E36 Ford 5.0L swap

zeitgeist57

Yeah, grrg...I was enticed to do the project if the free F-150 motor/ECU could be used.

If I'm going to spend a few thousand, I may go back to a $3500 VOHRSCHLOHNG kit and a take-out 4.8/5.3 w ECU....

Bet you won't. :eyes:

It's the more expensive route.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budget + Simplicity + 5.0 Exhaust noise + parts availability win out over whether or not it's played out. 2JZ, even as NA sounds like a lot less direct path, and a less fun end product.

Maybe played out because it's the most logical 7.23/10 times?

It was a 4 cylinder, anything will be an improvement over an 80hp powerplant.

Parts availability...? You do realize a 2JZ came in loads of Lexus vehicles in the 90's, right? It is super rare I can't walk into any parts store and get a 2JZ specific part same day, or even right then. The only struggle I've ever had for a part was anything 1JZ specific, even then that engine is 95% 7M or 2J parts, the only unique items needed even remotely frequently needed are cams seals and that's once every 5 years....

The price you are gonna pay for an LS with T56 anymore would almost kill any fun it would be. Most I've seen have been 1200-2500, if you are gonna spend that much may as well go TR6060 or T56 magnum since then you can at least beat the living hell out of it and not worry like ever.

Meeler is right...I'm not happy unless it's a performance improvement on the highway and streets for wooden nickle prices. As Bloomberg published in an article yesterday: you don't have kids to get rich. I would apply the same logic to cars: you don't throw good money at street-performance vehicles and get rich. I'm not going to overthink or overspend for this project.

Grant, even if the 2JZ swap was cheaper than a Ford 5.0L, you show me the aftermarket support - knowledge/experience of doing the swap, modified engine/tranny mounts, cheap parts into an E36 - that make it better in the long run. I'm not going to make 400+ hp for this BMW. I'm not swapping in cheap power to sell it. I don't want to have it down for months/years while I troubleshoot weird 90s-Toyota-in-a-BMW problems no one else knows about.

http://www.mikaelvroom.com

The price you are gonna pay for an LS with T56 anymore would almost kill any fun it would be. Most I've seen have been 1200-2500, if you are gonna spend that much may as well go TR6060 or T56 magnum since then you can at least beat the living hell out of it and not worry like ever.

I mean, my T56 has held 700+ horsepower all year. Why upgrade? :gabe:

WTF Greg his post literally says why he's not LSxing.

literally every post in this thread has been saying well you need to buy X and you need to buy Y and you need to find this specific motor..... all leading up to my question, if you are going to spend 2k for 220hp then why not spend 4k and get 400hp

Yeah, grrg...I was enticed to do the project if the free F-150 motor/ECU could be used.

If I'm going to spend a few thousand, I may go back to a $3500 VOHRSCHLOHNG kit and a take-out 4.8/5.3 w ECU....

so it sounds like you want the sound of the V8 for stupid cheap, and that is what the truck motor will give you. also you want more power than the 1.8L has, this will also be easily attainable.

Final thoughts: DOET!!!

By all means I am all for seeing this done! Do not take what is said as a deterrent to not do it!

With that said, for what you are doing, and respectably looking to double the power you have now, the 94 truck motor platform would be a low budget option to get there. It would take some work, a few tweaks here and there, and you would have a power limit with out making changes. But to literally shoe horn it in and go you would have less than a grand in the whole swap if you do the leg work to get the parts you need.

Now what I would suggest is get the truck, and see if someone would be willing to trade it for mid 90's mustang (preferably 95 gt manual trans). that way you would have everything you would need to do the swap without much money in it. It would have the proper ecu, engine platform, trans, etc. That would give you the best of both worlds, and still be what you originally intended.

As far as the jz swaps, its more money, but definitely a solid platform. The swap is quite popular in the 240 scene. They make specific kits for the 240 to bolt them right in, not sure about the bmw. But either swap would require custom brackets I would imagine. The benefits would warrant the cost, but it wouldn't be the nostalgic v8 growl or simplicity of a naturally aspirated 5.0L

if the low bar is 250-300hp for as cheap as possible.....

here is an E36 m3 engine for $950:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/d/e36-m3-coupe-1995-roller-and/6293015960.html

Sure it isn't a v-8, and it needs...ahem...some attention but no swap kit, no weirdo adaptability issues. Bolt in with BMW parts and go. leave all the badges in place and you have a sleeper that nobody sees coming.

By all means I am all for seeing this done! Do not take what is said as a deterrent to not do it!

With that said, for what you are doing, and respectably looking to double the power you have now, the 94 truck motor platform would be a low budget option to get there. It would take some work, a few tweaks here and there, and you would have a power limit with out making changes. But to literally shoe horn it in and go you would have less than a grand in the whole swap if you do the leg work to get the parts you need.

Now what I would suggest is get the truck, and see if someone would be willing to trade it for mid 90's mustang (preferably 95 gt manual trans). that way you would have everything you would need to do the swap without much money in it. It would have the proper ecu, engine platform, trans, etc. That would give you the best of both worlds, and still be what you originally intended.

