E36 Ford 5.0L swap

zeitgeist57

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is like 1 turbo "kit" for the M42 4cyl - it's like $4500. There used to be a twin screw supercharger kit but it made only 200hp and was like $3K new.

I'm sure someone could make a turbo setup for the M42 out of junkayrd stuff and home made exhaust manifolds (so far two guys on the bmw forums have done it with saab and wrx turbos), but the stock engine is limited to 10psi boost before scattering parts becomes an issue and there aren't lower comp turbo pistons available. You still need to spend for injectors, studs, better head gaskets, and a tune on an OBD I computer.

Or buy a 325 motor (or donor car), which has more aftermarket support than you could ever want for dirt cheap. Fits in the same hole, largely all the same wiring. Toss a cheap eBay turbo kit on it and bang done. No German/Japanese nightmare, it's still got the purity factor of all Bavarian so you can hang out in UA without having to hide your 'Merica keychain.