Used Teslas?

zeitgeist57

Used ones are hard to source because they don’t have a used outlet only new. Some dealers have a program to buy Tesla’s trade ins but most go to auction then are up for grabs wherever you can find it.

I have been looking for a few months and they are not super plentiful

The thing that jumps out at me is how low of miles they all have, doesn't seem like people are even putting 10k a year on these cars :wtf:

The thing that jumps out at me is how low of miles they all have, doesn't seem like people are even putting 10k a year on these cars :wtf:

Which is crazy, because it's a car you can easily rack up miles on and just charge overnight. Other than the Tesla being nicer, if you are only doing 10kmi/year, something like a Volt makes way more sense because you can still do essentially all of your miles on electric. Me for example, I drive 82mi/day for my commute, I'd get maybe half of my drive on electric with a Volt, because no chargers at work. I put about 16k~20kmi/year on my dail, a Telsa could work for me. My wife only does about 10kmi/year since her work is 11 miles from our house. She drives a Volt and she used 30~40 gallons of gas last year; a vast majority of her miles were on electric.

I would be interested to see a chart comparison between tesla mileage and the mileage of golf karts at "the Villages" in Florida (the country's largest retirement community). I wonder how similar they would be.

$40k+ used car lol nah nah nahhhh.

Teslas are great vehicles but in terms of build quality and interior lol nahhhh.

I'd wait til the 2020 models are around $30k within a few years. That'll be the sweet spot.

Edited by Miller

Me for example, I drive 82mi/day for my commute.

BRUH

My wife only does about 10kmi/year since her work is 11 miles from our house. She drives a Volt and she used 30~40 gallons of gas last year; a vast majority of her miles were on electric.

Well thats better

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=463463528&zip=44011&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D44011%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2018%26modelCodeList%3DVOLT%26makeCodeList%3DCHEV%26searchRadius%3D0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=VOLT&makeCodeList=CHEV&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=VOLT

How is long term reliability on these? Any battery life studies?

$40k+ used car lol nah nah nahhhh.

Teslas are great vehicles but in terms of build quality and interior lol nahhhh.

I'd wait til the 2020 models are around $30k in about a decade. That'll be the sweet spot.

Damn, what a dumb way to live your life. "I'll sit around and wait until 2027 to pull the trigger on something".

Damn, what a dumb way to live your life. "I'll sit around and wait until 2027 to pull the trigger on something".

Waiting for an expensive products' quality to catch up to the pricing is stupid??

You just a big dummy ain't cha boy?

Wait...what?

Why would I pay $40k+ for a used CTS-V with a plastic interior when I can find one fully depreciated and well-maintained for Civic money within a few years?

Facebook likes don't pay the note.

Twitter followers don't help me save money to go to FL.

People paying for depreciation are all the dumbs, son.

Now...used Tesla Model S's are the shizz and I don't have $40k+ for one, but my 'rents do. :cool:

The reason that a lot of these Teslas have such low mileage, the original buyers of these vehicles did not have supercharging and did not travel a lot. The early concerns were that you could only charge it home. Obviously today that is completely different.

When you look at the buyers between 2012 and 2014. Super Chargers were mainly on the East and West Coast in the smattering of them across the United States. Now they’re virtually in and around every city. You can punch a destination into your NAV system and it will tell you which supercharger you need to hit, and for how many minutes you need to stay there.

It’s quite sophisticated. But the primary early adopter was a person that literally drove to and from work and did not travel a lot. Subsequently, The new buyer travels frequently, and the newer cars are racking up higher mileage faster than the older cars.

You can nitpick any brand of car death. Hell, people still can’t decide whether Ford Mustang or a Chevy Camaro is the premium sports car. And those people will argue all day long till their death as to which one is better. But I will tell you once you own a tesla, regardless of what you think about the styling or the interior, you will absolutely want to stay with electric.

I didn’t think I would ever say that. I still love internal combustion engines and I love the sound of a good exhaust. But for a daily driver, I can’t think of a better car than a Tesla. And when another electric car comes out, and it offers more features for the same or less money, I will certainly look. But I will be brand loyal until that happens. Simply because there isn’t anything comparable yet.