As far as the jz swaps, its more money, but definitely a solid platform. The swap is quite popular in the 240 scene. They make specific kits for the 240 to bolt them right in, not sure about the bmw. But either swap would require custom brackets I would imagine. The benefits would warrant the cost, but it wouldn't be the nostalgic v8 growl or simplicity of a naturally aspirated 5.0L

Joe, thank you for your thoughts. I really appreciate the insight. :thumbup:

I'm going to wait to see what comes of the F-150 deal, as I'll be camping with my friend this weekend at Hocking Hills with our kids.

As a side project, I'll definitely keep an eye out for '95 Mustang GT's (I remember this being the last year for the 5.0L in a Mustang).

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/mustang-gt-95/6308112816.html

I don't mind breathing new life into old parts, where it makes sense.

Thanks again everyone! I do welcome your comments.

Joe, thank you for your thoughts. I really appreciate the insight. :thumbup:

I'm going to wait to see what comes of the F-150 deal, as I'll be camping with my friend this weekend at Hocking Hills with our kids.

As a side project, I'll definitely keep an eye out for '95 Mustang GT's (I remember this being the last year for the 5.0L in a Mustang).

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/mustang-gt-95/6308112816.html

I don't mind breathing new life into old parts, where it makes sense.

Thanks again everyone! I do welcome your comments.

Exactly what my long winded point was lol. Especially for what you have in the truck, there is always some kid that will need a truck more than the mustang and would be willing to come off it pretty cheap. Hell even if you go straight up on that mustang, gutted what you needed out of it and sold the rolling chassis you would still recoup most of your losses and sell the truck out right for the same.

Maybe I should look at the 2JZ swap again.

It's not like they sold a bunch of Mustang GT's in the United States or anything. I mean, we live in the MidWest...I wish I could find some cheap V8-powered Mustangs to use for parts...

:gabe:

I Know right? lol

Both are a good option for a fun project. But....

Once the 2jz is in, its done, shouldn't have to pull it for quite some time. And its minimal adjustment needed from the get go. Proper head gasket and studs are all that needs to be changed internally. The rest is all up top with cams, and bolt on's. Hardest thing to figure up is the wiring splicing needed to run the bmw gauges and electronics. Most of the expense is in the custom mounts needed, intake and exhaust. Rest can be done over time to increase power over time based on budget of course lol.

Not to mention, that engine bay is already set up for an inline, so retaining the a/c (if you have it) and all the other odds & ends stuff is more likely.

Maybe I should look at the 2JZ swap again.

It's not like they sold a bunch of Mustang GT's in the United States or anything. I mean, we live in the MidWest...I wish I could find some cheap V8-powered Mustangs to use for parts...

:gabe:

Plenty of n54-n55 swaps fits great looks good and makes power

I'm sure you've seen it, but here's a little break down on cost for the 5.0L swap

http://www.e36v8.net/E36_50_swap_planning%20guide.pdf

Or just more indepth info of it being done before here

oh and one other thing i forgot to mention, ditch the big bulky mechanical fan on the 5.0L. It doesn't gain a whole lot of extra power but definitely allows for better throttle response. That's assuming there is room to fit it in there in the first place.

Edited by Red Beard

Clay I'm literally getting ready to post my buddies unfinished e36 M3 5.0 swap track car project. I can see if he wants to separate the swap stuff he has but he'd want to sell all the swap stuff together. Text me if you'd be interested.

Thanks, Chris. I've already texted Rob. ;) :thumbup:

I think this is more of an "I want the grunt and growl of a V8" over power, otherwise why not toss a turbo kit on this thing and make the same kind of power than the Fox v8? WAY less work, no random communication/wiring nightmares

Personally with the understanding of how much work that extensive of a swap will be and how precious "free time" is plan on this thing being down for a LONG time before she's sorted and street ready. Not trying to piss in your cheerios but this things are more often than not deep dark rabbit holes

I think this is more of an "I want the grunt and growl of a V8" over power, otherwise why not toss a turbo kit on this thing and make the same kind of power than the Fox v8? WAY less work, no random communication/wiring nightmares

Personally with the understanding of how much work that extensive of a swap will be and how precious "free time" is plan on this thing being down for a LONG time before she's sorted and street ready. Not trying to piss in your cheerios but this things are more often than not deep dark rabbit holes

That is unless he goes old school with a carb set up. Who needs guages anyway? :gabe:

Yeah, with a carb setup it could be running in a 3 day weekend.

yeah but then it's a different fuel pump and different fuel line routing, and a little more work and money on the back end to get it running.

That is unless he goes old school with a carb set up. Who needs guages anyway? :gabe:

that's what autometers are for. LOL

I have to be honest though...is this really cheaper than finding a fox body convertible in stick in reasonably the same condition as the e36? If this was one of a million 325i e36 verts I would say banzai with the sawsall, but as a 318i cold weather vert in a weirdo color, it's kind of a rare car to cut up. Not valuable, but rare.