired devices can't see the internet. I'm going to try and return it tomorrow but I think I trashed trashed the box unfortunately.

I'd prefer not to build, I'd rather buy.

If you are okay with the yearly fee get a Cisco meraki setup. If you have a business or if you can fake one with an e-mail that looks legit they give away some of their hardware after you attend a webinar. It is higher end hardware and all cloud based management. Free tech support. Worth the price Imo. If it breaks while you are paying they send you free replacements.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/appliances/mx64

You can buy their hardware on Amazon as well if you can't get free ones on the webinars.

I bought a new Linksys-something about six months ago for $250 and it took a shit like two days later. I traded it in for a "lower" model, a $160 Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 and have had zero issues.

I only have it setup as an AP off WoW!'s modem though, so I can't really speak of its abilities past that.. but I imagine it would work fine. I can get 5GHz out in my yard with this thing.

I got one of these free from a friend. Said its broken, haven't investigated it yet.

Linksys Velop - Have had our network with 3 nodes, one on each level, for the past 4 months and it's by far been the best coverage and speed I've had. Full speed downloads and uploads from our garage to patio or anywhere. Each unit has the capability of being set up to be wired in too.

The only downside I've seen is that it's strictly configurable through your phone, which is fine for most, but I like the old-school managing of the details via my desktop.

Been VERY Solid for us and stupid easy to set up and use.

ext?w=800&h=800&hash=TVjYtyA3rhRyNzJnFTFt8axLGN4%3D&ora=1%2CaFBCTXdkRmpGL2lvQUFBPQ%2CxAVta5g-0R6nlh8Tw1It6a2FowGz60oISIfYC2G8G2f1spyfNT-tdoDScbKhsgUbfCkGhlI_IfnwEXO5H8m1buPtHNgO1YLnUuW5aBdTayxvq2FtutwNDzsd8MeCQ-TiYXMfl757bAmfEI3RY1kNBzUQ0b6FO7btD38h6BPebsDAL9hEB5JwoLRbmlZzkvWUDOtvno5j_Tw50WHqzbHCBQE8zbf4J0aMIXJlGFzOAtVfgf2BwRqJlVLakVnnhaS5PYOiQ_Rl0k656brwUUqLrCBctWQ52VAgr_tgUGD42OxH5BaJFp4jZjyv4OboW1n71oED1CotqcyuFwaQdnFNplZIYY7BqQ

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I have never had a Linksys product fail on me in terms of reliability or coverage. The one I currently use is not on their website anymore because I have had it for so long. The link below is very similar to the one that I currently have

https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT1200AC/

Sorry to hear your AP keeps shitting out... Hope you find one thats not shit :)

The netgear completely shit itself this morning, went back to my old trusty linksys and surprisingly not a hiccup thus far. Netgear is replacing theirs, it's a nighthawk r7500 but dunno what I'm getting as they said the one I have is eol or something.

I still want to just do a wired router and pop in wap's as needed.

Get an older layer 3 rack mount switch? I run a couple Cisco 3560's, and a nighthawk AC1900 for wireless. DNS and DHCP are handled by a pair of HP rack servers in a failover configuration. I'm only down when Spectrum is down.

Fun aside, any hardware can fail, I get cheap stuff though a lot of it is server grade, but its 10 years old and still plenty powerful for a home geek setup.

I just set up a Google onhub built by Tp link today for my parents. Granted it's brand new but I was fairly impressed by it. Dual 2.4/5gh and it automatically connects based on which is the better connection at the time. They bought it because my mom uses her computer for work and it's on the other side of the house and the old better wndr3400v3 was dropping signal. The Onhub has full bars both 5 and 2.4. Speed is back where it should be. 45mbps down on 2.4 and 55 on 5 in her office.

Believe they picked it up for $110

Replacement router is here, 5g band isn't worth a fuck. I swear I'm gonna bash this piece of shit with a hammer and return it to them in pieces. After a quick google, this model seems to be a basic pile with a lot of issues.

5ghz has borderline zero barrier penetration ability. A magazine can kill the signal. If you're trying to use it in another room, there's your problem.

I still haven't found that fucking edgerouter btw. My advice would be to get a Ubiquiti USG, ebay gigabit poe switch, and just drone ebay for cheapo ubiquiti APs. Not the old APs though, pieces of shit don't even have gigabit ethernet on them.

Nah, it won't let devices connect to the 5g band without a reboot. It's just borked and support just tells me to reboot it or flash the firmware to the latest. It'll connect, last 5-10 minutes then drop and not reconnect again. I may just have to suck it up, leave this pile in place with the wifi off and use old routers cascaded with dhcp off for their wifi.

Amazon has this TP Link C3200 on sale now for $120, I have had it for almost a couple year? No issues and great coverage....

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Tri-Band-Archer-C3200/dp/B00YY3XSSA?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=9fb267e69e6411e79716eee007a647120INT

Looks like you could also go pick up if you didnt want to wait.