Vw 3.2 issues

Lauren

Nothing really to report. The older ones where known for timing chain stretch. So make sure you change that when it needs it but otherwise they are a reliable engine. They are a 4 chain design if memory serves me correct, and a PITA to change out. Some have issues with using oil when you beat on them but that's to be expected with abuse.

Note, I have never owned one personally, just worked on them in the past.

Any known issues with the vw 3.2 from early 2000's? I know the 1.8 has sludge issues. What's common on 3.2? What should one look for?

Which model car are you looking at, specifically? "vw 3.2 from early 2000s" doesn't really narrow it down a whole bunch.

2004 touareg 3.2 v6

Okay, so it's a 3.2 VR6(don't let the V6 badge fool you)... pretty much indestructible and dead reliable as long as it's been maintained. I firmly stand beside any VR motor VW has produced- they're great.

These did not have chain guide issues like the 2.8 VR6 counterparts, so really the only thing to worry about on these motors is water pump and any coolant/thermostat housing warpage. MAF can be a wear item on any VW motor, but aside from that, have no worries. Give the engine a look over for any oil leaks or coolant leaks and you'll be good.

If anything, I'd worry more about the 2004 Touraeg around it...early-1st gen electrical gremlins give me pause.

However, I think the Cayenne and Touraeg are fantastic SUV's, if you're into that sort of thing. There's a black 1g V6 Cayenne with a Turbo front fascia and 22" TechArt wheels at my companies' offices in Dublin that I think looks the business, even if it's not really a turbo.

I picked up a 2004 v6 non air suspension yesterday. I wanted the v6 as the v8 is pretty much engine out to servjce and the coil suspension means less go go wrong. Its stupid clean inside and out. It has cracked hose from brake booster and pcv valve so I used that asy bargaining g chip. Ended up paying $2100 from a two owner 134k mile car. Its my winter car and daily beater. Silver exterior with black leather. Other then typical Button fade on controls all electrics work