Tesla is not only change in the world as to what your expectations are for an electric car. They’ve added features that every vehicle manufacture is copying now. The lane assist that I’m seeing on every car is been a Tesla since 2013. The automatic braking for when you’re about to hit something, has also been there since 2013. I see all the ads for the new Mercedes, Volvo, etc. and they act like it’s a brand new thing. I recently saw an ad for a Mercedes that is self driving. BFD, mines been self driving since January 2015.

Once you have a car that drives itself, it is amazing the things that it catches that you don’t. I Actually have no problem taking a look at a text, when my car is self driving. It’s probably a better driver than me. Regardless of what you read in the newspapers or magazines, that is probably funded by big oil, these cars are absolutely awesome.

Ask, and you shall receive. Sled, for someone who is looking at a used S, can you give us a quick overview of the different trims and such? Whats the dif between a "performance" and a "base". Which ones are fun, which ones have the best range, yada yada?

Absolutely,

The first thing you choose is battery size. They started out at 60 kW, then went to 70 kW, then went to 85 kilowatt.

Because people start traveling and wanted more range, the 90 kW and 100 kW are now the most popular. And the smaller batteries have been eliminated.

Once you choose your battery size, then comes your performance Adding a P to the designation, adds a whole Lotta things to the car in a package. It adds the carbon fiber spoiler, red calipers and an upgrade in performance, as well as air suspension. This package is usually pretty expensive, but is completely worth it if you’re totally about performance. The difference can be up to 1.5 seconds in the 0 to 60 category. Example would be a 85 would do 0 to 60 in four seconds, where a P85 will do it in 2.9 seconds. This is totally unnecessary as the standard car is plenty fast compared to most everything out there, but if you were really looking to blow people away and live performance, the P upgrade is worth it.

From there, its either the basic interior, which is a ballistic cloth or leather. Now it’s a pseudo-leathe, called vegan leather, that is actually extremely buttery soft and wonderful.

You can get a stereo upgrade, you can get dual home chargers which will charge faster at your house.

In 2015 came the big additions of Ludicrous power, 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds. And they also added the all-wheel-drive which was dual motors. That designation is a D on the emblem.

They also added auto pilot which allows a car to drive continuously in a lane for as long as that lane exist. The next phase is self driving, while this module is available for purchase right now. It is not active. This will allow you to put a destination in for the car and it will actually drive there, obeying all traffic lights, traffic and will make turns.

For Ohio drivers, I always recommend the biggest battery you can afford, the D for all wheel drive, and what other options you want to add on top of that. The P, is just if you super love speed, and the other options are self-explanatory.

The really expensive items are P, D, and auto pilot with self driving. Hopefully this helps.

BRUH

That's per day, not per way; it's only 41 miles each direction. Almost all highway, takes me about 40 minutes. I live in the city and work in the country, so I'm opposite most traffic and hardly every hit any jams. Mostly importantly, I live where I want to live and work where I want to work. The drive is just the 'sacrifice' to do so. :)

I thought we got a smoking good deal on her car, 3 year's old (2013 we got in 2016) and around $15k, but that one is crazy cheap!

I don't have any deep specifics, but I did do some research when we got her's and they seemed good. I ready somewhere that GM claims 0 battery replacements due to desegregation; meaning the miles went down enough for someone to say 'this battery needs replaced'. That's coming from the OEM, so, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Over the span of 1st gen cars, the battery size/milage did creep up so that one has a lower mileage on the battery spec since it's the first year. It only went from 35 miles on 2011-12s to 38 miles on the later 2013+ 1st gens, so probably not a big deal with the price.

She's loved it as a daily, and the driving I've done with it, errands on the weekend or when we go to friends/family, it's been great. Not by any means a car that should be worth $40~45K new, but a great car for $15k, or would be I think a very, very nice $9k car used daily. The depreciation seems to be pretty steep on these from new, so they seem like a great deal used.

We will see the 2nd gens (53 mile range) starting to turn 3 years old in about a year. Will be really interesting to see those prices. If the range was 53 miles, her gas consumption would be significantly close to 0 I think. That would be enough to get me to work, then if work hard chargers, to get me home. I think that part is they key to electric (PHEV) cars 'taking over', if the cars had 30+ mile range on battery and you could plug in anywhere to charge/top off, gas consumption would go down significantly.