AR Building/Maintenance Tools

wagner

I have all the parts to build an AR but wanted to see what tools I should get to put it together, and maintain my rifles.

I've seen the "kits" that are out there, just wasn't sure if they were good quality or had everything needed.

Brian I have everything you would need. Your welcome to borrow what I have

Brian I have everything you would need. Your welcome to borrow what I have

Thank you for the offer! I might take you up on that, but at the same time, I'm trying to build my own stock of items so I can service my rifles on my own.

From what I've seen and been told I'll need the following, anybody have some links to what they use so I know what are good manufactures to purchase from?

- Punch Set

-Upper Vice Block

-Lower Vice Block

-Roll Pin Punches

-Castle Nut wrench

I "built" mine with a pin punch and hammer in 30 minutes on my coffee table while watching TV. You don't really need a vise, blocks, or anything special. I tightened the castle nut with a flat head screw driver and hammer. Also the only servicing is done without tools. Maybe a pair of pliers to take the BCG apart. Do you think camandos in bum fuck Egypt are vise blocking their rifles?

TL: DR I have built lego kits that required more time, skill and tools.

Are you going to assemble an Upper?

KillJoy

Not this time.

I have an upper kit from PSA and a stripped lower that I'm going to put together.

I see myself in the future putting a rifle together from the start.

I also want to be able to rip a riffle down to nothing and put it back together.

Not this time.

I have an upper kit from PSA and a stripped lower that I'm going to put together.

I see myself in the future putting a rifle together from the start.

I also want to be able to rip a riffle down to nothing and put it back together.

I have done this, several times. All that is really needed is a set of punches (roll pin punches are better), a hammer and a Castle Nut Wrench.

If you are just wanting to put it together (for now), you can borrow what I used.

Tape is also nice, so you can mask off the areas to not mar them.

:)

KillJoy

I have done this, several times. All that is really needed is a set of punches (roll pin punches are better), a hammer and a Castle Nut Wrench.

If you are just wanting to put it together (for now), you can borrow what I used.

KillJoy

I didnt listen about the tape on my first one...Scratched the upper pretty good.

Needless to say I use tape on them now.

KillJoy

you might also get a pivot pin install tool. Not "needed" but nice to have and pretty cheap.

• 2 weeks later...